Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 4X4 AT with about 4K miles on it. I've notice that when I come to a almost complete stop. The transmission seems to jerk into gear. Not a smooth stop but it feels like a noticable downshift. I've also notice this sometimes when I start from a stop. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
do a search with subject " lunge" alot of threads on it

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
I have a 2011 4X4 AT with about 4K miles on it. I've notice that when I come to a almost complete stop. The transmission seems to jerk into gear. Not a smooth stop but it feels like a noticable downshift. I've also notice this sometimes when I start from a stop. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have learned recently that is caused from flex lockup in the torque converter and it is normal. It depends on engine RPM, vehicle speed and load on the transmission. Toyota uses this to let the transmission work in-between gears and still allow the torque converter to lock up. If you google flex lockup you can understand it a little better. I notice it when the heater is on the AC pump kicks in changing the engine rpm too.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Don't worry about it. You will get used to driving your FJ habit so it doesn't "lunge" as much.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All, thanks for the info. I not worried since I now know that it's normal. I'm loving the FJ. :bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts