Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. Just became the proud owner of a 2010 FJ. Seller was a car lot, and didn’t have much info on the lift. Says it has a 6” lift, and I’m wanting first, to identify what brand so I know the quality, and two, if it was done right?

Handles great on the road, even running the 305/65R17 Dick Cepek Extreme Country mud tires. Rear sits a bit higher, and is stiff and bouncy. Bilstein shocks front and rear. I can see the fronts are 5100.
Here’s some pics. Hoping you guys might have some input on the lift ID and quality.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have any pics from the front lower section to see the cross member? I believe most 6 " lifts have the stock front cross member removed and replaced with a kit.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Without a photo of the cross member it can't be confirmed that you have a 6 inch lift but there are other signs that make me believe you do not. 1. Your FJ still has the stock upper control arms. 2. The front fender flares have been removed to provide tire clearance. 3. Your front axles appear to be at extreme angles. 4. You have an OEM non adjustable panhard bar.

The spring perch on the front 5100's are on the bottom setting which makes me believe you simply have Bilsteins with taller springs.

Having said all this, I could be wrong but if you do in-fact have a 6 inch lift installed, it is Not a quality kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Without a photo of the cross member it can't be confirmed that you have a 6 inch lift but there are other signs that make me believe you do not. 1. Your FJ still has the stock upper control arms. 2. The front fender flares have been removed to provide tire clearance. 3. Your front axles appear to be at extreme angles. 4. You have an OEM non adjustable panhard bar.

The spring perch on the front 5100's are on the bottom setting which makes me believe you simply have Bilsteins with taller springs.

Having said all this, I could be wrong but if you do in-fact have a 6 inch lift installed, it is Not a quality kit.
Thanks for the reply. I’m not so much concerned about it being 6”, more so it it’s going to cause issues with other components on down the road. It won’t see much extreme action or flexing. Lot of road driving and beach time in the sand. Here’s a pic of the cross member also.

·
Premium Member
12,204 Posts
Looks like stock components with a 3" lift.

The spindles look stock, 6" lift spindles are very different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like stock components with a 3" lift.

The spindles look stock, 6" lift spindles are very different.
I’m getting that idea too, which I’m fine with. Any red flags with those axle angles or running that lift with stock components?

·
Registered
89 Posts
If say the rear springs are heavier than you need.
Put about 200lb in back and see if that takes the chop out of the ride. Also make sure tire pressure is not set too hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
275 Posts
ChefRandy,

Investigate a front differential drop kit which will lessen the angle of your front axles and reduce stress on the CV joints. The kit is simply a couple spacers, longer bolts, 20 minutes of work, and very inexpensive at less than $50.00 bucks. You can find several videos on Youtube. I also recommend you have your wheel alignment checked. It's my bet that you'll discover your caster is way off due to using the stock upper control arms with 3 inches of lift.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ChefRandy,

Investigate a front differential drop kit which will lessen the angle of your front axles and reduce stress on the CV joints. The kit is simply a couple spacers, longer bolts, 20 minutes of work, and very inexpensive at less than $50.00 bucks. You can find several videos on Youtube. I also recommend you have your wheel alignment checked. It's my bet that you'll discover your caster is way off due to using the stock upper control arms with 3 inches of lift.
Awesome thanks for the tip. I was actually wondering if I needed one. I can handle that install no prob.

Ive come to conclusion that I have Bilstein 5100 on all corners, front set to the shortest notch (0 lift surprisingly), and some damn heavy coils (unknown maker). It has a Smittybilt M1 bumper on the front, which would explain why the front handles softer. Stock bumper in the back, and it rides damn harsh and rigid over bumps. I put about 250lb of weight in the back today and drove it. Felt way better. I wish I could ID these coils somehow. Looks like 7 coils on them, that’s all I have to go on.

I’m debating weather I want to change out the rear coils for Toytec Superflex, or add weight to the back via add ons.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes, you have 5100's at each corner. Taller, heavier rated springs were added up front to gain lift and support the added weight of the bumper. To compensate for the additional lift in the front, taller aftermarket springs were added in the rear to level the vehicle and apparently the rear springs have a high weight rating. Adding 250 pounds in the cargo area may achieve the desired result but that's not a proper solution.

Based on the photos you provided I can say with a high degree of certainty your rear springs are in-fact aftermarket. The stock factory springs would have 2 small paint marks on them, blue and either red or orange. Additionally I do not see a spring spacer which would be needed with stock springs to achieve the height you have in the rear. You might want to crawl under the vehicle with a flashlight to confirm my opinion. Also look for any numbering on the springs which might help you determine the brand and weight rating. Your photos show your FJ sitting with a slight bit of "Rake" which leads me to believe your rear springs are 2 inches over stock which are the most common height sold by aftermarket manufacturers.

Assuming that the front of your vehicle is 2.5 to 3 inches over stock, you need 1 to 1.5 inches of lift in the rear to level the vehicle. Years ago I spend endless hours researching for the weight rating of the rear stock FJ springs. I got conflicting results but the best I could determine is that the rating is 190 or 200 pounds. Eibach has FJ rear springs providing 1 inch of lift and rated at 220 pounds. Toytec carries a couple brands of rear springs providing 1.5 inches of lift but I don't know their weight rating.

If you are on a budget or just want to experiment, pick up a used set of stock springs and add a 1 to 1.5 inch spacer. This combo might satisfy your requirements or at least provide you with a comparison to work from.

I purchased my FJ second hand. It had 5100's up front set to max height with stock springs. The rear had stock shocks, stock springs with a 1 inch spacer to level the vehicle. The ride was very comfortable and controllable on pavement. Wanting more lift and performance I've spent 2 years, thousands of dollars and am now on my 3rd suspension system before getting it dialed in to my liking.

A lot of rambling on my part but I have nothing else to do. Hope this information is helpful.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Maybe 3.5" with cranked up Bilsteins like this had been (which has been corrected to 2.75" with new control arms and dif drop). Felt great and I knew it was destroying parts. Eventually things start to make noise, buckle, and fail. 6" requires a lot of extra parts to do it right.

Closer to reality:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts