Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Also, I would check out Radflo, I plan to buy a set within 6 months
,Harrison
Ditto. I went with their 3" lift 2.5" bodied shocks with reservoirs and couldn't be happier. I run a lot of rough oilfield roads and it rides like a Caddy!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Your FJ doesn't already have a lift on it? It looks like it is setting a WHOLE lot higher than my 2wd. Could it be the Bushwackers making it look like that? If I were you I might go with a leveling kit and throw on a much meatier tire and ride with it. You put a rougher and slightly bigger tire on that thing and it will look great I think. Also you won't lose as much MPG which is a big thing to consider if you plan on driving that thing a lot as your everyday ride.

I know all about that big tire/poor gas mileage thing. I drove a YJ with 7" lift and it just wasn't worth the looks to be getting 9 mpg. No where near worth it. I got 11 mpg on an absolute wonderful day, so that broke me from the whole big tire and big lift thing. Usually a properly built ride with a smaller lift will do a lot more than those with big lifts that are mainly used as mall crawlers.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
you have a nice looking truck there … beefier tires will fill out the wheel wells more … it sits up pretty good right now … just a thought, you may want to sell it at some point and not everyone buys into 6" lifts …
:cheers:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The 3" inch lift definitely was the way to go! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
to be brutally honest, sell the 2wd and get the 4wd and go from there...

adding height, changing center of gravity and adding weight does not make a 2wd a better performer, more than likely you`ll get stuck in wet grass...

IMHO don`t waste a dime on the 2wd, just bc it looks cool...

now if you do go with the pre-runner appearance, know your limitations...
I totally agree... Good luck though!:bandit:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Having had a 4WD CJ-7 and then a 2WD Tacoma, I bought a 2WD FJ. Definitely like the look of your rig and your willingness to try the tougher trails. I usually pay a whole lot of attention of what I'm about to go down, so I know I can get back up. The trouble comes when I try to back up with limited weight on the rear wheels. Nothing more embarrassing than sitting in a tricked out rig that can't back up a small grass slope! Like another post said, I think more like a prerunner than a rock crawler and there is no way would I sell my rig for a 4WD version!

Most importantly, thanks for getting the posting about the 20" wheels off the top of the 2WD forum! ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I know this is old but I just wanted to update how my fj looks right now... I ended up installing a 3 inch pro comp lift and 35 mickey Thompson Baja mud tiers, both I love! I can do so much more off road now.http://[URL=http://s891.photobucket.com/user/supeman100/media/get-attachment_zpsbb8a2cd3.jpg.html][/URL] who said 2wds cant offroad I did most trails 4x4 jeeps didn't attempt.
Your FJ looks really good now! Hey I got around in a 2WD Tacoma with a rear locker and was able to go mostly anywhere. Of course I never went alone or without some extra recovery gear. I learned to keep the foot into the gas with some fast forward momentum in sugar sand and mud. But if you really ever go where the real fun stuff is...you better get into a 4X4.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Your FJ looks really nice. To put some of the wheel size discussion in perspective:

There is a lot of debate in the mountain bike world about the traditional 26" wheel vs. the 27.5" vs. the 29" wheel. Each has its strengths and weaknesses, but most bikers agree that 29's roll over things easier.

I think the 35's might give you a similar advantage (within reasonable limits), and that better "rollover" capabilities might help compensate for 2WD. With the right gears and locker you should be in pretty good shape.

I think you made the right choice with 3" lift (and this is coming from someone with a 6" lift), simply because with 2wd, your off road strategy is going to be about maintaining momentum, not so much about articulation since you can't pull with your front wheels, and the FJ rear axle articulates pretty well anyway. The 6" lift is really good with 35's if you want to be able to fully stuff a tire and pull through at slow speeds. With 2WD, there is much less benefit to fully stuff/extend the front, since you are not pulling through with those wheels, so maintaing balanced traction in front is less important.

If you haven't limited your front bumpstops, you might want to look at that to keep from hitting the top of the fenderwell if you bottom hard. You could also increase clearances (if needed) with a mild body lift as well. Maintaining momentum means you will probably have to hit things a little faster, so taking a look at your clearances under compression is probably a good idea.

No matter what, it is your vehicle, and you should be happy with it, it looks great.

Good Luck,
Shawn

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice rig!! I'm new here I've had my Fj for about 3 months. It's a 2007 and I'm looking at a 3 inch lift as well and some 35's.Thanks everybody with the feedback!!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts