Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

341 - 360 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Let me see if I can recall correctly, I believe it was roughly $1000-$1500 to get the propeller shaft replaced. And I believe it is a Lexus part # they are now replacing the old Toyota one with. I was fortunate because I felt the issue immediately and this forum actually posted the TSB so with that in hand the service writer had no argument. I also recall the part was back order for close to a month. Now that its fixed, no issues!

Good Luck guys, I hear greasing is a temporary fix.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Guess I'll just have to suck it up and live with it. Hoepfully it is just more f an annoyance than a mechanical issue. Really shady for toyota to not have this on a recall.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If they can recall driving lights I think we should get the NHTSA involved in this. If we all call and tell them that critical drive line parts cause an unsafe lurch forward while applying it releasing the breaks maybe they will listen.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It is beyond comprehension that so many years after the TSB came out, and expired, that they are still installing faulty driveshafts!!!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
If they can recall driving lights I think we should get the NHTSA involved in this. If we all call and tell them that critical drive line parts cause an unsafe lurch forward while applying it releasing the breaks maybe they will listen.
I couldn't agree with you more, I was literally floored when I saw the recent recall for the lights and know that this issue and the shuddering transmissions are both issues Toyota should be recalling.

Oh and by the way, the manager at my local Toyota dealer was very much aware of each issue which leads me to believe that Toyota is just waiting for the consumer to come forward with the issues and will deal with them on a case by case basis rather than recall them all.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more, I was literally floored when I saw the recent recall for the lights and know that this issue and the shuddering transmissions are both issues Toyota should be recalling.

Oh and by the way, the manager at my local Toyota dealer was very much aware of each issue which leads me to believe that Toyota is just waiting for the consumer to come forward with the issues and will deal with them on a case by case basis rather than recall them all.
That's how it works, no complaints no fix. I noticed the problem when I first got mine 7 1/2 years ago. It seems it only happened when I had the A/C on. I just grease the yoke.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a service appointment to have the rotors on my 07 looked at by the dealer (they are still under the used car warranty), and i also mentioned that i wanted them to look into the driveshaft TSB.
We'll see how it goes this monday :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
SO just a bit of an observation on my part.

Last weekend I did an oil change and lubed the 6 zerk fittings along with it. Before I did I was able to get the "Clunk" to happen on demand. After about 200 miles from the lube job I can no longer make it clunk.

Put about 4 pumps of grease into the slip yokes so it is a bit coincidental that this may have fixed the issue.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi guys, just a quick question:

Is the clunk/thunk noise heard if coming to a stop in neutral?

I have a '10 with 65K miles and I hear a clunking sound when I come to a quick stop (not sure if it's coming from the rear). However, this goes away if I come to a stop in neutral. Can anyone with a similar experience confirm that the issue is the rear propeller shaft?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Mine is going Tuesday with the TSB printed out. They are picking it up, along with a list of other things (grease, oil change with my oil, tire rotation, rattle in passenger door speaker with bass (Willie Nelson, track 7 on CD in truck :lol:), and something else I'm sure :lol:, oh yes, check the breather vents of tranny, locker, diffs).
So, we'll see how it all goes !!!!

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Propeller Shaft replaced !!!!!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,998 Posts
Nice shaft Moose!

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Just had mine (2012) done last week, no dealer issues. Told them what it felt like, they drove 2.3 miles and ordered the part. 4 days later it was done. Much thanks to everyone here, I would have gone nuts trying to figure out what the "clunk" was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi . I have the Same problem Feel a push/ boost after Stop. My question is if I replace the propelor- shaft This will solve the problem? According to your experience? Or should I replace all rear drive-shaft. Fj 2007 AT5 48000 ml. I am not from USA so i have to order the part to my Country. Thank you ((-:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

341 - 360 of 428 Posts