Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Will Be Traveling Camping Gravel Road Dirt Road Maximum Can Get
4x2 Really Cheap What Would U Do
WHAT??? Ok, here's how I read it....

I will be traveling, camping, and driving on gravel and dirt roads at maximum. I can get a 4x2 really cheap. What Would U Do?
See how grammar and punctuation make a big difference?

Welcome to the site. I have a 4X2 FJ Cruiser, and it takes quite a bit more than dirt or gravel roads to get me stuck. This is an off road monster....but the true monster is the 4X4 FJ Cruiser. For just about $500 more, you can get a 4X4. Get what you want, and remember, you may get hooked on off-roading just like the rest of us.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
PM sent to you!:)

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
WHAT??? Ok, here's how I read it....

See how grammar and punctuation make a big difference?

Welcome to the site. I have a 4X2 FJ Cruiser, and it takes quite a bit more than dirt or gravel roads to get me stuck. This is an off road monster....but the true monster is the 4X4 FJ Cruiser. For just about $500 more, you can get a 4X4. Get what you want, and remember, you may get hooked on off-roading just like the rest of us.
Haha, i was thinking the same thing. Untill i remembered that a lot of foreigners are on here and how bad my spanish is.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Check out the 4x2s on this forum! We rock!!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
4x2 are just as good but when you go offroading you always have it in the back of your head that if you get stuck... there is no help other than someone hopefully passing by to help you out.... with 4x4 there is alot more things you can do and 4x4's are funner to fix up.... either will do the job but if you dont mind paying lil extra... get the 4x4 you cant go wrong with that... offroading turns into an addiction.....:rocker:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
4x2 are just as good but when you go offroading you always have it in the back of your head that if you get stuck... there is no help other than someone hopefully passing by to help you out.... with 4x4 there is alot more things you can do and 4x4's are funner to fix up.... either will do the job but if you dont mind paying lil extra... get the 4x4 you cant go wrong with that... offroading turns into an addiction.....:rocker:
Hmmmmmm...I'll bite my tongue!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Family & I go often on dirt and gravel roads, and this is where the FJ shines. Even when the road has turned to mud & water.

The way I see it, if I'm taking my family thru an area that I NEDED 4x4, it's probably someplace I don't need to be taking my family thru.

You may want to find out if the 4x2 you are getting has the rear lockers and traction controls, because they'll help out. Also, if you're worried about getting stuck and nobody coming by to pull you out, you can always add a winch...

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
I think it is definitely worth it, I just do!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Go for it!!!! buy the 4x2, you don't be disappointed

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hmmmmmm...I'll bite my tongue!
X2!!!!

However, I will say, that out of the 40 - 50 times I've had the 2wd FJ off road, I've only been stuck twice!(FJVP was there for one of those times) How many of you 4X4 guy's can say that?? With 2wd one must think more, that's all.:wave:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
My 4x2 was well worth it. Never been stuck yet that I could not get myself out of. Locker is well worth getting, if you can afford it.:wave:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
X2!!!!

However, I will say, that out of the 40 - 50 times I've had the 2wd FJ off road, I've only been stuck twice!(FJVP was there for one of those times) How many of you 4X4 guy's can say that?? With 2wd one must think more, that's all.:wave:
X2!!!!!!

Got to pick the right lines or oops......Line please. But I must say that Scott had a go at it and darn near made it. The hill was hella smooth, rutted out and he has no locker....

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Well, since you asked....I have a 4x4 and been off road a lot more than that and have never been stuck. But I offroad alone most of the time and so I have learned to "look before I leap". I like the 4x4 because it can go that little bit extra, but if you are not going to go on difficult trails and cost is an issue, the 4x2 will be very capable. I also have a 97 Jeep TJ and have gone on some pretty serious trails without shifting into 4 wheel drive, so if gravel roads are your limit and you don't think you'll ever get the itch to do more, then go for it.

As a side note, 4x2's have successfully run all of the trails that have been chosen for group rides at the FJ Summits.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
X2!!!!

Sorry, but thats a competly usless comparasion. Unless you do the exact same trail/obsticle that it took to get the 4x4 stuck then your comment just doesn't hold water.
I'm not trying to be a dick to you, or any of the 4x2 owners here. I'm sure you and others have done some good wheeling in your rigs, but in reality a 4x2 just isn't going to go the same places a 4x4 will. For me personally, if i bought a 4x4 my intention would be to turnit into a prerunner as 2 wheel drive is more suited for that style of off roading than trail running.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts