Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This convoy is meant to showcase some of the best scenery Colorado has to offer on the way to Ouray from the east. If you're driving to the Summit from all points east of Colorado, We highly encourage you to consider running with us vs. going out I-70. I-70 is beautiful and a little faster, but that route pales in comparison to this route through the mountains.

Here are the details so far:

Group 1 will meet in Colorado Springs
July 20th
8:15AM
Safeway
3275 West Colorado Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80904
Leave by 8:30 Taking US-24 towards Buena Vista

Group 2 will meet just outside of Morrison near Denver
July 20th
7:45 AM
Circle K
16283 Morrison Road
Morrison, CO 80465
Leave by 8:00 taking US-285 towards Buena Vista.

CB 7
HAM 146.520

The 2 groups will meet outside Buena Vista at about 10:30am. We'll then head south on 285, then west on US-50 over Monarch Pass. Our next stop is for lunch in Gunnison, just before we hit Blue Mesa Reservoir (the largest lake in Colorado). At Blue Mesa we will take a group Photo:

From there we head to Montrose, then down 550 to Ouray.

Let's make this the largest convoy to roll in to Summit HQ!

Meeting in the Springs:
mountain mike
akosfj
ARMY_CRUISER
Tommy Rambler
TTGuy

Meeting in Morrison:
FJinCO (+1)
RubrSideDwn
DoubleE
Jesster
Jimmy-buffett
Gnmo
Ranger92
Optimus Prime
Offroad94
foto2
wegotg
Olygold

Meeting along route:
borpa11
SRTFJBUS
1FJventure

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Dang. I'm planning the same route, but will be heading up Tuesday and may need to stop and drown a few flies along the way.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll update the OP as people say that are in or back out. I wouldn't want to leave anyone behind.

Send me a PM if you would like my cell number.

·
Registered
96 Posts
What is the driving time like from Denver to Ouray on I-70 vs. 285?

I'm not sure which way I'll take, but if it's way more scenic and roughly the same driving time I'll do 285.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to google maps from the meeting point in Morrison:
I-70 route: 324mi 5hr 39min
285 to 50: 284mi 5hr 50min

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
What is the driving time like from Denver to Ouray on I-70 vs. 285?

I'm not sure which way I'll take, but if it's way more scenic and roughly the same driving time I'll do 285.
There was a discussion about the two different routes in this thread...
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/colorado/127501-south-then-west-west-then-south-driving-summit.html

my comments recycled from that thread...

"We've gone both ways many times each, and I think they are both interesting, fascinating, scenic and fun. They just both have so many different things to see and do along the way, and it all depends on what you're into....and/or what you've done before. If you've never traveled, for any other event, along either route, then either one will be good.

We've gone to Gunnison many times over the past 9 months, and every time, we took the 285-50 route. We just love being in South Park....mountains in every direction. :rocker:

When we go to Ouray this summer though (two separate trips in July), we'll be going the I-70-GJ-550 route because we want to do the Hanging Lake hike (link) in Glenwood Canyon."

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
According to google maps from the meeting point in Morrison:
I-70 route: 324mi 5hr 39min
285 to 50: 284mi 5hr 50min
285 to 50 to 149 (Lake City) to Silverton (via Cinnimon Pass): 304 6hr 30min

Depending on length of break taken in Gunnison for the convoy, probably meet up in Ouray at the same time. The run between Handies, Sunshine and Red Could (14'ners) is spectacular.

The other benefit is running 550 from Silverton to Ouray.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
285 to 50 to 149 (Lake City) to Silverton (via Cinnimon Pass): 304 6hr 30min

Depending on length of break taken in Gunnison for the convoy, probably meet up in Ouray at the same time. The run between Handies, Sunshine and Red Could (14'ners) is spectacular.

The other benefit is running 550 from Silverton to Ouray.
Yep....and then about 45 minutes from Silverton to Ouray.
It will still be light out for about an hour and a quarter after you arrive. So, plenty of time to set up camp before dark if you're camping. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Man, im so torn. go a day early for more playing, or convoy up again. maybe both?

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Man, im so torn. go a day early for more playing, or convoy up again. maybe both?
I totally know what you mean....when we go on the Saturday before, I always contemplate going back early Wednesday morning to meet up with the convoy just because it seems like it would be fun :p

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
The Lake City run would cover 2/3 of the Convoy route until just past Gunnison. Take the picture at Blue Mesa, then return for Hwy 149 to Lake City. If you're not pulling a trailor it's an option. I understand there will be a few trailers on the convoy.

·
Registered
962 Posts
What time Wednesday can we show up?

I was thinking I might just leave the house early Wednesday, take I70 West, then South to get there since this will be my 1st event and I want to get there and get a feel fro how things run.

Hoping next year to just get a hotel room so we can leave Monday and winding up in Ouray sometime Wednesday, without touching pavement.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That is already a great picture!! I'm looking forward to the rest of the pictures

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
What time Wednesday can we show up?

I was thinking I might just leave the house early Wednesday, take I70 West, then South to get there since this will be my 1st event and I want to get there and get a feel fro how things run.

Hoping next year to just get a hotel room so we can leave Monday and winding up in Ouray sometime Wednesday, without touching pavement.
You can show up in Ouray any time you want. I don't know what time/s they'll have registration open this year, but in the past, I recall going to the headquarters (the BestWestern) to register in the evening.

There will be people around HQ pretty much all day, either way.

Keep an eye out for the official schedule in the following weeks. I don't have any inside info on when that will be released, but when it comes out, you'll have a better idea of all of that.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 122 Posts