Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier in the week I started a thread about my 4WD becoming inoperative. I had several helpful responses and some of them referenced an issue with the accuator. I took the car to the dealer this morning and it turns out that is what the problem was. I was lucky in that they were able to pull it, clean all of the electricals and re lube everything which saved me about $350 or so for a new one. I did get hit with about 4 hours labor at around $450. I have not tried it yet but it should be okay. For those of you that use the 4WD infrequently, I suggest that every few weeks pull off on a soft surface and run the 4wd through all of the detents to keep everything loose and lubricated. Apparently these things can kind of seize up and get in failure mode as mine did.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Good advice. :rocker:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Use it or lose it! Never had a problem with mine...then maybe because I use it...

·
Registered
460 Posts
This should be outlined in red... A lot of people don't regularly need their 4WD so they end up not using it which isn't real surprising. Why use 4WD if you're driving on dry pavement. On the other hand, why buy a 4WD vehicle if you don't need one.. But that's another question all together and wholly irrelevant. Anyway... The first time I used 4WD in my truck after I bought it new, I found the shifter to be slightly stiff, but after regular use (yes I use it all the time) it's gotten to the point of being absolutely butter smooth. Like was said before, use it or lose it!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't use 4wd unless it's needed (that has now changed!) as it's kind of fun seeing how good these things will do just using the rear wheels. I have not been into the deep woods mud all over the truck type wheeling. Apparnetly the accuator is not easy to get to....there are pics posted of it's replacement done by another member on the earlier thread I started.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's me again, ha ha. Okay, this morning I tried the 4wd and the lever moves freely now, however, the 'vsc off' light and the green 4wd indicator light (the light showing the 4 wheels with the front wheels turned) stay on even though the lever in in the neutral position and the truck drives like the 4wd is not on. I am going to try a battery disconnect to see if resetting the computer helps, if not...back to the dealer. This is an 07 by the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had the same problem. Got in my FJ to go to work on a snowy day and it would not engage the 4WD. The cost to replace the front differential locking actuator was $820. The vehicle is still under the power train warranty, but Toyota does not define this a a power train component.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They should have tried to rebuild yours like they did mine unless something was smurfed up in there. Every time I talk to an FJ owner since my problem I remind them to "use it or lose it" as they say. :cheers:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I fully lubricated all of my 4L and 4H parts this past weekend clawing through the snowpack in the Appalachian Mountains (that ice layer was a b*tch). Thanks for the tip!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts