Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

5 year owner of Honda Ridgeline, now owns an 08 FJ

13K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  rvancil 
#1 ·
I can't say anything bad about my Ridgeline, it was wonderful to drive, had a great ride, and hauled everything I could imagine. I no longer needed it for work as a different vehicle is now being used, so I finally decided to get the vehicle that I always wanted. To be honest it had come down to an FJ and the Honda 5 years ago, the Honda could haul more stuff so I went with it, but now it is gone and I am not looking back.
Please post the most helpful threads that you guys think I should read up on here. I spent a lot of time on the Ridgeline Owners Club site, and am glad that I can now call this place home.
Cheers!

#2 ·
Welcome to the Forum if you have any questions just use the search feature

#3 ·
Welcome to a great site! I am a newbie as well, both to the FJ and this site. Tons of useful info in here.

Since your from Maine. you may want to check out fjnortheasters.org as well.

#5 ·
Welcome to your new home!

:cheers:

#7 ·
welcome aboard. how was the mpg in your ridgeline?

#11 · (Edited)
Welcome to ya from New Brunswick. A bunch of us Northeasters are heading to Rausch Creek for easter weekend. Looking like we will have atleast 80 FJs in attendance....Great bunch of folks from all over the Northeast.

I have to say I wish I had pics of the guy that showed up at Rausch with the Ridgeline. He was gung ho and gave it a try but the Rausch trails kinda ate him....lol. I wonder if he got an FJ yet.

BTW the link below will take you to a smaller (regional) forum. Most are members here also but it might give you a hand with questions and mods that folks in your neck of the woods have done and are doing.

#12 ·
Is a Ridgeline even off-road worthy?

#13 ·
Welcome aboard!

#16 · (Edited)

Here is the rig..
I can't bash the ridgeline at all. It was an excellent vehicle and there certainly is a difference.
The Ridge was built for comfort, unquestioningly. It had superior traction control for idiot driving, stomp on the gas and go. Let the computer do all of the thinking and it will slosh through the snow. (this is Maine!) Never once got stuck, had any form of mechanical trouble, and loved the comfort of the vehicle. (heated leather seats.mmmmm.) 16-18mpg. and the kids all fit in it. I just didn't need the trucky part of it anymore. It was an excellent vehicle to run about town and do small projects with. I had a custom roof rack for ladders and a neat bed cover that made it super for my line of work... but as the years passed my needs changed. And I really wanted an FJ, even back when I bought the ridge. But it just didn't make sense. Well, now it does.. and boy am I having FUN! I like that this is much more "trucky" with a stiffer ride, more uncomfortable seats, having to shift it into 4 wheel drive and pay attention while I am driving, etc... I am glad I jumped, but was happy to have the truck too.
Stereo definitely needs to go though.
Thank you Honda...

Seems I have a thing for black vehicles and lots of lights..

#17 ·
Welcome

#18 · (Edited)
Oh I hear ya ..... I wasn't bad mouthing the Ridgeline at all. I could see a time when I would have one even. We bough a CRV a year ago and there are days in slush and crud on the roads (It is New Brunswick) when i would rather have the CRV under me than the FJ. So I certainly know where you are coming from.

Becareful though because Mod Fever is going to come for you if you continue to hang around here .... It sneaks up on you and as of yet we have not had any interventions, but that too will come I am sure.

Congrats on the buy. Looks good with the roof lights and brush guard. Hope to see you crop up on the Northeasters site. Alot of great folks over there that have become good friends along the way.

Brian

PS: Hey have you ever been up Mount Waldo? One of our Northeaster members has been up there with his FJ. It is up near Bucksport.

I think it's a decent trail up the hill by the sounds of it....And an awesome view from the top

#21 · (Edited)
Welcome! I had a Ridgeline back when they first came out for a couple years...I loved it! One thing I can say, the Ridgeline blows the FJ away in the snow, be sure to have a dedicated set of snow tires/rims for it during the winter months. Even just with the stock tires on my ridgeline it was an absolute BEAST in the snow/slush/rain...Although off road it was pretty useless. Mine was solely used on road in S. Cali and for trips up to Mammoth and Tahoe for skiing, it plowed through over 3' of standing snow on the road no problem. My brother lives in upper state Maine and has a FJ too, after 2 accidents and multiple close calls he bought a dedicated set of snow tires, its all good now. I would yank those A/T's off of there asap and replace with a nice set of M/T's for the summer, then get a set of cheap steelies with snows...you only have what? Like 5 months left until it starts snowing again?? Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.