Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll, I'm just starting to get into wheeling as I'm in a college town with a lot of guys and their Silverados/F150's/Rams who like to go mudding.... ALOT.

I have a 4x2 with BFG AT's and a 3in lift. My question is, how far should I push the FJ and is there really any limits to how far?

Also, If I'm out by myself one day (no winch) and nobody to back me up, how safe should I play it? Hills, surface, etc...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
avoid mud at all cost if your alone and you just going to have to figure it out when your out with your buddies, if you keep some speed up you will be surprised at how far you can go. Also do you have a rear locker ? this will help greatly 4x2's are tough but if your rear end loose's traction that's its... be sure to air down

·
Registered
104 Posts
Play it very safe.
If you don't have a choice, lock the rear diff and use as much speed as you possibly can. (safely)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Don't try to go through soft sand, small river rocks or too deep mud and snow. I've gotten myself out of mud about a foot deep rockin back and forth on the throttle. If your going to drive through sand make sure you have enough speed to get throught the soft stuff. You might need help going up small 'waterfalls' if you don't air down correctly. Other than that you should be able to handle anything else.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, I've got a rear lock thank god..... Most of the stuff I've been dealing with so far has been dry sand on artificial beaches and mostly dry dirt

·
Registered
190 Posts
Avoid soft beach sand at ALL costs...I had to pull one(4X2 FJ) out of beach sand a few weeks ago and it was a beotch! Friggin thing is heavy!! I pulled two other cars out and couldn't even tell I was hooked up to anything...lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I've got a rear lock thank god..... Most of the stuff I've been dealing with so far has been dry sand on artificial beaches and mostly dry dirt
You just wait till the rain comes. I always get the itch to turn off the road into a mud hole when it does rain here. But, everything here is 'Private Property"....Texas:eek:utofcloset:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You just wait till the rain comes. I always get the itch to turn off the road into a mud hole when it does rain here. But, everything here is 'Private Property"....Texas:eek:utofcloset:
I might be making a transfer to Oklahoma State at semester. It's not Texas, but hopefully I can find something in between Stillwater and my hometown (Southlake-Dallas area) that's not private property!

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
If i had a 4x2, and wanted to go wheeling, a winch, after tires, would be one of my first purchases as you will get stuck a lot more often in stuff a 4wd can make it through easy.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I would suggest to bring a few friends along with recovery gear...I would not be afraid to take risks as I have found these have givin me the most excitement. I would push things to the extreme to really know what the FJ's capability. You might be surprised how far a 2X4 with a locker can take you. Until you really turn things loose and take a few risks you may never know what you have! Sooo go for it!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm in Memphis and always curious for more trails. Where are yall headed?

x2 for the "mis-adventures"
It's a small little place to get some speed up and get's really fun when messy. It's along Lake Sardis, it's really dry so it's a good place to get a little dirty when it rains.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's a small little place to get some speed up and get's really fun when messy. It's along Lake Sardis, it's really dry so it's a good place to get a little dirty when it rains.
I think I know where that is. I'll be passing through in a few weeks on my way to Jackson. This will be worth stopping through for a little bit. BTW, nice muddy truck.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I know where that is. I'll be passing through in a few weeks on my way to Jackson. This will be worth stopping through for a little bit. BTW, nice muddy truck.
Basically just got past the Ole Miss golf course turn in. Just keep going past and the road ends at Lake Sardis. It's really easy.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts