Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to our local Harbor Freight store for the first time ever and saw a pretty red steel 5 gallon/20 liter gas can for $39.99. I could not resist and bought 2 of them. It is made by Midwest Can Company. Model number 5800. Manufacture date: 06/2010. Spill Proof System. Automatically Shuts Off. CARB EO #G-08-045. EPA #9MDC2METALM1.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I cannot find where is says it was made (even though it says Midwest Can Company). I still have the reciept and have not put any gas into them yet. I want to store them on my OEM roof rack. Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I tried to look on their website and couldn't find it. I did do a google search though, and the reviews weren't that great. You may want to read what their complaints were and see if it is something you can work with or not.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
At that price point you might as well spring for some non-CARB NATO style jerry cans which will be leak proof and could very well outlast your truck:

Deutsche Optik
Good luck with those. Really hard to get NATO style cans anymore-anywhere. Unless you know someone personally, the vendors can't even sell those. You should call and confirm if they will actually sell and ship.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I went to our local Harbor Freight store for the first time ever and saw a pretty red steel 5 gallon/20 liter gas can for $39.99. I could not resist and bought 2 of them. It is made by Midwest Can Company. Model number 5800. Manufacture date: 06/2010. Spill Proof System. Automatically Shuts Off. CARB EO #G-08-045. EPA #9MDC2METALM1.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I cannot find where is says it was made (even though it says Midwest Can Company). I still have the reciept and have not put any gas into them yet. I want to store them on my OEM roof rack. Thanks.
Here you go. Apparently made in the USA.
http://www.midwestcan.com/static.asp?path=2840,3462

I have seen them too. Might be worth it, if you could get some non-CARB
nozzles for them. CARB nozzles suck. I've never found one that works well,
so I just use a long funnel instead. Much quicker and less spillage.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
260 Posts
I picked up two a few weeks ago. Like you I just couldn't resist. So far no leaks and no problems. Please let me know if you guys have any other experiences with em.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think I might just visit Canada and ship back some Scepter cans. If only I knew all this CARB B/S 3 weeks ago...I was in Seattle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had one and it leaked at the bottom seam, took it back and bought 2 scepter plastic jerry cans off e bay new from Alaska, costly but have had nomore leaks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Good luck with those. Really hard to get NATO style cans anymore-anywhere. Unless you know someone personally, the vendors can't even sell those. You should call and confirm if they will actually sell and ship.
from the description at the bottom...
Please note that these cans say "Not For Fuel Use" to comply with California regulations.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
from the description at the bottom...
Please note that these cans say "Not For Fuel Use" to comply with California regulations.
The Non-CARB cans from Deutsche Optik are nice...Made by Wavian. I ordered four of 'em BEFORE they had that silly phrase on it. Lucky me.

·
Registered
458 Posts
i can get those actually .... price would be cheaper that 49 but i am sure need buy more that 5 .... they still use in Russia ... friend of mine lived there he can ship them out .... there is 2 color green and silver ... both color design for fuel use

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was at our local Blain's Farm & Fleet today, and they had a similar to the one I bought at Harbor Freight, but had a Briggs & Straton label. The hossle was designed quite a bit different than the Midwest Can Co. Price was $34.95. Still haven't used the Midwest Can Co. yet.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
At that price point you might as well spring for some non-CARB NATO style jerry cans which will be leak proof and could very well outlast your truck:

Deutsche Optik
Yes. Buy 4 and get them for about $50 each including shipping.

. . . and, yes, I did buy four of the new ones. They are sweet though I also have two Scepters which I still find better suited to being on their side.

The new Deutsche Optik are just marked for water to make them legal. They are coated inside for use with gasoline. They also have restored NATO cans as well and they look nice.

DO NOT buy those crappy new CARB cans if you intend to carry them on your vehicle in any way other than right side up . . . or if you will carry them inside. They all leak. :cheers:

·
Registered
260 Posts
After using the cans for a month I noticed that I had to tighten the cap tightly to keep it sealed well and today I noticed that the gasket is very thin and easy to break. Ie after installing and removing the cap twice it's broken and will need to be replaced or it will leak gas.

Any one know where to get replacement gaskets or what to use as a substitute?

Once that problem is solved I'd say it's a great can.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
After using the cans for a month I noticed that I had to tighten the cap tightly to keep it sealed well and today I noticed that the gasket is very thin and easy to break. Ie after installing and removing the cap twice it's broken and will need to be replaced or it will leak gas.

Any one know where to get replacement gaskets or what to use as a substitute?

Once that problem is solved I'd say it's a great can.
If it is the NATO style this gasket should work
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

If it is the round US style possible this gasket
2-NEW MILITARY GAS CAN GASKETS (JERRY CAN)-MADE IN USA | eBay

Maybe?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts