Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

I live on Long Island, NY. Literally zero places to wheel exist anywhere here. Legally at least.
I bought my 2010 TT FJ from a guy in upstate NY, who, on the test drive he took me on drove it partially up a trail in Mt. Beacon, NY. It was awesome to see what the FJ was capable of, and I've had the itch to take it off road again ever since.

Now, I look into Mt. Beacon again, and I've found that it's illegal to take a vehicle up it. If you get caught, vehicle gets impounded and all that fun stuff that I want to avoid at all costs. I know that a lot of people are going to point me to Raush Creek in PA. Believe me I've been thinking about it. But I'm looking to go somewhere a little closer to me. Somewhere that I can possibly set up camp for a night as well.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of some offroading trails in upstate NY?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey all, forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

I live on Long Island, NY. Literally zero places to wheel exist anywhere here. Legally at least.
I bought my 2010 TT FJ from a guy in upstate NY, who, on the test drive he took me on drove it partially up a trail in Mt. Beacon, NY. It was awesome to see what the FJ was capable of, and I've had the itch to take it off road again ever since.

Now, I look into Mt. Beacon again, and I've found that it's illegal to take a vehicle up it. If you get caught, vehicle gets impounded and all that fun stuff that I want to avoid at all costs. I know that a lot of people are going to point me to Raush Creek in PA. Believe me I've been thinking about it. But I'm looking to go somewhere a little closer to me. Somewhere that I can possibly set up camp for a night as well.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of some offroading trails in upstate NY?
Not sure of any official OHV areas in NY but I do know there are a ton of fire/logging roads in a lot of the state lands that are sometimes maintained and sometimes not. Either way they make for an enjoyable drive.

It's also funny to hear Mt Beacon is "upstate". Where I am from that part of the state is still "downstate"

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,995 Posts
Anthracite is much nicer than Rausch, and has an attached campground. The Keystone Cruisers (look on the Ih8mud Forum) do a run at Anthracite roughly once a month and are an awesome group of Toyotas :rocker: I'm in VT and have yet to discover any "Upstate NY" trails - in fact many from NY come to southern VT and northern Mass to wheel. Also, Gotham City Land Cruisers is an active group of Toyotas right in your neighborhood! GL :smile

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure of any official OHV areas in NY but I do know there are a ton of fire/logging roads in a lot of the state lands that are sometimes maintained and sometimes not. Either way they make for an enjoyable drive.

It's also funny to hear Mt Beacon is "upstate". Where I am from that part of the state is still "downstate"

Well anything north of the city is considered "upstate" to us long islanders haha. Are the fire/logging roads legal to drive on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive used this to find some places in Schoharie County (close to me).

State Truck Trails and Forest Preserve Roads Over A Half Mile ? Andy Arthur.org

I was checking out this page earlier today. Looks to provide some good info. Biggest thing I'm concerned about is the legality of driving on these trails. I'd love to take my rig off-road, but not with the risk of getting fined or my FJ impounded. Is it legal to drive these roads? What about setting up camp for a night?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I believe most are public access roads.

Some of the State Forests have designated primitive camping spots, if not camping is permitted 150' away from road/ water.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not sure about upstate New York... but we often went exploring in upstate VT/NY/ME, plenty of dirt roads/trails up there.
Doing the Puppy-Dog trail in the FJ would be fun!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Picking up my first Fj today and I'm Suffolk. Are there any car meets for LI'ers?

There’s car meets here and there but nothing really FJ specific. Most folks here are more into the “#stancelifebro” bull****.
I’d like to start an FJ meetup, but don’t know if anyone would really be into it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There’s car meets here and there but nothing really FJ specific. Most folks here are more into the “#stancelifebro” bull****.
I’d like to start an FJ meetup, but don’t know if anyone would really be into it.

I'd be into it, someone should start a Facebook Long Island fj group for meet ups and stuff

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd be into it, someone should start a Facebook Long Island fj group for meet ups and stuff

If people are interested I’ll totally start a group. I’d love to start doing trail runs and stuff with my fellow Long Island FJ people!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For you who are interested, i just created the “Long Island FJ Cruisers” group on Facebook, go search for it and join! I’ll schedule a meetup soon!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts