Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into a 6" lift (from my now 3") I have heard about CV problems at this height, has anyone found a fix for this?

thanks,

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the way it looks there is Rough country and Pro comp, Pro comp requires cutting of the cross member, rough country does not?

Pro comp has very little info, does anyone have installed pic's of their lift installed, with comments?

thanks,

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I believe that Fabtech also has a 6" kit for the FJ, but not much info on that one either.:simmadown:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I've seen a few 6" lifted FJs and to my experience they handle no better on the trail that those with a 3" lift. Increased body roll from a higher center of gravity seems to be an issue. Even with 35" tires a 1" ground clearance gain is all they will buy you over a 3" lift. I'll be sticking to my 3" lift.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
I've seen a few 6" lifted FJs and to my experience they handle no better on the trail that those with a 3" lift. Increased body roll from a higher center of gravity seems to be an issue. Even with 35" tires a 1" ground clearance gain is all they will buy you over a 3" lift. I'll be sticking to my 3" lift.
I have to disagree after wheeling with Capt. rick all weekend on my 3" Donahoe and his 6" Rough Country. If I followed Rick's lines I would hit in places he wasn't even close to. His articulation was far superior and just that little extra clearance got him over obsticles I would hit on. I believe it to be more than an 1" in clearance but that is a mighty inch! Now for the downside. We had to swap out another CV Friday night on Rick's rig. I think the RC's geometry with the CV puts the CV at too steep an angle resulting in pre-mature failure with the CV. At this point I can almost guarantee that if you are going to wheel your rig anything more than blues you're going to be replacing CV's. I don't know much about the other 6" lifts and if the CV sits flatter with them or not. I also believe that droop is also to blame for the failure. Rick did some wild stuff with his FJ and i was thoroughly impressed but I don't know if it's worth having to carry two extra CV's with you to every event to the tune of $400 a piece.

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
ive got the fabtek 6", with dirt logic 2.5 coilovers....love it!! from ride, to performance, to what it allows me to do...i believe the pro comp is only a 5.5"..i hear alot of people go with the rc, but most(of the ones ive spoken with)went with it b/c of its price..the fabtek is deff not cheap, but i dont want "cheap" under my family..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts