Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running a 6" llift with 33s? I recently purchased an 08 FJC and am researching potential lift and tire combos. I like the belly clearance (not to mention look) of the 6" lift but am concerned about increased strain on the drivetrain caused by heavier wheels (Walker Evans) and 35" tires when wheeling. Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Lifts do not give you clearance from the trail...that is a function of tire height. You will get no advantage with a 6" lift instead of the normal 3" lift if running tires less than 35" in diameter.

Majority of persons here run 3" lift with tires of your size....

You are correct that there is additional strain on CV and other components with 6" and modifications will need to be made to accomadate this lift or be prepared for repairs as things are going to break.

Here is my lift and tire combo...cant speak for others but this is mine:

5ea Nitto Terra Grapplers 295x70x17 (33.2inches)
ToyTec 3" OME (Old Man Emu) lift (885/895) which is MEDIUM/MEDIUM with their 1/2" strut mounts that are included in kit to give a full 3" of lift on front versus 2.5" with basic OME kit through other vendors.

I did not buy the OME shocks for rear or new struts for front...using Toyota oem struts and shocks that came with vehicle to save some money though I may lose 2-3" of wheel travel in rear. When I need to replace stock units will put on OME shocks/struts at that time.

I did not do the body chop mount and unless you are an EXTREME offroader with high impact landings and severe wheel compression it will not rub as installed above.

Without Lift on Nitto 295s

With ToyTec lift and Nitto tires

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Agreed w/Brock on this issue. The biggest advantage to the available 6" lifts is the ability to run a larger tire, which will give you some ground clearance with the taller tires.

Yes, TennesseeSquire had been running 33's on his RC 6" lift but I think he recently changed to the newer KM2's but forgot his new tire size. Do a quick search for his rig and include "KM2" in the search and I'm sure it will bring up his rig...

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
ive got the fabtech 6", and running 35" tires. have no problems. no body chop. just added the spidertrax wheel spacers, and wa la! im sure there will be some problems, some time, but havent ran into them yet.

·
Banned
337 Posts
6"'s look funky enough even with 35" they have a HUGE wheel gap that makes it look like a clearly overly lifted vehicle, a 6" with 33"'s would just look silly. Here's TQ's vehicle...maybe it's just me, but I think it looks really "funky" with those tires being 33"

I guess I'm just not a fan of abnormal gaps.

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
as for looks, it just a matter of personal prefrence..its kinda like a body lift..the biggest disadvantage, (ive been told), is the visable gap...now, on the flip, some really like the "look" the gap creates..so, as far as the gap with the 6", and the look....its all in the eye of the beholder...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of your replies. As far as a 6" lift not giving any advantages over a 3" lift with anything smaller than 33s, with all due respect, I believe this to be an incorect statement. You would be correct that you don't gain any advantage at the diferentials but measure the distance to your sliders and you will gain clearance. I've always runa 3 inch lift in the past and while very practicle, I would often wind up hung up on my belly skids or sliders when wheeling (over a berm for example). A 6" lift would help to alleviate that type of situation with or without the larger tires. Or I could just pick a better line... Thanks again for all your responses.:rocker:

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Thanks for all of your replies. As far as a 6" lift not giving any advantages over a 3" lift with anything smaller than 33s, with all due respect, I believe this to be an incorect statement. You would be correct that you don't gain any advantage at the diferentials but measure the distance to your sliders and you will gain clearance. I've always runa 3 inch lift in the past and while very practicle, I would often wind up hung up on my belly skids or sliders when wheeling (over a berm for example). A 6" lift would help to alleviate that type of situation with or without the larger tires. Or I could just pick a better line... Thanks again for all your responses.:rocker:

The clearance issue is with the front cross member. It just sticks out down in front now with no skidplate. You'll have to get a custom skid made since there are currently none offered nor compatible with a 6" lift. :wave:

·
Banned
337 Posts
More crucial components are at danger during off-roading with a 6". that combined with the lift cost, the right tires and wheels to make it look right, the diff drop and loss of mpg, everything else...it's hardly worth it. 3" is a FAR better choice, besides, add new control arms and the likes and you'll be at around 4.5"

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Won't that 4.5" be too great an angle for the stock cvs without a diff drop? I've run the TC UCAs recently and they were saaweeeeet! Exceot for the creaky bushings that is.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
most will agree that a full 33" tire with 3" OME/TOYTEC lift does not require any drops...but a differential drop kit is available from ToyTec for virtually nothing ($29) if you want peace of mind.

as for clearance...while it might affect height of sliders as you mentioned...ground clearance is typically counted from lowest point on vehicle to ground whether it is differential or transfer case....between the lower arms and some other things...the sliders are least of your worries when wheeling.

Sounds like you are really wanting the 6" lift with 33" tires....so go for it. All we can do is give you our honest opinion on what GAINS there are versus any NEGATIVES and so far I have not seen any GAINS other than you can go over 35" tire with modifications to driveline and other areas if you use 6". It does have a cool factor involved with 6" but just depends on your reasoning and likes.

I dont think you will find anyone that will tell you your vehicle will wheel better or easier with 6" versus 3" while using a tire smaller than 35".

Good luck....like some mentioned we do have a few around here with IFS and a 6" lift so best to get with them and see how they wheel and what mods they did in addition to just the lift and tires...and what weak points they have found through breakages.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks Brock, and I do appreciate your opinions. I am leaning towards a 3" and was just looking for a shove in the right direction. As if the gas prices alone werent a shove in the right direction...

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
6"'s look funky enough even with 35" they have a HUGE wheel gap that makes it look like a clearly overly lifted vehicle, a 6" with 33"'s would just look silly. Here's TQ's vehicle...maybe it's just me, but I think it looks really "funky" with those tires being 33"

You picked a old picture, didn't you?

I sorry that my FJ looks "funky" to you, but if you would like be buy me some 35" tires I would gladly accept them :)

·
Registered
3,093 Posts

Looks good to me. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
The clearance issue is with the front cross member. It just sticks out down in front now with no skidplate. You'll have to get a custom skid made since there are currently none offered nor compatible with a 6" lift. :wave:
Wrong :)

BudBuild makes the skids that work with the Rough Country 6" lift, check Matt07FJ's build for those

Also, the Rough Country 6" kit comes with a front skid plate, check my build for it.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Terry,
What kind of hit did you take to your gas mileage with the 6" RC?
6" with BFG All Terrain KO's 305-65-17" tires 16-17 mpg
6" with BFG Mud Terrain KM2's 305-65-17" tires 13-14 mpg

I think Matt is getting around 11 with 35" Dick Cepek Mud Country tires & a full set of BudBuilt skid plates.

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
as for right now, the skid plate issue is correct...i have not been able to find one to accomidate the added heigth. any suggestions in that dept would be greatly appreciated. as for the best way to get through, or over anything..look for a skinnier, TALLER tire. that is the only other true way to lift a diff box

1 - 20 of 34 Posts