Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Perfect. Took a look at Lake City to Ouray. 30 miles and 2 hours the hard way. Looking forward to the convoy.
G

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Perfect. Took a look at Lake City to Ouray. 30 miles and 2 hours the hard way. Looking forward to the convoy.
G
So, you'll break off the convoy at Blue Mesa Res., and head South to Lake City then.

I don't know what we'll be doing on that day yet, but if at all possible, I think it would be cool if I could work it out to go over Engineer Pass, meet up with you in Lake City and roll back over Cinnamon (or vice-versa) and back to Ouray together.

In fact, if we decide to go up and summit Uncompahgre Peak (link), we might be able to make it just part of the trip for the day. I will run the idea by JammerGirl as we get closer and see how that looks.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
So, you'll break off the convoy at Blue Mesa Res., and head South to Lake City then.

I don't know what we'll be doing on that day yet, but if at all possible, I think it would be cool if I could work it out to go over Engineer Pass, meet up with you in Lake City and roll back over Cinnamon (or vice-versa) and back to Ouray together.

In fact, if we decide to go up and summit Uncompahgre Peak (link), we might be able to make it just part of the trip for the day. I will run the idea by JammerGirl as we get closer and see how that looks.
I'm still looking at it. One mapping program has the route from Lake City over Cinnimon pass to Silverton. Engineer pass is another option as the roads to connect. Looking at the guide book Mineral Creek Trail to Engineer Pass may be a bit much for a fully loaded vehicle. If we do this route I think it'll be either Engineer or Cinnimon Pass then on to Silverton and Ouray.

Google Maps has the route from Lake City to Ouray via Engineer Pass and Mineral Creek trail. No mention of difficulty just 1hr 47min to travel. I just don't know Mineral Creek Trail. Much will depend transit time to Gunnison.

If we meet in Lake City you would know if Mineral Creek is passable or complete the run to Silverton. While it's still early it does look interesting for that side trip.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I'm still looking at it. One mapping program has the route from Lake City over Cinnimon pass to Silverton. Engineer pass is another option as the roads to connect. Looking at the guide book Mineral Creek Trail to Engineer Pass may be a bit much for a fully loaded vehicle. If we do this route I think it'll be either Engineer or Cinnimon Pass then on to Silverton and Ouray.

Google Maps has the route from Lake City to Ouray via Engineer Pass and Mineral Creek trail. No mention of difficulty just 1hr 47min to travel. I just don't know Mineral Creek Trail. Much will depend transit time to Gunnison.

If we meet in Lake City you would know if Mineral Creek is passable or complete the run to Silverton. While it's still early it does look interesting for that side trip.
The Mineral Creek way is much shorter distance to get to Ouray, and is totally passable (we do it a few times each year when we're there in July), but the route down to Silverton and up to Ouray on 550 is often faster.....it all depends on how you like to offroad......if you can baja the thing, you'll definitely get to Ouray quicker going Mineral Creek, but it's more fun coming up it than down.....and safer on tires too (though I've seen at least one fail on the way up).

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
The Mineral Creek way is much shorter distance to get to Ouray, and is totally passable (we do it a few times each year when we're there in July), but the route down to Silverton and up to Ouray on 550 is often faster.....it all depends on how you like to offroad......if you can baja the thing, you'll definitely get to Ouray quicker going Mineral Creek, but it's more fun coming up it than down.....and safer on tires too (though I've seen at least one fail on the way up).
Well, without skids, armor and trunk full of adult beverages, perhaps going through Silverton is not such a bad idea. Haven't been that way in a quite a few years. So maybe a flip of the coin for Engineer or Cinnomon Passes. Could have a bit of rain the afternoon there too.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Well, without skids, armor and trunk full of adult beverages, perhaps going through Silverton is not such a bad idea. Haven't been that way in a quite a few years. So maybe a flip of the coin for Engineer or Cinnomon Passes. Could have a bit of rain the afternoon there too.
Indeed. Cinnamon would be easier to get over if it's raining too, because of a couple spots on the West side of Engineer Pass. I mean, it's totally doable, either way, but just for the sake of taking the easiest route, Cinnamon is your way.....oh, and if we do end up meeting you over there, we would have just come over on Engineer :lookaround:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a bump for the locals.... Haven't heard from some regulars.... Ranger92, wixo, you guys in this year?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Just a bump for the locals.... Haven't heard from some regulars.... Ranger92, wixo, you guys in this year?
Yup I'll be there.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Still thinking of heading to Lake City after the Gunnison convoy Picture. OCR14a will you be over Engineer Pass to Lake city the afternoon of the 20th?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts