Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Have any 4x2ers done this combo?? is it smart? is it possible? what kind of a ride can I expect?
I have this setup on my ride right now. 5100's in the front with 4x4 springs in the second clip position and 4x4 rear coils will sit you almost level...put a load in the back and you will be level. this is a bit stiffer over stock and performs better both offroad and on road, plus it looks better. im sitting about 1" higher than a stock 4x4 in the back and my front is completely level with the back with the 5100's in the third clip position. id start out with the second clip psition and see how you like it because in the third clip you will be sitting a tad bit like a prerunner with a load in the back...ill try to post some pictures but for the time being, my ride sits about like this one...just a tiny bit higher in the front.

I highly recommend the 5100's and 4x4 springs to anyone who doesnt want to spend big right now on some ICONs or something. I installed mine by myself in about 3 hours. you need a spring compressor.goodluck:cheers:

·
Registered
718 Posts
heres a few pics...ill get one of the back too later.

once again, thats the third clip position sitting completely level with no load in the back.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, sweet ride. I haven't even thought about the back springs, but it sounds like I shoud change out both if I go with the 5100's or just lower the setting on them.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I have a 4x4 but I'm running the 5100's in the front with the factory coils and it's great. Very comfortable ride and mine sits pretty level.... maybe a little higher in the front at the 1.75" setting (3rd from bottom). I can try to get pics for you when I get home.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thanks, sweet ride. I haven't even thought about the back springs, but it sounds like I shoud change out both if I go with the 5100's or just lower the setting on them.
id put the 4x4 coils in the back too. they are a bit stiffer and a bit higher over the 4x2 springs. I picked a full 4x4 setup with 1K miles on it from someone on the forum for $50. the 5100's cost me another $200. the second clip position with stock 4x2 coils in the rear will still be level but if you drive hard you will bottom out the back and front quite often. the rear 4x4 coils have an extra coil (6 vs 5) and are about 1" longer.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
By the way... If you're looking to buy these struts there is a seller on ebay that has an ebay store. I bought a set of these that I had on my Tacoma from him and then a set for the FJ and they're priced great with quick shipping (and no i don't know him or get paid to say that). His store is Downsouth Motorsports I believe

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thats where I saw the 5100's on ebay, great price. I'm just getting the 4x4 front springs from a forum member but not the rears. I may have to search that out. 4x4 springs on all 4 5100's up front and stock shocks in the rear. I'm not going to be off roading much but I would like to level it out and tighten it up a bit.

I think I might just put the front 4x4 springs on with 5100's at zero and that will have me level. If I decide to go up from there I can at least use the 5100's.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thats where I saw the 5100's on ebay, great price. I'm just getting the 4x4 front springs for a forum member but not the rears. I may have to search that out. 4x4 springs on all 4 5100's up front and stock shocks in the rear. I'm not going to be off roading much but I would like to level it out and tighten it up a bit.

I think I might just put the front 4x4 springs on with 5100's at zero and that will have me level. If I decide to go up from there I can at least use the 5100's.
4x4 springs and 5100's at 2nd clip position in front with 4x2 springs in rear will be level. the problem with the 4x2 springs is that they dont hold a load. the second you put some people in the back its gonna sag but the front will be stiff. its kinda hard to get the 4x2 to sit level in all conditions because of how soft the stock suspension is. 1st clip (0 lift, actually has some lift since strut is longer than stock) wont exactly level you out, front will still be a bit lower.

·
Registered
718 Posts
not sure how much ebay is buy I got mine from toytec with no tax and very cheap shipping...all for about $210 total.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the Gibson too and love it, my brother got his from ebay but I wanted a valid warranty(the winter salt here destroys metal) so I got it here. gibson 5100, or you can try one of the vendors here on the forum, they are allways having sales/specials. Either way its a great system and very easy to install and for the price you give it a look.
:rofl:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the Gibson too and love it, my brother got his from ebay but I wanted a valid warranty(the winter salt here destroys metal) so I got it here. gibson 5100, or you can try one of the vendors here on the forum, they are allways having sales/specials. Either way its a great system and very easy to install and for the price you give it a look.

·
Registered
718 Posts
theyre talking about bilstein 5100's with 4x4 springs...not gibson exhaust.

on the other topic, i also have the gibson. it sound nice but I wouldnt buy it a second time. customer service wasnt that great, first mufler had a whistling noise, exhaust gets smashed by axel and tip is not a side exit so it always hits on rocks...id probably go for jba next time which by the looks of it that will be soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts