Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I didn't get this in on time yesterday, but after reading all of these great posts on what a 4X2 can do and the coveted "pre-runner" status that it carries, I became totally envious.

I'm in the process of converting my 4X4 to 4X2 with a conversion kit manufactured by 4-1 Engineering, which includes necessary components for the front suspension change out.

It also includes an adapter that converts my existing transfer case into a PTO winch (so I won't have to remove my transfer case and change the length of my rear drive-shaft).

Anyway, I'll post up pics as the project progresses. Bye-bye front differential!! It's been fun . . . . :bye:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Forget the winch, hook it up to a trail blender so you can make drinks on the fly.

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve is it also true you're thinking about the "tricycle" kit with the single front wheel?
Believe it or not, Todd, that was a serious consideration. However, the front brake ABS conjoiner module wouldn't properly direct the braking efforts to a single wheel. :(

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I did this conversion, but used a really advanced piece of technology that allows me to change between 4x4 and 4x2 whenever I want!! It's truly amazing space age stuff... more info as it becomes declassified...

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Here's the actual conversion kit. Lot's of parts that I'm not too familiar with, but the included instructions are pretty decent.

BTW, does anyone have or know how to use a bi-lateral hepistatical spring compressor?? :confused:
Oh my Steve, I think even you are going to have your hands full on this one! Wish I could come over and give you a hand.......:cheers:

Kim

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used a really advanced piece of technology that allows me to change between 4x4 and 4x2 whenever I want!!
I thought about that particular kit as well, but as much as I wanted a system like that, I couldn't justify the extra $1150 for that version. :worried:

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh my Steve, I think even you are going to have your hands full on this one! Wish I could come over and give you a hand.......:cheers:
Hey Kim, I could use all the help I can get. Plus, it would be great to have your 4x2 FJ handy to do an articulation and ride height comparison.

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Hey Kim, I could use all the help I can get. Plus, it would be great to have your 4x2 FJ handy to do an articulation and ride height comparison.
You should have seen them Sunday with the tape measure out figuring out if my rig was taller than theirs......:rocker:

Kim

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should have seen them Sunday with the tape measure out figuring out if my rig was taller than theirs......:rocker:
I'm just concerned that this conversion kit is going to raise my FJ almost as high as a 4x4. Since it uses the Rancho tie-rod cover, I'm afraid it's going to sit slightly higher to clear the steering components.

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow !! If i only i had money to buy you a 4x2 and take yours ...
Ya know, I originally thought about simply selling my 4x4 and buying a 4x2, but it would take forever to get all my modifications off and re-installed on the new one. So, I'm taking the easy route instead. :)

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
I'm just concerned that this conversion kit is going to raise my FJ almost as high as a 4x4. Since it uses the Rancho tie-rod cover, I'm afraid it's going to sit slightly higher to clear the steering components.
Steve have you checked your garage height buddy? That seemed to be a trend Sunday!!!

Kim

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just don't forget to put the 4X2 shocks on, other wise you'll be riding too high in the front. heck, I'll take your shocks from ya...

Just don't forget, once you make the conversion, you have to use part # 18SOL94-74WTF for the blinker fluid. I know it's kinda hard to find, but believe me, it's worth the extra 39.99 so you can gain that extra 5 1/4 horsepower and up the gas mileage by 2 miles per quarter gallon.

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Just don't forget to put the 4X2 shocks on, other wise you'll be riding too high in the front. heck, I'll take your shocks from ya...

Just don't forget, once you make the conversion, you have to use part # 18SOL94-74WTF for the blinker fluid. I know it's kinda hard to find, but believe me, it's worth the extra 39.99 so you can gain that extra 5 1/4 horsepower and up the gas mileage by 2 miles per quarter mile.
Steve, Nate knows what he is talking about with the blinker fluid. We checked mine Sunday and mine was low so I had to order some more.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Kim

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steve have you checked your garage height buddy? That seemed to be a trend Sunday!!
Yep, I checked. However, even with this 4x2 kit, I'm going to have to install 245 tires in order to squeeze into my not-so-tall garage. That, in addition to the much-improved MPG, is one of the main reasons why I'm doing the conversion. :cheers:

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just don't forget to put the 4X2 shocks on, other wise you'll be riding too high in the front.
I'm going with the Rancho 4x2 shocks that are included with the kit. I'd give you my OME's, but someone told me that they can be used as stronger hold-up struts on the rear glass window.

BTW, thanks for the heads-up on the blinkers. I've been using this cheap Walmart fluid and it's probably not giving me the best fuel economy.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts