Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how I modified the factory wiring circuit to keep my low beams on when I turn on my high beams. The light output is much better than factory and all you need is a fifty cent diode.
You'll need to gain acces to the bottom side of the relay box that contains the DRL (daytime running light) relay. On my 2007 it's located under the hood on the drivers side. It is the small (2-relay) box. Unclip it from the larger fuse box so you can turn it upside down to see the wires underneath. You will need to strip off a small section from the red w/black stripe wire and the blue w/red stripe wire.
Connect the striped end of the diode to the red w/black stripe wire and connect the opposite end of the diode to the blue w/red stripe wire.
Solder connections if you wish and insulate w/electrical tape.
reassemble and you're DONE!

A lot cheaper than commercially available plug and play "magic boxes" and IMO safer too since I've seen instructions to insert the magic box on the driver's side headlight harness which has a VERY small gauge wire compared to the passenger side headlight harness. My mod switches the current supply at the SOURCE. Not on only one end of the headlight circuit.

:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
789 Posts
The only downside is that you may overload your high beam circuit which will blow the fuse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is how I modified the factory wiring circuit to keep my low beams on when I turn on my high beams. The light output is much better than factory and all you need is a fifty cent diode.
You'll need to gain acces to the bottom side of the relay box that contains the DRL (daytime running light) relay. On my 2007 it's located under the hood on the drivers side. It is the small (2-relay) box. Unclip it from the larger fuse box so you can turn it upside down to see the wires underneath. You will need to strip off a small section from the red w/black stripe wire and the blue w/red stripe wire.
Connect the striped end of the diode to the red w/black stripe wire and connect the opposite end of the diode to the blue w/red stripe wire.
Solder connections if you wish and insulate w/electrical tape.
reassemble and you're DONE!

A lot cheaper than commercially available plug and play "magic boxes" and IMO safer too since I've seen instructions to insert the magic box on the driver's side headlight harness which has a VERY small gauge wire compared to the passenger side headlight harness. My mod switches the current supply at the SOURCE. Not on only one end of the headlight circuit.

:cheers:
Great post :)
Was going to do this on the weekend, hows it worked out so far.
I know its been a long time so wondering if still all good.
Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts