Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

After a long investigating and reading threads, I finally decided to get a 6" pro comp lifting kit. I have already an estimate from 4wheelparts. The guy overthere seems pretty good. Anyway, I had a hard time deciding. My biggest concern is keeping my warrenty, have a good set of tire and rims. My first disapointment was to discover that I have to buy a 18" rims. I wanted to stay at 17". My second desapointment is when I discovered that tire BFGoodrich BAJA A/T don't fit on 18" wheels. So I had to go with a different set of tire.

Right now i'm trying to find a dealer that will confirm that my warrenty is still valid. When I get that, I will go get my liftkit installed.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
My guess is that lifting your FJ in any way (and adding oversized wheels and tires) will probably result in voiding (or actually the refusal of Toyota to honor) your warranty for any suspension related claims and could also put you at risk of "voiding" any axle or drivetrain claims as well.

If this happened you could try to sue Toyota for failing to honor the warranty, but you'd have to prove that the changes you made did not "materially" alter the sytems in question, which (unlike changing the type of air or oil filter you use) would be very difficult to do if you lift your FJ, body chop it and mount oversized wheels and tires. So, if you don't want to "self-insure" for any potential problems related to the lift, just don't do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked to the guys at 4wheelpro. Apparently, they do business with a toyota dealer who ounce in a while give them some lifting job on FJ's they sell. I'm trying to reach them. I will see what they say.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well, pretty much you loose some of your warranty. In some other cases where the dealer vended the truck out new & then sold it lifted as a custom package they are gonna take care of it. Its the price you pay when you alter it from stk. IMHO

When you have someone alter the OE engineering of your vehicle by cutting the frt cross member to lower the diff etc. You are going to meet resistance in quite a few areas when it comes to your warranty. IMO

Do a little research here on the forum. There are mass threads here discussing this issue. Good Luck!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hi,

After a long investigating and reading threads, I finally decided to get a 6" pro comp lifting kit. I have already an estimate from 4wheelparts. The guy overthere seems pretty good. Anyway, I had a hard time deciding. My biggest concern is keeping my warrenty, have a good set of tire and rims. My first disapointment was to discover that I have to buy a 18" rims. I wanted to stay at 17". My second desapointment is when I discovered that tire BFGoodrich BAJA A/T don't fit on 18" wheels. So I had to go with a different set of tire.

Right now i'm trying to find a dealer that will confirm that my warrenty is still valid. When I get that, I will go get my liftkit installed.
I'm actually in Houston, work for Champion Toyota, and we lift FJ's right here in house. If we install the lift, we warranty it, no problem! I invite you to come by and take a look at mine with the Rough Country 6" lift installed on it. I'd like to be able to give you a quote on a 6" lift for your FJ. Please give me a call! You can reach me at the toll free number in my signature.

Thanks

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well i dont know about 6 inch only because more stress but my dealer said that they will warranty everything except the parts i put in duh.. And the toyota tech said that he will fix one thing for free if i do something stupid like blow a clutch which i dont need to worry or rip a cv boot because i ran over a stick.:rocker::rocker:

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
i looked at pro comp and fabtech lifts...went with the fab b/c i could run a 17" wheel, PLUS i was informed that the pro comp lift was not an actual 6"..more like a 5 /2 lift.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ajstoy, I talked with the guy from 4wheelparts, and he told me that I have to switch for 18" wheels with Fabtech and procomp. You have Fabtech and run 17"!!! I might want to run with Fabtech too. How do you like your Fabtech lift kit?
I talked with Shannon and he will show me the rought country on his rig this week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts