Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

401 - 420 of 428 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Bought my FJ on Friday, noticed Clunk on sat.

Took it back to the dealer today and the service manager knew all about it right off the bat. Told my salesman "Yup only way to fix it is to replace the driveshaft"

So even though I didn't buy the warranty, they better damn well fix it since it's a known issue and they shouldn't have sold me a car with that issue.

Certified? If so, it's their dime

·
Registered
6 Posts
Grease gun works wonders but they should fix it , about a 650.00 repair
$807.00 Repair actually.

Their fighting me on it. Offered me $200 (referral fee) to shut up and go about my merry way. Driveshaft cost was $650 + Disposal + Labor and taxes.

Currently waiting to hear back from the GM. But if they don't fix it I'll try greasing it.

But the three service advisors I spoke to today ALL knew about the common problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had to fight them but they called this morning and said they will cover the repair WHOOOHOOO no more clunking driveshaft!

I had to go all the way to the GM to get er' done.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Got mine replaced yesterday. :)

The first time I took it in they wouldn't replace it; their techs thought the clunk was coming from the left rear and torqued this and lubricated that and thought they had fixed it. Wrong. So I sent them a grumpy email and they called me and agreed to do it...not sure why they made so much effort to avoid doing a 15-minute driveshaft swap under warranty (I am at 53K), particularly for a problem that Toyota has acknowledged.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had my 2013 to the dealer today for my 20k service. I have had the thump since new and was told that the tsb only applied up through 2012. I convinced the Service Manager to look up the bulletin and it now applies through 2013 models. I setup an appointment to have it checked, hopefully they will change it out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The thunk is not the only issue......though technically some would argue the forward u-joint (Bolted to TC output flange side for rear out put) isn't the part of the drive shaft itself......

Anyways....75k, 75 mph...the front u-joint failed completely, and dropped the shaft. DS u-joints greased within last 2 weeks. Seems there is an advisory out about that.....I had a bit of trouble seeing grease come out all 4 bearings, and 1 side of the trunion bearings appeared to be lacking upon close examination after pulling the shaft.

Makes a hellacious racket going that fast. Pull over-no damage because the good fairy was watching, tie up the shaft, go 4 hi, and get the hell off the hiway.

Drove the FJ home(122 miles in 4 hi)and am currently in the middle the replacement process.Just a note, the FWD(FRONT) pumpkin has been hanging with me.863 HWY miles, 215 city miles so far. I do not recommend
anyone do this by the way-the front wheels fight each other when accelerating from dead stop for obvious reasons.My intention is to go 4.56 in the pumpkins, new seals(I run 35x12.5 18's), get a longer driveshaft/slip splines, and rebuild the cv's-or get new front axles, so this is really just a bit of necessity and a bit of experiment.At speed there are no issues, and I keep checking the cv's and pumkins for heat build up with a laser thermometer.I have since nixed the hiway driving,and use it for short hops around town until all the parts show up.My real point in sharing the rest of that was that Toyota does make an impressive product -when they get it all right anyway.Still no metal flakes in the front pumpkin>:D

Now if I can just resist the urge to get into some RCV front axles ....where there is a will, there is a way.

Oh ,and the thunk would always be back within a week of greasing the slip yoke .....

·
Admin
6,588 Posts
Damn! Glad you made out alright! Definitely sounds like a pucker moment! :lol:

Thanks for sharing your "adventure"... keep us posted on how things turn out!

:cheers:

·
Admin
6,588 Posts
FYI.
I've just upgraded my suspension (Icons) and rear links (MetalTech)...

I have not experienced the thunk since. I think it's gone! (it was really bad)

My guess is the rear links solved it for me. My old ones were bent ever so slightly (one side more than the other) and I bet they had some flex in them.

I haven't even greased my drivetrain yet... so it's the exact same drivetrain but with MetalTech offset rear links and the new suspension.

Hmmmm.

·
Registered
109 Posts
FYI.

My guess is the rear links solved it for me. My old ones were bent ever so slightly (one side more than the other) and I bet they had some flex in them.

I haven't even greased my drivetrain yet... so it's the exact same drivetrain but with MetalTech offset rear links and the new suspension.

Hmmmm.
I've been noticing what sounds like a thunk in my rear passenger lower arm. I have not greased the drive train yet but I did install lower link skids a couple months ago and ever since then I have the thunk when breaking and hitting a small bump. I'll be greasing today and we'll see if that solves the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
FYI.

Hmmmm.
I've been noticing what sounds like a thunk in my rear passenger lower arm. I have not greased the drive train yet but I did install lower link skids a couple months ago and ever since then I have the thunk when breaking and hitting a small bump. I'll be greasing today and we'll see if that solves the issue.
I just had Rocktek skids put on my lower links and I also now have noise coming from the back. I haven't trouble shooted it yet. Sounds like we might have the same issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have few question if anyone might know or can help out?

So is this issue more on the 07-12 FJ's or all FJ's?

So does the new replacement shaft fix the issue?

Does Toyota FIX this issue under a RECALL or does the owner still have to pay for something?

If any of the used FJ's out there in the US that have over 60k-100k miles and has not had a drive shaft replace will Toyota do the rework (replace the drive shaft)?

Or is it easier to replace it with an aftermarket drive shaft?

What have some of you'll done to fix this issue by yourself?

Thank you

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I have few question if anyone might know or can help out?

all FJs

So does the new replacement shaft fix the issue?

YES

Does Toyota FIX this issue under a RECALL or does the owner still have to pay for something?

NO recall , if you're under warrentry you won't have to pay anything , otherwise your stuck paying 100%

If any of the used FJ's out there in the US that have over 60k-100k miles and has not had a drive shaft replace will Toyota do the rework (replace the drive shaft)?

Yeah the repair at the dealer is about 800.00

Or is it easier to replace it with an aftermarket drive shaft?

NO , use OEM Toyota parts

What have some of you'll done to fix this issue by yourself?

Pump the yoke/driveshaft full of grease for a few bucks compared to a 800.00 dollar repair, works fine

Thank you
Sure

·
Registered
33 Posts
Awesome and thank you ZoSoIV!!!

So now I will continue looking for another FJ since mine got totaled out ( I was going to look for a 2009 GX470, but I love the FJ)........ My old FJ had the issue, but I never got around to fix it......

Thank you

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Sure no problem , good choice via the FJ is the same quality vehicle as the Lexus and lots more fun tho drive

·
Registered
687 Posts
The only thing I'd say a little different is this. The "issue" is supposedly only affecting the '07-'12 FJCs. The official Toyota TSB only covers those years. From what I've read (admittedly just in this thread), the driveshaft was redesigned for the '13 year model so that it no longer happens. (Edit: someone above said that they now extend it to the 2013 models.)

I just know that the official TSB (that I had) specifically stated 2007 – 2012 FJ Cruisers. Since even the 2012s are nearing the end of their warranties this year, soon no one will be covered.

I had this issue myself on my 2012 TT. My warranty expires in July of this year so I got it down to the dealership (with a copy of the TSB) a few weeks ago. They tested it, found it had the problem, and ordered me a new driveshaft. They installed it a week later. Thank you, thank you, thank you to the people that added all of the info to this thread. That noise was driving me nuts.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Has anyone gotten Toyota to replace beyond the 60K? I just picked up a 2nd FJ for my wife with 245K miles! And guess what.. Drive shaft thunk!
I am going to stop in where I got my 2014 from and see what they say...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 08 4x4 with 60k on it, I'm being told my vehicle is excluded. When the dealer pulls the TSB they say it should cover FJs for 10 years and 150k.......then they tell me I'm excluded. Is anyone else running into this? I opened a case with Toyota corporate, will update if I hear back.

401 - 420 of 428 Posts