Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Discussion starter · #26 ·
When sharply turned it’s definitely hitting the edge of the skid plate on both sides. I watched it when my friend turned the wheel all the way and the paint on it rubbed off. The wheels seem too far in and close also. Weird.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
I spoke to Bilstein again and they said they may have set the spring seat upside down. Said it is a common problem. I will check that out and go back to the shop tomorrow and talk to them to see what they did... it almost looks like they had set it to the 3rd ring up when I was just looking at it again, weather has been horrible so it has been tough to see outside... in and out of thunderstorms.

Looking at your photos, I did notice that your spring perch is set to the 3rd notch. It may just be the camera angle but your upper control arms are at extreme angles indicating to me that the front is lifted way beyond the limits of OEM parts. I can't imagine how anyone could mistakenly mount the spring perch's upside down but I guess it's possible and if this is the case it would explain why you're sitting so high and the geometry if off. In your photos however, the spring perches appear to be install correctly.

Attached is a photo of a properly positioned spring perch on a 5100.
Auto part Suspension Suspension part Automotive fuel system Pipe

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I noticed that also when looking at the pictures. They just screwed up. Put it on the wrong level for sure. I’m going to check out the spring perch tomorrow. Actually I’ve had a place put them upside down before. Also the Bilstein guy said it happens all the time🤦‍♂️

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Looking at your photos, I did notice that your spring perch is set to the 3rd notch. It may just be the camera angle but your upper control arms are at extreme angles indicating to me that the front is lifted way beyond the limits of OEM parts. I can't imagine how anyone could mistakenly mount the spring perch's upside down but I guess it's possible and if this is the case it would explain why you're sitting so high and the geometry if off. In your photos however, the spring perches appear to be install correctly.

Attached is a photo of a properly positioned spring perch on a 5100. View attachment 1130591
No, it’s overlifted for sure. This isn’t what I had asked for or planned🤦‍♂️

Discussion starter · #31 ·
No, it’s overlifted for sure. This isn’t what I had asked for or planned🤦‍♂️
So yup. They put it on the 3rd setting. Do I have them set it to the second setting with the one 885s or have them put it on the lowest first setting and put the 1.5” spacers back on like the 4600s and oem coils had on? I’d love an opinion. Thanks!

I would not recommend using spacers. Do some research to determine how much lift the 885's provide then calculate where to place the perch on the 5100's. You may have to experiment but I would start on the first notch. Attached is a Bilstein's ride height adjustment guide, based on stock OEM springs.

Text Diagram Parallel

Set them at a lower notch and do not use a spacer on top of the 5100s. As is the CVs are at an extreme angle.

Also your spring perch looks like it is installed correctly.

Reactions: FJCRUZA
Eibach is basically the same shock as Bilstein. Here is the recommendation from Eibach for ride height when using their 2" springs. I'm not sure what coil rate the 885's are so they may be different from Eibach in terms of spring sag but Eibach recommends no higher than the 2nd notch unless your bumper and armor is heavy enough to weigh the front down. It appears your bumper isn't heavy enough to sag your 885 springs so try moving the clip down 1 notch. You may have alignment issues if using the stock upper control arms above the 2nd notch.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.