Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, couple questions:
I have a three inch lift already and my goal is a new set of rims with 33" tires. Most the wheels I am seeing are 5 lug patterns. I've seen a lot of older posts that say I shouldn't get 6 lug to 5 lug spacers. Is this still true? If not, what size (width) spacers should I get if my end goal is to get 33" tires on a set of 17" American racing wheels? What are some good spacer brands? I do want the tires to stick out a bit more than they do now with 31" tires on factory 17" rims.

Second: I'm getting confused about the tire sizes. What is the actual tire size I should be looking for A 33" inch tire on 17" rims? I don't want the tires to bubble out. I think the width of most of the rims I'm seeing is 8". Thanks!

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
If most of the wheels you are seeing are 5 lug, you are looking at the wrong wheels.

Kludging something together to allow mounting 5-lug wheels on a 6-lug hub is just wrong on so many levels that it's hardly worth discussing.

There's a "show us your wheels" thread here that will show you scores of wheels that are compatible with the 6-lug, hub-centric FJ wheel & hub design.

There's probably a good reason that heavier-duty trucks and SUVs have 6 or 8 lug wheels vs 4 or 5 lugs ...

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
^^Exactly what he said^^, you need a six lug wheel. My rims are American Racing( AR901 ), zero offset, with 33" tires ( 2" levelling kit was already installed when I bought my FJ, which will eventually be replaced with a proper lift ). My tires stick out about an inch past the factory flares. At full lock and full flex, there's a very small amount of rubbing..just enough to leave a clean spot on the fender liner covering the body mount..so no BMC with my setup.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,928 Posts
There are probably MORE 6 lug (x5.5" spacing) wheels out there than 5 Lug. I agree, you just need to search better. Get a nice 17x8 with a 4.5" backspacing and then whatever 285/70/17 tires you are after. Enjoy

Reactions: SilvFx

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
As above, use the backspacing/offset of the wheels to set the tires further out, not spacers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts