Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
That would be a very difficult swap. I actually entertained the idea. I had a Tundra that got totaled. I measured the width of the 5.7 and let me tell you, it's a wide one. It actually would interfere with the coilover towers. . The width of the 5.7 actually is wide as the middle of the headlights. Go to your truck and picture that one. I didn't look to far into it, but it looked like a nightmare to try and figure out.
thanks
Don

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
The TRD guy at the '08 summit was talking about the 4.7 swap they did for a SEMA FJ. They (TOYOTA) said they had to hook 7 different computers up to it to get it to work. Gone are the days of the plug and play motor.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
That would be a very difficult swap. I actually entertained the idea. I had a Tundra that got totaled. I measured the width of the 5.7 and let me tell you, it's a wide one. It actually would interfere with the coilover towers. . The width of the 5.7 actually is wide as the middle of the headlights. Go to your truck and picture that one. I didn't look to far into it, but it looked like a nightmare to try and figure out.
thanks
Don
All depends on how much money you want to spend really. Iknow a guy atempting to install one (5.7)in his Supra for drifting. Luckly, he's mechanicly savy like that and is doing all the work himself. Other wise, it would be way to much trouble.

·
Registered
790 Posts
All depends on how much money you want to spend really. Iknow a guy atempting to install one (5.7)in his Supra for drifting. Luckly, he's mechanicly savy like that and is doing all the work himself. Other wise, it would be way to much trouble.
i believe thats already done the iforce 5.7l supra, but it was a drag car with a supra body over it...if you can picture that..so not street legal of course.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
i believe thats already done the iforce 5.7l supra, but it was a drag car with a supra body over it...if you can picture that..so not street legal of course.

Ya, i believe i remeber seeing that a while back. Tube chassis car if i remeber correctly. He's keeping the stock chassis, sem welding, cage, etc. I'll have to give him a buzz and check in with him on how its going.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
4.7 liter would make more sense.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
just give me the TRD supercharger.
cheaper and less hassle compare to a V8 swap.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Keep the V8, I'll take a supercharger or better yet a TDI model

·
Registered
93 Posts
From someone who has the supercharger, I'd take the V8, preferably a 6.0. I'd be all for a proper diesel though, not what Toyota has been putting in.
Do you not think the supercharger was a worthwhile investment? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
I think it depends on what you are looking for. For the cost of the supercharger you can get a decent LQ or LS engine and for a bit more put out around the same power or more at the crank. I like the consistent throttle response that give you which is what I don't like about boost. Its twitchy on throttle response, you miss the right throttle position and its a dud, you press too far and you are flying.....just more difficult to feather the throttle and not as easy to control from my experience.

Not a big deal for most folks, but it can scare the crap out of you and potentially leave you on your lid in the prerunning we do. I think it is more than suitable for most folks though and it will put a smile on your face regardless :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts