Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 automatic 4WD FJ and this is my second winter in interior Alaska. When temps get really low, shifting into 4WD gets difficult if it has been sitting outside for a few hours. The tranfer case shifter is hard to pull back without "extreme" force compared to normal, until things warm up.

Does anyone else experience this? It is resistance at the shifter lever and not really an issue going into 4WD once the lever is moved.

·
Admin
6,863 Posts
I've experienced this a few times as well. If possible I try to warm things up a bit by driving around or idling in neutral if I can't do that (with my foot on the gas a bit to keep up the rpm's so I actually get some heat).

If I'm doing an overnighter in the bush in the winter I will just leave it in 4Lo or 4Hi.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Are you running synthetic or conventional gear oil in the transfer case?

If conventional, switching to synthetic will reduce viscous drag when the lube is cold, and should improve shifting into 4H range.

·
Admin
6,863 Posts
^ Definitely run synthetic!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you running synthetic or conventional gear oil in the transfer case?

If conventional, switching to synthetic will reduce viscous drag when the lube is cold, and should improve shifting into 4H range.
I am definitely running synthetic. It feels more like the shifter is frozen in place and after a few minutes of driving I can shift it with my pinky lol

Just a minor inconvenience when leaving work and there is weather that I'd rather be in 4WD and I have to stay in 2WD or really yank on it (which I don't ever want to)

·
Registered
20 Posts
It wasn't as cold here, but we recently had a cold snap and some snow. I drove to work on Monday, it shifted from 2H to 4H (and back again) easily. The next day (roughly same temps), it would NOT shift from 2H to 4H - same thing as the OP, like the lever was stuck. Luckily, the snow was light and I was able to drive for a bit in 2H to warm it up to see if that would fix it. Still wouldn't go. I stopped at a light, put the trans in N and tried, still wouldn't move. I figured I shouldn't mess with it on the road (in case the tcase gets stuck in N or something). So, I drove home, backed up my driveway (with a slight incline), put it in P, put on the parking brake, then it shifted into 4H no problem. I don't know if it was going into reverse, being in park, or what 'fixed' it but then it worked fine after that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts