Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after days of looking at pictures and reading threads I think I like the stance of forum contributor tenneseesquires rig. Being in the Seattle area I called a local shop and was told that RC doesn't make a 6" lift for the 2010 yet. Is this true? Who in our forum group of vendors can handle all my modding needs? Ideas?

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I'll be the first to respond that the RC lift will not fit on a 2010, but it will. Confused? At least RC is telling you it will not as they should. Unlike me, RC told the dealership where I bought mine from that it fits and me as well. It wasn't until I had my mechanic start installing it when he ran into problems that I made a call to inquire and they said it doesn't fit.

From what my mechanic told me (paraphrasing here), there are problems with the holes and alignment tabs a little small. Skid plates that come with the kit don't fit correctly. Some VSC issues on slow turns. Very rough ride.

With that, the kit will fit with some small "harmless" adjustments by a knowledgeable mechanic. Mine is a master mechanic for a local dealership that does work on the side for a whole lot better pricing.

I would suggest purchasing the Radflo coil-overs for the front (that's what I have and the ride great in the front), too bad I didn't buy the piggy backs for the rears as they need replacing bad! They would help what feels like 1ton springs in the back.

With all said know that it will work, but not 100%, and that the cost of the kit ($1,300), install ($750 dealership quote), and replacement shocks ($900 for front $700 rear) that you will most definitely want, it will be a considerable cost for the total package. That's not including spacers or new required wheels and tires (RC requires a 17" wheel per instal and 4+" of backspacing (I think), but I got away with 1.75" spacers and TRD 16" wheel)

Just look up Trip C's install pictures of his as it will help or PM me if you have more questions. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^yuck.... that sounds horrible. Glad my lift was a simple bolt on job.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
There has been a few of us on here that have done the RC 6" lift on the 2010. There were some problems with the fitment issues but nothing to severe. The skid plates will not work with the 2010. and some of the holes don't line up, but you just drill them out to where you need them and you can make it work. There is also an issue with the sway bar being mounted back up. I think someone else, maybe tripc, customized and welded pieces to get his back on. I have the ICON coilovers with mine and I opted to just leave the sway bar off. If you are driving down the road and you take a sharp turn you will feel the differance but it is not that bad.
The rear springs are really stiff, but I am hoping since I have an aftermarket rear bumper and 35" spare back there, it will loosen up. Other than that, it is a great setup. You can click on my buildup link below to see pictures. let us know if you have more ?'s.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that sounds like a lot of trouble for what I will use it for. Mostly driving on my job sites and weekend camping trips with moderate wheeling or trekking. What could I do with an ome or icon kit to get a similar stance? From what I'm reading a 16 or 17 is the way to go. What is a good tire size won't rub? 34x? Or? It just sounds like a lot of hassle to make a 6" kit work. I'd rather not lose my complete ride quality.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Just to clarify a bit, it's nothing horrible I just wanted you to know what you are looking at cost and mechanical wise so you can make an informed choice. I do love the look and the ride height better than a 3" lift. The ride will get better when I change the rear shocks and add the Exp#1 rear swing out bumper.

The cheapest thing to do to keep the complete stock ride is to add some spacers in the front to level out your rig. There are so many great 3"lifts out there, but OME is probably one of the cheapest and minimal change for a lift, but you again have to have in mind what type of shocks (medium or heavy) and what you are going to do to your rig. Just have a real total price in mind you are willing to spend for the lift and install and any other accessories you are going to have add (some lifts require 17"wheels) or want to add. Once you start modding it's hard to stop and usually you add more weight to your rig with skids, bumpers, tires, etc. and that can play a role in the lift you want because a soft ride and all the additions may cause your rig to sag in one area or bottom out while a little harsher ride empty will ride stiff until you add all of the mods (weight).

The bigger tires you want to run may cause you to need a body chop on your front mounts so keep that in mind. You may not want to start cutting and welding on your rig. there are plenty of nice looking and functional tires in the 33" range. Just read, read, and read again on any of the lift and tire areas and make the best informed choice you can. PM anyone if you have specific questions as this forum is great about getting answers without BS. have fun and if you need anything further just PM me. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
anyone know if i can do this temporary? I plan on just getting a 6in rc and putting 315/75r16 but could I temporarily run a 3in spacer lift with the tire wheel combo until i can afford the rough country?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts