Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

381 - 400 of 428 Posts

·
Admin
7,002 Posts
I greased my slip yokes more than I had previously and it reduced this issue to the point that I hardly ever feel it.

The last time I took the FJ in to Toyota I mentioned this issue and the guy there said caused by under-greasing the slip yoke. While I inherently distrust dealerships, I figured I would give it a try, and it seemed to work for my circumstances.

EDIT: While it did seem to help, it certainly hasn't gone away.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
So this problem...

There seems to be a camp that says the dealers will ignore the service bulletin that specifies that the 60K mile power train should cover the work. Then there is the camp that says they fixed it without questioning it.

Does having a lift or any aftermarket suspension affect how they respond to the service bulletin (reject or do the work under warranty)?

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
I think it's just the dealer. If you go in with the printed out TSB, what can they say?

I actually mentioned the issue to my dealer BEFORE finding the TSB and they basically blew it off. After giving them the TSB #, no questions asked, and done.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
my dealer didnt even ask for TSB and my 13 was not even on the TSB list but they replaced it anyways.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Mechanics do not like most recall/tsb
Jobs because they don't pay we'll. The dealer does not profit from these jobs either. If you go in armed with information there is not much they can do to avoid doing the job
For free.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I greased my slip yokes more than I had previously and it reduced this issue to the point that I hardly ever feel it.

The last time I took the FJ in to Toyota I mentioned this issue and the guy there said caused by under-greasing the slip yoke. While I inherently distrust dealerships, I figured I would give it a try, and it seemed to work for my circumstances.

EDIT: While it did seem to help, it certainly hasn't gone away.
This is how I got rid of mine. I pumped into 20 pumps of grease into the slip yoke zerk, drive for a week, pump in another 20 drive for another week and from then on repeat until the thunk/clunk is gone. I have a 2007 model. Hope this helps whoever is still trying to fix this issue.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I took mine in twice for this TSB. the first time they said they greased all the zerk fittings and told me to drive it around to see if it still continued. I brought it back because that did not fix the issue. Then they told me that because they didn't feel it bump like the description, they couldn't do the work for it. I'm going to try my luck at another dealership. The one I went to is either lazy or incompetent. I have a 60 mile round trip for work every day and it happens several times each day.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just test drove one last Friday and it was doing exactly the same thing. I mentioned the rear propeller shaft and the idiot salesman looked at me like I was speaking alien. Most of these salesmen and even service writers have NO clue what they are talking about nor doing. I won't be going back to that dealership.

·
Registered
30 Posts
FINALLY a solution!! I purchased my 07 with 50,000 miles and the extended warranty (that thing has saved me a ton of money). The thumping feeling has been happening since day one but I never really thought anything about it.
My extended warranty is getting ready to run out so I thought I'd go see me service advisor (the best ever) at Toyota Grapevine. I described it and he brought the shop foreman out. The foreman knew exactly what it was and told JP to get TSB #***.

Got a call from JP yesterday afternoon that they ordered the part and to bring it in today. The foreman told me it won't completely get rid of the thumping but it will help a lot.

I'm sending this post from my customer waiting area at Texas Toyota Grapevine and just waiting for them to finish!

Can't wait to get into it and hopefully not feel what I've put off for too long!! I love this forum, it's amazing!!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
FINALLY a solution!! I purchased my 07 with 50,000 miles and the extended warranty (that thing has saved me a ton of money). The thumping feeling has been happening since day one but I never really thought anything about it.
My extended warranty is getting ready to run out so I thought I'd go see me service advisor (the best ever) at Toyota Grapevine. I described it and he brought the shop foreman out. The foreman knew exactly what it was and told JP to get TSB #***.

Got a call from JP yesterday afternoon that they ordered the part and to bring it in today. The foreman told me it won't completely get rid of the thumping but it will help a lot.

I'm sending this post from my customer waiting area at Texas Toyota Grapevine and just waiting for them to finish!

Can't wait to get into it and hopefully not feel what I've put off for too long!! I love this forum, it's amazing!!
it wont completely get rid of it but you will feel a lot less. it's just the nature of the design. I imagine using moly lube on the slip yokes will dramatically reduce the binding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got the rear propeller shaft delivered today not bad 2days .anyway i have had this exact problem from day one on a brand new 2013 fj .i told service on first 5000 mile check they greased it .it was good for about a month brought it in for 18monthcheck brougt up the shaft again one hour later iwas told shaft was inoperable and was ordered a new one that day.ihope this really does the job people can say what they want that it really doesnt do any damage or you get used to it but hell for $36000 dollars i want it to work right from the get go this is an engineering issue

·
Registered
702 Posts
I had mine replaced by the dealership 2 years ago. Wheeled it all over Las Vegas and Arizona in that time. Not one issue with the shaft, you should be good to go. This the first time I've heard of a fairly new FJ (2013) doing this.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Greasing the driveline ZERKS and slip yoke removes all the symptoms for me! I have an MT but that shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, my fj has this problem but i can also feel the same exact bump when I switch from drive to neutral after coming to a stop, this only happens if I dont stop smoothly? are these two issues the same thing?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
:flame:
2014 FJ, auto trans. 5200 miles on it.
Just this week it started thumping when going from a coast to hard acceleration.
Not loud, but a definite thump you can feel thru the floor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought my FJ on Friday, noticed Clunk on sat.

Took it back to the dealer today and the service manager knew all about it right off the bat. Told my salesman "Yup only way to fix it is to replace the driveshaft"

So even though I didn't buy the warranty, they better damn well fix it since it's a known issue and they shouldn't have sold me a car with that issue.

381 - 400 of 428 Posts