Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to start planning the 2010 Edition of our annual Colorado Scenic Convoy to the Summit!

This convoy is meant to showcase some of the best scenery Colorado has to offer on the way to Ouray from the east. If you're driving to the Summit from all points east of Colorado, I highly encourage you to consider running with us vs. going out I-70. I-70 is beautiful and a little faster, but that route pales in comparison to this route through the mountains.

Since this will be our first year with the baby, it may take a little longer than before. That being said, we should still get to Ouray by 4:30 or 5pm.

Here are the details so far:
We'll be meeting in Colorado Springs (actually closer to Manitou Springs) on the 21st at around 8:00 am (Leaving at 8:15).
We'll proceed west on US-24, over Ute Pass, Wilkerson Pass, and Trout Creek Pass toward Buena Vista. There's usually a Denver convoy that meets us outside Buena Vista at about 10:00am, so that'll be our first stop. We'll head south on 285, then west on US-50 over Monarch Pass. Our last stop is usually Gunnison, just before we hit Blue Mesa Reservoir (the largest lake in Colorado). From there we head to Montrose, then down 550 to Ouray.

Here's the route in Google Maps:
cs_ouray.kmz - Google Maps

There is NOTHING like seeing 10-15 FJ Cruiser headed down Monarch Pass & rolling past Blue Mesa, it's a sight! We always have a great time & for the out-of-state folks, maybe I'll even narrate the route :)
Ok, maybe not...

RSVP here:
mobaganda* - '10 FJ Summit Convoy - Co Springs to Ouray

·
Registered
504 Posts
im in again, and this year ill try to be on time and not have to drive like hell to catch up :p

·
Registered
225 Posts
Im doing close to that route myself. Ill be coming from my sisters house in Denver, and will be stopping at a couple places in Bailey. I grew up there and want to show my wife and kids my old stomping grounds. Its much different than Hellizona I live in now. I might catch you all on the road.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Wish I could convoy there but coming from Texas, however we are going to Denver after the summit so that route sounds great.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Still out...in class

·
Registered
728 Posts
Im in guys...I live up in Florissant so I will link up with you as you pass thru. CB radio anyone? Rob

·
Registered
348 Posts
Reminds me of the time a few years back when I decided to find out how many Colorado mountain passes I could cross in one day; great scenery....have fun!

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Im most def down for the convoy, count me in. Just hope I don't slow anyone down, my gas milage sux!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wish I could be in the convoy that would be fun

hope to take this route back sunday though

how about a goodbye Ouray front range convoy for sun?

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wish I could be in the convoy that would be fun

hope to take this route back sunday though

how about a goodbye Ouray front range convoy for sun?
That might be something we should look in to. As it turns out Angie's job will prevent us from leading the convoy this year. I certainly hope a few of you will still be able to go, but we most likely won't leave the Springs until after noon on Wednesday :(
I hate to break tradition but there's no way I'd ask Angie to drive all the way to Ouray with the baby alone. If anything changes I'll let everyone know. Hopefully you still will have a convoy though :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do we have a CB channel to find each other? I might be meeting up with you in Buena Vista, but might find you somewhere else on the route.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wish I could convoy there but coming from Texas, however we are going to Denver after the summit so that route sounds great.
Sorry... don't mean to get off topic on the thread... but just thought I'd ask TOYFJC if anyone puts together any off-road trips in the DFW area? Just moved to Frisco, TX and I saw you live in Frisco as well.

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
Do we have a CB channel to find each other? I might be meeting up with you in Buena Vista, but might find you somewhere else on the route.
I agree, we should determine a CB and HAM channel so when we are all driving in we can keep in contact.
Any suggestions? I know on our trail runs we typically run on channel 4 for the CB. Any suggestions for a HAM frequency?

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the past the CB channel has been #7 and we usually run the standard 146.520 for HAM simplex. I also usually monitor the repeaters along the entire route ;)

·
Registered
894 Posts
As long as I am still going in the morning and plans haven't changed I will be their. Just hope someone takes over for Shane to run the show.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just as a feeler, who could head out on the 20th? Im a trail leader again this year and want to get some early runs in so im thinking if heading out a day early. If anyone wants to join me they are more than welcome to. We will be taking the same rout as the original convoy just one day before.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts