Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It began 8 years ago for me.

For a typical car nut living in Denver, March or April brings the new car show each year to town. Having gone to these every year prior I was anxious to see what was new in the 2003 show. Across a crowded showroom floor I spotted a Voodoo Blue eyed beauty that stopped my heart. Winches in the front and back bumper, no way! Full suspension seating, awesome. A portable GPS that you can remove from the dash, that’s crazy. Lights in the outside mirrors, get out of here! I walked away from the show making a Field of Dreams declaration…..If they built this, I will buy.

Almost two long years of nothingness. The buzz around the 2003 show praised the concept vehicle but the word started to die out and fade. Rumors would circulate in AutoWeek and Car and Driver but nothing substantial, just teasing. Needing a new vehicle after my truck was stolen I purchased a Nissan Titan (what a mistake that was, but that’s another story). I believe sometime in the Fall of 2004 Toyota announced that they were going to build the FJ Cruiser. The Titan’s days were numbered.

I remember rearranging my schedule so that I could watch the live streaming event from Chicago of Toyota showing the new FJ Cruiser in February 2005 (Anyone else………..a show of hands?). We had to wait another year before dreams were realized but speculation flew and questions were raised on this very forum. Can you sleep in it? Will it be hard to drive with the large blind spots? Will the rear windows roll down?

In February 2006 sightings were posted. Vehicles seen at ports. Orders being placed, excitement growing. Word in Denver was sent out (again on this forum) in early March that a truckload was delivered to the Toyota regional office in the Tech Center. I drove down there one early snowy Sunday morning to press my nose against the glass and take pictures. The Black Cherry looked great but I was happy with my Voodoo Blue choice.

Well my dream became true on March 30, 2006. Not the first one in Denver but close to the top. I remember my first week driving it around the looks of praise but also many looks of “How Ugly”. The naysayers did not sway my love affair I had entered with my new vehicle and I‘ve never looked back. 97,000 miles later with my original windshield still in place I still love my vehicle.

When did you fall in love?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Awww... This was like a chick flick... but for me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It was Love at first sight.(March 27, 2006) it was at the local Toyota dealer.
I saw it from the freeway took the exit and look at it. The next day I took my other Love(my Wife) to see it and we drove it home that day. (3-28-06).
I still love it!!! (and my Wife!!!!!!)

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Spring of '06, April or May. At the time I was really wanting an Acura TL, but I was flipping through an auto-trader and there was a black cherry gracing one of the pages...My first thought was "what is it?", then I thought that Toyota had just done a major overhaul on the Landcruiser. I had to know more about it, luckily I have friends that work at the Toyota dealership, I went down toward the end of May and had the keys in my hand July 7th.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Thanks to MS Outlook calendar to refer to dates....

After only seeing very brief info in print on the FJ, mostly as a concept, about 10:00 a.m., 3-31-2006, I was driving W/B on I-75 along the Everglades Parkway in Florida on vacation, and saw my first--a VD Blue going E/B. I loved it.

It was a shame I was driving, because I darn near broke my neck turning it so fast to try and get a good look at it. My lovely smart wife got a good look at it, and said it looked ugly.

A couple years pass, and all along we had been considering buying a new cars, one for her and one for me. Each time we would see a FJ, she maintained her belief. I purposely kept quiet for a few months about the FJ, and didn't point them out anymore on the road.

Then, about 2:00 p.m. on June 16, 2008, again on vacation and killing some time, we walked into the Toyota dealer in Fairbanks, Alaska. My wife was checking out the Highlanders for her, and I saw something else on the sales floor, and I just ignored it on purpose.

Later, my lovely and smart wife walked up to the tricked out Brick FJ on the sales floor--it was sweet! She checked inside all the doors, jumped in it for a minute or two, and then called me over. She asked what model it was, because she thought it seemed perfect for me in Yosemite. Always wondered who ended up with that Brick. I wanted to buy it on the spot and drive it back to California!

In December 2008, we got our new cars.

In my line of work, there is a saying that "Patience is an investigator's best asset."

Yup.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I fell in Love with FJ's the first time I saw one...Couldnt tell you when that was, but around when they first come out. I wanted and wanted and wanted but my wishes never came true.

I was working at a small used car dealership last Oct and driving an 07 Chevy Avalanche. Well...my wish came true. Some A-Hole rear ended my avalanche doing 90 MPH. My truck was still drivable and I was trying to figure out what to do with my truck...well here comes the owner of the dealership driving his new demo...a 2007 Black Diamond FJ with a 6" lift and 35" tires!!!!!! I told him to "bag it up, Ill take it!!!" Best vehicle ever!!! everything I ever imagined and more.:king:

The end.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I had been watching for several months. Then one day at lunch a yellow one drove in from the dealer. I went over after work and drove it. It came home with me. That was April 10th I think.

Ya, getting stopped in parking lots, people asking if it was an H4. Two weeks later I drove it to Denver via back roads. The looks I got. One teenage punk told me it was ugly as he drove past outside of the Rock Bottom. I replied that so was his momma and I hit that last night. OOps!:fight:

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think reading that might have made me gay?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts