Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

4x2 MPG

15K views 31 replies 27 participants last post by  MartinbuiltFJ 
#1 ·
I wanted to see what all 4x2 owners are getting for gas milage, is it better than then the 18mpg that toyota rates it.... I am going to mostly be driving around town nothing crazy.. I just wantedto see what the true milage was.. thanks for your help!

#2 ·
mine fluctuates quite often. it really depends if i gas it or drive conservatively. if i gas it , of course it drops quite a bit, but if i take my time, i do make more than 22mpg on the highway. i keep the cruise steady, just enuff for it to get me home in a decent amount of time. city driving, well, i guess it depends as well. and u'll see the difference, like i said, it depends on ur style of driving as well...

#3 ·
DO NOT buy this truck if you need/want good mileage. It just isn't going to happen. A 4X2 will get better mileage than a 4X4 but that's besides the point as the FJ still has the aerodynamic profile of a brick. This is not an economy vehicle.

#8 ·
I live in the city and its stop & go I get about 18 mpg. the truck is a box on wheels. if worried about gas consumption buy a pruis hybrid. its great offroad.
The original poster was just asking what you 4x2 owners are getting for mpg, that's all. No need to lecture him on fuel economy. :D

Anyway, I barely have any miles (read: not broken in yet) & I'm averaging roughly 18.3 mpg with 50% city/highway.

#4 ·
when my light comes on it is usually around 300-305 miles on the trip meter. I usually fill it up within a couple of miles of the light turning on , which takes 15.0-15.1 gallons. so...... right at 20 m.p.g. using premium in every fill up. The one time i tried blue gas i got around 17 m.p.g. , so I won't do that again. besides , We are only talking .18 to .20 cents more per gallon, which is 3 bucks more per fill up. so premium = 20 m.p.g.

#5 ·
I live in the city and its stop & go I get about 18 mpg. the truck is a box on wheels. if worried about gas consumption buy a pruis hybrid. its great offroad.

#28 ·
That said, my auto 4x4 gets 18 to 20 MPG when in 2 wheel only.
Pretty good, IMHO, for what it is!...gm

#6 · (Edited)
20MPG with 87,89,91, or 93 and a mix of city and Hwy.
Lite comes on at 300 miles, when I fill it it always takes 15plus or minus a little. With 4gal in the tank I should have near 80 miles to go.
Got the same with my Ford Sport Trac V6 4x2. I am a Happy Camper with my 4X2.
It is so consistent I just watch my trip meter instead of the gas guage.

#7 ·
I have averaged 17.1 MPG for the last 6 months in Los Angeles traffic driving 100 miles per day.

#9 ·
thanks! anyone else... Do you think I could get 23 mpg driving around Naples? I know a guy who has a 4x4 and he said he was getting that much mpg..

#12 ·
My average with a stock 5AT 4x4 over all tanks (20 so far) is 22.825 mpg, have hit 25 once, and 24 twice. All my driving is rural & highway, at the speed limit (+/- 5 mph), I mostly drive like an old man and I live at high altitude so my results are not indicative of the norm here. But it is possible under the right conditions.

DEWFPO

#11 ·
I'd say the only way you're going to consistently get 23 MPG is driving on the highway at a constant 60 mph and coasting on the hills. It is what it is.

#13 ·
it all depends, just wanted to ask, I want an FJ nothing else ever since I saw the frist one at my local dealer last year... its so fun to drive one to!

#14 ·
I'm getting, averaging about 15 mpg. AT - 4x4, where the hell is the supercharger? If I'm gonna get poopy mpg I'd midas well go fast!

#15 ·
It definitely saves on gas(vs. the 4x4) if you dont floor it everywhere!

you also save 240lbs of weight i believe with the 4x2 ?

That's like having ray lewis hanging on to your underbody when you drive? :roller:

#18 ·
Around town,,15-18 mpg. On the highway,,20-22mpg. do any better than that, I want to know how you do it!:bandit:

#19 ·
I've got 1500 mi total.

City driving I usually get 17, but just had a tank come in at 14.

With 1/2 highway in there I've seen 18.5.

I've given the wife many lectures on light throttle and it seems to work but we just spend a lot of time at red lights around here, and it's stop and go every block for stop signs etc.

91 octane.

#21 ·
With a tank mainly driven in the city I get only 13mpg in 2wd mode on my 4x4AT...I hope it'll improve a bit in the future, as its still quite new (1000 miles). I get 18mpg on the highway....this car is a gas sucker, so if gas milage is any concern, stay away from it - else a really great vehicle!!!!

#23 ·
My daily trip is 100 miles to and from work. About 50% is highway, 30% rural driving and 20% city. I just got my FJ and on my second fillup I got 21 MPG. The engine only has about 700 miles on it so it is not quite broke in yet.

#24 ·
16 mpg... all city with a few short, but hard blasts on the freeway. But, how do you put a price tag on such a neat ride?

#25 ·
I have been monitoring my mpg by noting the miles traveled and the volume that the tank will take before auto shut off during fill out. Not sure if this is an accurate method. I have excluded data where premature shut off occurred at certain gas pumps.
My commute is ~42miles and it is mostly highway. I have also monitored during road trips where I only got off the highway to fill up.
If I am cruising at 55mph, I consistently get just over 23mpg
at 65mph, it drops to ~20-21mpg
at 70-75mph, its ~18mpg
at 80-85mph, its ~14-15mpg.

This is a 2008 4X2 with between 80K and 90K.
The data was taken over ~3months over a summer in east Tennessee. Hope this helps someone!

#26 ·
It sounds like you are tracking your mileage correctly, if you are consistent about tracking miles driven versus gas pumped.

What is really interesting about your observations is the huge drop between 70-75 mph and 80-85 mph. I do not consistently drive above 80 mph and have only tracked mine in the 70-75 mph range a few times. I note similar mpg with my 2012 4x4, with the exception that you seem to be beating me by 1 to 2 mpg in the 55 mph range. I am typically averaging 21 mpg when cruising at speeds of 55-65 mph and around 19 mpg when in the 70-75 mph range.

#29 ·
I have a 4x4 FJ with 35s. I get like 9mpg. Ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.