Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without being laughed off the board:

I am wondering if there is any 4WD training available in Northern California that would be an addition to what I either know or don't know. I have had an International Scout, a Jeep Cherokee and now the FJ. Mostly I have used the 4WD for getting to hang gliding sites, and have done light 4 wheeling for a long while. The potential performance that is available with the FJ makes me think that it would be a good thing to increase my knowledge to take advantage of it.

Any advice or suggestions?

I am sure that there is probably a number of people that might feel the same way as I do. I doubt that I am alone on this one.

·
Registered
246 Posts
firekat said:

I am wondering if there is any 4WD training available in Northern California that would be an addition to what I either know or don't know. I have had an International Scout, a Jeep Cherokee and now the FJ. Mostly I have used the 4WD for getting to hang gliding sites, and have done light 4 wheeling for a long while. The potential performance that is available with the FJ makes me think that it would be a good thing to increase my knowledge to take advantage of it.

I am sure that there is probably a number of people that might feel the same way as I do. I doubt that I am alone on this one.
http://www.4x4abc.com/4x4training/index.html

http://thedrivingcompany.com/Courses.htm

·
Registered
22 Posts
If anyone laughs at you for wanting training, they probly dropped out of school in the 3rd grade
training is a good thing, will put you miles infront of the laughers
I did a google search with "4x4 school" and came up with pages of hits
try it

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Google links about driving tips, look up 4x4 clubs in your area and see if they have any meetings...

Borrow a friend's rig and learn to drive in it as not to annihilate your new Toyota on a rock:p

But, seriously, you're never too experienced to learn something about off-roading. And it's best to learn from pros than walk to the highway for an ambulance.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Bill Burke (the guy who trained the FJ Trail Team and ran the Rubicon w/the FJ for Toyota) does training. While he's based in Colorado, he has a traveling road show of sorts and it's worth checking out his site here:

http://www.bb4wa.com/

My wife and I are both planning on taking classes from Bill. Given we're in Colorado it's convenient but his reputation seems to speak for itself. Now that we have a vehicle in hand I can start sorting out specifics -- I'm thinking of contacting Bill Burke to see if they can do a custom group session and what the costs and head count requirements are. If I find any specifics I'll be happy to post them here if others are interested.

I've always maintained that any day I learn something new is a good day -- regardless of the subject and whether I'm an expert or novice. Training for off-roading or anything else always pays dividends in the long run.

Thanks to the original poster for raising the subject. We all benefit from this type of discussion!

·
Registered
46 Posts
huc said:
Bill Burke (the guy who trained the FJ Trail Team and ran the Rubicon w/the FJ for Toyota) does training. While he's based in Colorado, he has a traveling road show of sorts and it's worth checking out his site here:

My wife and I are both planning on taking classes from Bill. Given we're in Colorado it's convenient but his reputation seems to speak for itself. Now that we have a vehicle in hand I can start sorting out specifics -- I'm thinking of contacting Bill Burke to see if they can do a custom group session and what the costs and head count requirements are. If I find any specifics I'll be happy to post them here if others are interested.

I've always maintained that any day I learn something new is a good day -- regardless of the subject and whether I'm an expert or novice. Training for off-roading or anything else always pays dividends in the long run.

Thanks to the original poster for raising the subject. We all benefit from this type of discussion!
I agree. I am the type of guy who loves a new "vechicle" for learning something new. I have never been officially off roading, but am really
looking forward to the learning experience. I would really be intrested
in a course, even if it is not in my area. Any excuse to get the FJ on the
road with the family would be worth the reason I purchased it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
FireKat-

I had a friend that took this class... she got a lot out of it-she was a complete novice at the time, but just ran some pretty hectic rocks on Hammers this past weekend...

Esprit de Four hosts these training sites at Hollister Hills...

I copied this off of Cal4wheel's web site:

Esprit de Four 4WDC of San Jose is proud to present its continuing series of beginner off road driving classes. 16 years and going strong! Classes are scheduled for May 20, 21, Sept 16 & 17, 2006 at the Hollister Hills SVRA in Hollister, CA. Hollister Hills is about an hour south of San Jose.

Who can attend? Our courses have been specifically designed for the novice driver. More experienced drivers also benefit from the classes as we cover new improvements in 4x4 technology and techniques every year. New drivers with a STOCK off road vehicle will be shown the rigors of off road driving in a friendly and helpful environment. Students come away from an ED4 safety training clinic with a newfound understanding of their own vehicle and its capabilities. Our students give us high marks. Students often attend year after year and bring friends.

What do we do? Your day begins with some classroom instruction conducted by some of the most experienced drivers within ED4. This is followed a hands-on live demonstration training! Your group then has time for Lunch to talk with Staff and your trail lead. (this BYOL bring your own lunch).

Each student then gets an opportunity, to experience actual off road driving using their own vehicle!

During the trail ride, students in small groups are lead by experienced instructors. Stops are then made at different “off road driving venues.” These venues have been carefully designed to challenge the driver with basic and everyday off road challenges without introducing a high degree of risk. Since safety is of paramount importance, instructors are stationed all along the way to encourage and offer assistance each and every driver. All drivers get to watch others in their group drive over and through the different challenges. In most cases an instructor will make the first pass through an obstacle so as to provide an actual demonstration.

Come join the members of Esprit de Four 4WDC on one or more of the following dates: May 20, 21, Sept 16 & 17, 2006 in Hollister, CA. Those interested in attending any of the four separate (but identical) classes should get their reservations in as soon as possible as these classes tend to fill up. Sign up for dinner and enjoy some good stories of your day.

You can obtain additional information or sign up by one of the following methods:
Download registration form for
May 20th & 21, 2006
or
September 16, 2006
E-mail:
Doug Greig @ [email protected]
OR
Stephen A. Pieraldi [email protected] or 650-352-6009

For more information view our web site at http://www.espritdefour.com

·
Registered
165 Posts
firekat said:

I am wondering if there is any 4WD training available.....

I bought the Bill Burke dvd "getting unstuck" and found it a great way to absorb the information as I can watch it over and over if I want instead of just having a one time demonstration. Just my two cents.

Here's a link if you don't already have it.

Bill Burke "Getting Unstuck DVD"

I highly recommend it to anyone interested in 4x4'ing.

Cya on the trails (or off them). :)

Shawn

·
Registered
62 Posts
huc said:

Huc, I'm based in Denver and would love to attend a group session. By all means see if we can get a class together.

·
Registered
13 Posts
huc said:

I did a Bill Burke one day (morning and afternoon) in Anza Borrego. It was a great class, but there were too many people. It's difficult when you need to line up 20 trucks. I haven't done their limited 6 truck excursions though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My wife took the Esprit de Four course at Hollister Hills when we first bought our Jeep. She really liked it as she had never driven a 4x4 before that. The Capital City Mountain Goats offer a good course at Prairie City OHV in Sacramento (Rancho Cordova) also.

·
Premium Member
12,179 Posts
I'm trying to find one here in Canada, but I'm having poor luck in my search. i would like to recieve some formal training instead of my usual screaming down the road(trail) with my hair on fire, devil may care and damn the consequence learning. Any help on Canadian schooling would be great. Thanks

·
Banned
76 Posts
good for you more people should ask questions instead of being a dumbaZZ and having to get rescued later.
step one
go get the 4x4 bible ( its real and a great read, older than dirt but still applies to today )
step 2
go for a trail run on a easy outing with a local toyota/jeep whatever club im sure they would love to teach ya some stuff
step 3
have fun fixin up your fj to what you need to have more fun wheeling

1 - 17 of 17 Posts