Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would this be a smart thing to do? has anyone done it? got the fj from my dad but its a 2wd and would really like to have the beasty look and go offroading in it.

suggestions...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I would recommend going with just 33's and armor. 6" looks nice but has limitations in what kind of armor you can use. 35s is beastly, but will be terrible on the fwy because it's geared too tall now. You'll be lugging or have to downshift all the time on grades. Get a 3" lift and put some armor on it. Ideally, you'd want 4wd, but that isn't an option at this point...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Fjamming yea i have already diamond plated just about the whole thing plane on getting skids in the future just really like the big lifted look. also if i were to get a 3 inch lift about how much would it cost.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
@Fjamming yea i have already diamond plated just about the whole thing plane on getting skids in the future just really like the big lifted look. also if i were to get a 3 inch lift about how much would it cost.
Take a look at the suspension section or the member builds section for some ideas. The price varies quite a bit. I would suggest getting suspension and tires done at the same time so you don't look weird. Also, expect to lose a bit of gas efficiency with the bigger tires and taller stance. Budget yourself for some recovery gears and communications (CB, Ham, etc). Armor costs too but there's not rush to get everything done right off the bat. I would look into getting recovery gears and communications first, then armor next. Suspension stuff last actually.

Or, you could trade in for a 4wd and start fresh. :blueblob:

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
If you are dead set on a 6" lift and 35s knowing it just looks cool, and will bring a laundry list of other mods needed to accomplish it...

Most guys run the rough country 6", and it doesn't create any more ground clearance in some critical areas than a 3". You will also need $400-$1000 UCAs, a BMC, some fender well shaving, regear, swingout rear bumper to carry the huge 35" spare tire (cargo door sag and wear), etc then go for it.

Don't jump into it without a lot of homework because it will be very expensive even if you do all the labor yourself.

I say 3" and 35s. You'll still need (or wish you had) everything I listed above as well due to the 35s

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
217 Posts
also if i were to get a 3 inch lift about how much would it cost.
For a 3in. you could be anywhere between $900 (OME) and a few thousand (Icon stage 6). A great site for lifts if toyteclifts.com. They have a big selection and have good descriptions of the parts. Also, I would check out Radflo, I plan to buy a set within 6 months and I know Wikid has had great experiences with them.

,Harrison

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
If you are dead set on a 6" lift and 35s knowing it just looks cool, and will bring a laundry list of other mods needed to accomplish it...

Most guys run the rough country 6", and it doesn't create any more ground clearance in some critical areas than a 3". You will also need $400-$1000 UCAs, a BMC, some fender well shaving, regear, swingout rear bumper to carry the huge 35" spare tire (cargo door sag and wear), etc then go for it.

Don't jump into it without a lot of homework because it will be very expensive even if you do all the labor yourself.

I say 3" and 35s. You'll still need (or wish you had) everything I listed above as well due to the 35s

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
x2 re Smalldog's comments … without doubt 35s look cool, but its a slippery slope if you go this route, and not cheap to do it right …
:cheers:

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you go 6in lift I suggest go all out with regear the rear and saw away coilovers that work great with the rc kit sold by purefj

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
to be brutally honest, sell the 2wd and get the 4wd and go from there...

adding height, changing center of gravity and adding weight does not make a 2wd a better performer, more than likely you`ll get stuck in wet grass...

IMHO don`t waste a dime on the 2wd, just bc it looks cool...

now if you do go with the pre-runner appearance, know your limitations...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You can lift it with a cheap 6" lift, $1200, fit 35's and drive it on the street all day. It'll end up riding like sh!t and not handling like you would want it, but hey, it'll satisfy your need for something big and flashy. If you want to do it right, it's gonna cost ya. Oh, and a regear isn't necessary, but 35's will slow you down considerably without it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't sell the 2wd I have spent lots of money into accessories. the 2wd does great offroading, I have taken it to hidden falls in texas and didn't fail me yet.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Since it haven't failed you yet, you might as well leave it as is.

·
Banned
6,390 Posts
I wouldn't sell the 2wd I have spent lots of money into accessories. the 2wd does great offroading, I have taken it to hidden falls in texas and didn't fail me yet.
well it`s your rig and only you know best.
I can guarantee you wouldn`t be wheeling in the sugar sand here in the pines with 2 wd.

good luck and post pics of your build...:rocker::cheers:

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
I had a 6 inch lift with 35s on my first Fj. I went mud riding a lot and didn't wheel back then. I miss it. It def did not ride like crap it rode almost stock. Id say my Icons ride better than stock.

Ask me about Mardi Krawl

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If you're going for looks, right off the bat I would get some bigger tires and get rid of those side steps. The steps will get hung up on any kind of moderate off roading and/or break. Those bushwackers are designed for protecting the side of your truck from kickback from much larger tires so for them to look right you're going to need to go big with the tires.
Do you have a winch on that bumper? If not that would be the first thing to do. I don't like wheeling without a winch even with 4WD. But I carry a come-a-long and a Hi-Lift for the meantime. If I didn't have 4WD capabilities I wouldn't take it anywhere. If that's not something you want to get right now, I would at least invest in a come-a-long and proper ancillary items to go with it.
As others have said, if you want to go with the 6" lift be prepared to drop a good amount of money. When taking it that high you're going to need to do a whole lot more **** compared to a 3". And to piggy back on what others have said if you're going to spend that amount of money I would just start from scratch with a 4x4.

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
:werd: x2 what Deftone said...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts