Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Update* With the crazy weather we had we are going to do goose neck which is a very easy but scenic run. It is about 25 miles long and because of the rain and snow will probably be muddy and slippery. This is why we are not going to do our original plan because things like moab hill are hard enough in normal conditions. After the trail if it isn't too late, china wall is really close and if anyone wants to, we can have a group go there after. I would suggest though if anyone does go to china wall to bring a vehicle with a winch incase the snow made the trail slippery. We will be meeting at 0830 in the circle k parking lot located at :16283 Morrison Road
Morrison, CO 80465. From there we will get on 470 and head to 285. We will take 285 down to pine rd which turns into CO rd 126. I don't know if anyone will want to air down but will can at the trailhead if need be. There is also cedar mountain road right down the road from goose neck and is also another very easy trail if anyone doesn't want to hit china wall. To leave you can take 67 and it splits, you can either got to castle rock or colorado springs, or you can come back the way we came. Hope to see you there

Group Driving Together:
Offroad94+jeep
Jimmy-Buffett
DenverFJ2010
akosfj
Jesster

Possibly going (need conformation after trail change):
RubrsideDwn
Madman#1+4runner

I was planning on doing a trail run sunday if anyones interested. So far I have me and a jeep. Were not sure what trail yet as were both relatively new it won't be anything extreme. Something around the caliber of rainbow falls probably, let me know if your interested or have any suggestions about what trail. Sorry about the late notice I meant to put this up last week but got sidetracked.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
I'm definitely interested, I've been heading to the mountains each Saturday but it has all been just road driving and exploration. Just moved to Denver about 5 weeks ago so I don't know all the trails yet. I'm also inexperienced so I'd be much happier on a fairly easy trail to start.

You guys have CB's? I have one but I haven't been able to try it out yet, so this would be a big help as well to see if I need to get an external antenna before Ouray.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I am very interested! but I haven't picked up a CB yet. Will do that before I get to the Summit.

Keep us up to date on where and when.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm definitely interested, I've been heading to the mountains each Saturday but it has all been just road driving and exploration. Just moved to Denver about 5 weeks ago so I don't know all the trails yet. I'm also inexperienced so I'd be much happier on a fairly easy trail to start.

You guys have CB's? I have one but I haven't been able to try it out yet, so this would be a big help as well to see if I need to get an external antenna before Ouray.
yea we both do, do you have a preference on the area we go to? there are trails around idaho springs and also a group of trails around colorado springs air for academy area.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
yea we both do, do you have a preference on the area we go to? there are trails around idaho springs and also a group of trails around colorado springs air for academy area.
I'm fine with anywhere within about 100 miles of Denver, yeah. Probably stuff closer to the front range will be better since it will have less snow and mud, but I'm less scared of getting stuck if there will be other people with me haha.

Traildamage ( TrailDamage.com ) has a pretty good listing of trails and classifications for how hard they are, I went down Metberry Gulch ( TrailDamage.com - Metberry Gulch ) last year around Memorial Day in my Jeep. Except for one muddy segment it wasn't too bad at all. I'm not suggesting it for this weekend, I think with the mud it's probably more of a July-September trail, but the rating scale on that trail is a good guide for the other stuff that I'd feel comfortable doing (anything 4 or less).

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TrailDamage.com - Hidden Valley Road
This one looks kinda cool, there is another called dakan road thats close to it, if you guys wanted we could do 2 or 3 easy trails, they look like they have sone things to play on. Only thing is the dakan road is 22 miles long it says but idk if its one shot or goes into a couple small trails. let me know if you guys have any other ideas

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:mecry: If I had my FJ back I would go :mecry: I sware I am going though FJ withdraw.
Is it in the shop? Someone needs to invent an fj patch like the nicotine patches

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
i would be down to go

·
Registered
930 Posts
They need a Mods Patch!!

I just got my FJ and I am willing to blow every single penny I earn on bumpers, few inches of lift, tires and steelies, armor, flat Gobi rack with tent attachment, etc etc...

It's like I'm addicted to crack.. yet I've never tried it!!

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
TrailDamage.com - Hidden Valley Road
This one looks kinda cool, there is another called dakan road thats close to it, if you guys wanted we could do 2 or 3 easy trails, they look like they have sone things to play on. Only thing is the dakan road is 22 miles long it says but idk if its one shot or goes into a couple small trails. let me know if you guys have any other ideas
ACK count me in for 2-3 easy trails instead, this is from that Hidden Valley Road description:

The second section of whoopdeedoos is much bigger, though. The crack changes every year, but it is always very deep. If you slip in, you could easily end up sideways in the crack, laying on the side of your vehicle. It is soft dirt, though, so you could recover your vehicle and end up without damage. It would be a good idea to travel this section with another vehicle who can pull you out if you get stuck, though.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
I'm going to Illinois Gulch that day with my dad and a couple of people from his Jeep club. I know a few of us just did this one a couple of months ago, but I thought I'd throw it out there if anyone's interested.

If you guys are going to be in the same area, I might try to hook up with you at some point if you end up doing something else.

I was also talking to him about the Saran Wrap/Eagle Rock area...has anyone here done that recently? Bad idea with a mostly stock FJ?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if you guys dont want to do hidden valley and dakan road there are also a group of gulches that look pretty fun called metberry, hackett and long water. Metberry and longwater dont seem very difficulty and both have a rock slab to climb, or if you guys want we can go to illinous gulch like jester and do some trails there.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I was planning on doing a trail run sunday if anyones interested. So far I have me and a jeep. Were not sure what trail yet as were both relatively new it won't be anything extreme. Something around the caliber of rainbow falls probably, let me know if your interested or have any suggestions about what trail. Sorry about the late notice I meant to put this up last week but got sidetracked.
I would join if I could, but we'll be working on back yard landscaping.

I think the idea of hooking up with Jester in the Rainbow Falls area makes sense. Illinois Gulch itself is pretty much an easy trail, and there is the optional 'Moab Hill' that those with lift, etc can have some fun with if you want.

...You guys have CB's? I have one but I haven't been able to try it out yet, so this would be a big help as well to see if I need to get an external antenna before Ouray.
If you haven't yet, you should definitely tune it with an SWR meter before keying the mic out on the trail.

I have a friend's SWR meter (Loup407), and if you come to my place on the 29th for the Spa Day/Pampering Day, I'll help with the tuning.

Also, we've had a lot of experience with the hand-held (everything is in the hand) models, and they can't really transmit very far when inside the vehicle....not even enough to be heard very well while in the same string of 4 or 5 rigs closely running a trail together.

I would definitely recommend getting an external antenna.

Hope you guys have fun out there. :cheers:

·
Registered
567 Posts
ACK count me in for 2-3 easy trails instead, this is from that Hidden Valley Road description:

The second section of whoopdeedoos is much bigger, though. The crack changes every year, but it is always very deep. If you slip in, you could easily end up sideways in the crack, laying on the side of your vehicle. It is soft dirt, though, so you could recover your vehicle and end up without damage. It would be a good idea to travel this section with another vehicle who can pull you out if you get stuck, though.
Check out when that was last updated at the bottom: "August 5th, 2007".

I believe it was in 2009 they took a dozer and made the whoopdeedoo section into a dirt road, last I heard the whole "trail" was doable in a passenger car.

We did it back in 08 and it looked like this:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so what do you guys think then or do you have any other suggestions? Also do you guys want a meeting place to follow to the trail like we did for rainbow falls or do you want to meet at the trailhead?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts