Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lovely wife of....what, 28 years or something?...decided the other day to drive the 6MT with 4WD selected on the transfer case. My fault, 'cause I had previously had the console apart to install some extra 12V sockets and had moved the shifter into 4-by and never returned it when puting things back together.
The wife, noticing that funny looking pictograph on the dash lighting up just kinda scratched her head and took off for a good 50 mile drive on dry pavement. She later commented why the steering seemed so hard when maneuvering in the driveway and parking, etc.
So, I get home from work and lay my hands on her (the FJ) and all is well. Should I be concerned about any damage to the drivetrain?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Use the guilt to get a lift, some new tires...................maybe some other bonus we can't mention here.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Use the guilt to get a lift, some new tires...................maybe some other bonus we can't mention here.:cheers:
But Geezer said he's been married 28 something years. So he don't get no bonus we can't mention here. :lol: Just go for the tires/lift. If she still drives okay(the FJ)you're good.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Its been two months and my wife still won't switch from 2by to 4by without calling me first.
My wife does that with her 4X4 Frontier. :lol:

·
Premium Member
91 Posts

I like the sound of that.. Certainly a lift or any other gift can make things up ;)

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Pretty sure she ruined a whole bunch of stuff.

Just to be safe you should replace the wheels, tires and UCAs. While you're at it, you will surely want to replace the stock suspension with a lift. And just in case there are any lingering effects, a nice set of skids will keep anything from falling off underneath.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pretty sure she ruined a whole bunch of stuff.

Just to be safe you should replace the wheels, tires and UCAs. While you're at it, you will surely want to replace the stock suspension with a lift. And just in case there are any lingering effects, a nice set of skids will keep anything from falling off underneath.
Sound advice, I need to milk this for what it's worth. 28 years of married bliss does not license one to irresponsibility.
What really bugs me is that she called me at work to report the issue, and I said "it's in 4 wheel drive....pull the lever and take it out". Still couldn't figure it out (you have to pull the lever with a little bit of force...guess she thought it was already pulled back as far as it would go). Oh well, new rig and all that. Still, what a great opportunity to do some important mods to replace all the stuff that's been trashed as a result.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Sound advice, I need to milk this for what it's worth. 28 years of married bliss does not license one to irresponsibility.
What really bugs me is that she called me at work to report the issue, and I said "it's in 4 wheel drive....pull the lever and take it out". Still couldn't figure it out (you have to pull the lever with a little bit of force...guess she thought it was already pulled back as far as it would go). Oh well, new rig and all that. Still, what a great opportunity to do some important mods to replace all the stuff that's been trashed as a result.
Don't ever let her read this. My wife of 35 years or something is always sneaking up behind me when I'm on this machine. She takes advantage of my hard of hearing condition.:lol:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't ever let her read this. My wife of 35 years or something is always sneaking up behind me when I'm on this machine. She takes advantage of my hard of hearing condition.:lol:
You speak volumes of wisdom! If she were to read all this, I would probably disappear off the face of the earth.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
This is a good 'learning opportunity' for her (and others). Whenever an unusual instrument panel light is on STOP and shut off the engine and talk to your husband BEFORE driving anywhere.

I have seen friends ruin engines when the oil pressure light or high coolant temp light came on and they continued to drive because stopping was 'inconvenient' and they didn't think that the "BRIGHT RED instrument panel light that just came on all of a sudden" meant anything serious.

DEWFPO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts