Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 4WD isnt working the green light is flashing, i took it in to the dealer yesterday they tell me its the 4WD HI detector and sais it was on the side of the transfer case. Ive tried to search for the detector online to buy one but cant find it. I cant even find a picture of where this sensor is on the case so i know where to look
anyone have a source for the detector and maybe a picture showing where its at? the dealer wanted $380 for the detector and to install it, it seems ive seen on here some place they are about $100 and if its easy to get to i might as well do it myself
any help ? thanks

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,768 Posts
That sensor is on the top rear on passenger side and can be a major pain to get to. Instead of replacing I bypassed it by installing a switch to activate 4wd on the dash. However in my case it turns out the sensor was not the problem...was the actuator needed replacing. And ecu codes will not discriminate between the two problems. It’s hopeful that you were not immediately told it’s the actuator, something Toyota routinely does because very often it IS the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my concern is to take it in they want another $380 to replace the sensor and if thats not it then what? I ask about the price of the AAD I think it was $450 without install

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,768 Posts
I know exactly what you are saying...and that’s why Toyota just replaces the acutuator. I shopped online parts sites and found a good price for one (definitely less than 450-) but forget where. Might try Toyota of Cool Springs and ask for their Forum discount. Installation is pretty straightforward. But swapping out that sensor can be a really time-consuming task, and ridiculously hard to reach.

Oh did you ask whoever diagnosed it as a sensor what made them so sure it wasn’t the ADD?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
no you dont get to talk to the tech you talk to the service adviser heres what the paper said i got
was able to verify the manual 4wd shifter was working properly and engaging the transfer case but not the front diff. was able verify that the 4wd hi detection switch was reading no resistance in 2wd when shifted into 4wd still reading 0 which indicates the switch is not operating and communicating with the front diff recommend replacing the 4wd hi dectection switch

it was $159 for the diagnoses and they wanted another $380 to replace the switch, i called the parts department and the switch is $102

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you say its the sensor on the passenger side theres only 1 on that side.it had blue wires to it . it didnt look to bad to get to, I would guess you need a socket with a slice down the side for the wire, at least i can see the sensor
I looked at the ADD and it looked like a pain to do

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,768 Posts
Ok it does sound like the sensor is not sending signal forward to the 4wd ECU and consequently to the actuator. I hope it is the sensor, not either of the other two items I just mentioned. You could go ahead and purchase the sensor at a better price online and give it a try yourself. I read about a some specific tools that greatly helped with removal in that tight awkward space, but do not recall where - in a thread on this forum....perhaps try a google search to access. Lots has been written here about that sensor as well as ADD issues over the years.

Edit: Yes only one sensor on passenger side, and I think it’s also the rearmost one. Sorry my pics don’t capture it but the new wires point to it’s general viscinity up there. And from memory I think it was a socket with a slot cut that others have used, but worth checking. Some people have had success with repairing the actuator and I did attempt to but apparently had too much corrosion. However others have successfully repaired it - internal mechanism is quite simple. Bolting in a new one isn’t terrible either. Hopefully it’s just a sensor!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts