Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5k that i have because i was going to buy a second car for better gas mileage but, im having second thoughts because im going to be quitting smoking so that will save me the extra cost of gas.

So if i mod what should i do, couple things before i get suggestions suspension is fine unless getting all pro links and stuff. Body mount is possible with bigger tires, need armor would love some more lights, don't want new bumbers, any help would be great.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just on a side note the money won't be really missed either way.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I'd quit smoking first before I went off the deep end. Not an easy habit to let go.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I say mod the FJ.......
I am just finishing up going to hang the Allpro bumper tomorrow as soon as UPS delivers the winch. Warn m8000 dumping the rollers and steel cable in favor of hause and amstell blue 5/16 x 100'.

Installed AP Fox suspension myself(remove the swaybay it makes all the difference on the install) anyone remotely mechanical can do it.

5- 285/70/17 BFG mud km2 on eagle 137 wheels. black with polished faux beadlock. You'll have to chop with those.

This project has made an old man(near 50) feel like a kid again. I say damn the oil companies. they are not going to price me out of my fun. Hopefully the liberals wont legislate it away either.

Cost of mods so far 5000+
Making the FJ your own....priceless

Our spirits we're high
'till the well ran dry
for so long the raven at my window was only a crow.
John Prine

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya if i can stop smoking is the key if i do quit then i wont need to buy a second car, i mean i really dont need one now but i would like to add stuff to the fj any ideas for 5k

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
The more mods the less gas mileage. I've been saying i want to quit smoking for the last 5 years now. Get the 2nd car or do both if you can

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i havent had a smoke in almost 2 days so i have to stop talking about it because im getting urges.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
good luck im sure you will choose the best for you.

·
Registered
547 Posts
why not go with a BA light set up? lightbar w airdam, 4 or 6 KCs, backup lights. or drop a 4runner v8 in there thatd be fun too. the one thing you have to think about w the second car thing (I was in the same boat and turned down a Honda S2000 as a summer gas saver) is that you have to pay gas, insurance, repairs...all that crap, on two cars instead of one. I would say quit smokin no matter what, mod the FJ a lil (save some of the 5k) and sit on the coin, maybe something will come out in the next couple months that youll just have to have for the FJ and then youll already have the dough.

or you could buy me some stuff for my FJ... Ill be your bestest friend...:cheers:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya no to that sorry. No im probably going to spend 2k on some stuff and save the rest and buy some stuff for my house.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I would absolutely buy a gas efficient car. Not for the sole purpose of saving myself $, but on principle of NOT shoving my beautiful money in the pockets of greedy oil companies. My FJ has been chilling in my garage, lately and I've been driving my other 18-20mpg ride.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so whats the verdict buy a second car?

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
Every now and then, I think about doing to very same thing . . . . buying a fuel-efficient second daily driver for around $5k or so.

However, when I start crunching the numbers, the $5k for the car (plus the annual insurance costs, upkeep, maintenance, repair and even the gas itself for a 10 year-old "economy" car) still far exceeds the difference in the current not-so-great gas mileage I get with my FJ.

Just my 2 cents . . . .

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
you could always do some mods, and then buy a 1000 dui scooter.:lol:

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
I'm with LCSteve on this. I am fortunate enough to own an 05' Taco 4Cyl that I use for work and the FJ sits home most of the time. I probably spend another $1K, plus gas, plus $1400 for insurance on the Taco per year. So when you do the numbers thing it takes a long time to make it worth the investment. It's like buying a fuel efficient car thats going to get you 10 miles more per gallon, how long will it take until you really feel any relief from the price of gas? What are you going to save $20 a week maybe on fuel. Take care of the FJ and do some reasonable functional mods to it. Rear LCA's, some armor, nice front bumper. As soon as you start adding light bars and bigger tires you will feel the effect. Good luck. Pick up a bike they're fun and cheap.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ya i agree too bad i dont know how to ride a damn bike. :mecry::mecry::mecry:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i was thinking about doing bud builts but i already have the all pro ifs and tranny so i suppose ill just do the t-case from all pro, and im going to be ordering the total chaos lower control arm skids all pros shock mount skids and what else need some ideas one what else needs protection.

·
Registered
449 Posts
bumpers
winch
take the wife on a vacation

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have 5k that i have because i was going to buy a second car for better gas mileage but, im having second thoughts because im going to be quitting smoking so that will save me the extra cost of gas.

So if i mod what should i do, couple things before i get suggestions suspension is fine unless getting all pro links and stuff. Body mount is possible with bigger tires, need armor would love some more lights, don't want new bumbers, any help would be great.
Get you a bicycle and save the rest for mod. :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts