Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my FJC three weeks ago and got a 6MT. I really like it, but..... I am 47 years old and have been driving manual transmissions since I was 16. I am having a heck of a problem getting a smooth shift from 1-2 and 2-3 (especially from 2-3). It makes me feel like I have never driven a manual before. Specifically, when I take my foot off the gas and then push in the clutch, the engine revs up 200 rpm's. How can it do that with my foot OFF THE GAS?

I suspect it is responding to some type of computer sensor and NOT to the accelerator pedal.

Can someone explain what is going on and whether the service department can make an adjustment to whatever it is?

Thanks for the help.
Charlie

·
Premium Member
12,956 Posts
The drive by wire is slow to respond to user input, took me a while to adjust but now that I've got it things ate smooth.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree, it took some time for me to get in sync. with my Fj. I noticed the cold idle rpm is noticeably higher but once the engine is warm the idle appears to be lower. I had to stop trying to drive the veh. like it was my motorcycle or a sports car. Once I figured that out my shifts have become much smoother.

I'm afraid I probably beat the hell out of the synchros (especially when shifting from 2-3 and 4-5th gears) for the first year or so.

Hope Your issue is not serious but if the engine idle is fluctuating then maybe it would be best to make a visit to the dealer.

Good Luck and let us know how it works out . . .

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
45 here and have always driven manuals. Previous vehicle was a 92 Toyota 4x4 5 speed manual. Drove it for 16 years. When I got the FJ, I had to learn to shift(and drive) it differently than what I was use too with my old truck. Took a little while, but I've gotten pretty smooth now, even when getting on the SC. :)

Give it some time, you just need to re-adjust. Don't fight it, that won't help. :lol:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have had my manual for over 100k it revs up to keep from building up excess carbon. It took me a few months to get used the feel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to learn to shift(and drive) it differently than what I was use too with my old truck. Took a little while, but I've gotten pretty smooth now:
Many thanks for all the comments. Glad it's not me and not a major issue with the FJ.

Several of you commented (as in the quote from FJTTSE) that you had to learn to shift and drive it differently. Can some of you comment on specifically what you are doing differently with shifting to make it a smoother shift between gears?

Thanks.
Charlie

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Took me about a month or so to get use to it...

Couple of things to consider...

1) RPM - i usually shift at 1800 or so into second, same into 3rd and 2100-2200 rpm for 4,5,6.
2) Clutch travel - i am not saying that all FJ`s behave the same, probably not.. but i never push clutch all the way to the floor, except when shifting into first gear or reverse. Just a little bit over half way is enough to shift up or down.
3) Temperatures... then colder it gets, then less smoothness when shifting, no matter what you do.

Just my 02c :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Many thanks for all the comments. Glad it's not me and not a major issue with the FJ.

Several of you commented (as in the quote from FJTTSE) that you had to learn to shift and drive it differently. Can some of you comment on specifically what you are doing differently with shifting to make it a smoother shift between gears?

Thanks.
Charlie
Not sure but I can tell you that I can shift without clutching if I want to I don't usually but once you learn the feel its like butter, can't really explain but it has to do with rpm etc (I don't look usually around town I shift around 2000-2500). The FJ is much smoother than my previous three vehicles. I feel like the clutch release is lower than my Mazda pickup but I always felt like the Mazda released high.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
You've got a new truck so things are tight and will need a little time to wear in and loosen up. Until that happens, shifting will be... awkward. It will loosen up and shifting will become smooth as you learn it. I also put in the TRD Quick Shifter and that helped. Couldn't stand the long throw of the stock shifter.

I don't really pay attention to when I shift RPM wise, I've let the FJ train me over time with practice until I was smooth :lol:, but I think I shift similar to Ivan70 unless I'm in the SC. :)

I push the clutch a little further down than Ivan70 does, but not all the way to the floor.

I think you just need some drive time in the FJ to get that tranny(and drive train) loosened up and get familiar with the feel.

You might also want to consider the TRD or URD quick shifter too. The short shifter was my first mod. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not sure but I can tell you that I can shift without clutching if I want to I don't usually but once you learn the feel its like butter, can't really explain but it has to do with rpm etc (I don't look usually around town I shift around 2000-2500). The FJ is much smoother than my previous three vehicles. I feel like the clutch release is lower than my Mazda pickup but I always felt like the Mazda released high.
I reread your original post for the record I never had problems getting mine into gear I had Suzuki Samurai that was hard to shift between first and second. I used to miss shifts on the FJ (shifting into the wrong gear, but not hard shifts). So if your having problems getting into to gear I would recommend taking it to the service center for warranty service.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Biggest problem for me was like someone already said. The throttle is a little slow to respond so you have to be earlier with it than you might be used to.

I was in the habit of double clutching on downshifts with my previous manual but that's just about impossible on the FJ with the lag in throttle response. Now I just hit the gas as I'm starting to move the shifter and by the time I'm letting the clutch out the RPMs are up a little. That at least smooths out the downshift a bit.

For upshifting, you may try shifting at about 2500 RPMs. That will make it easier to shift smoothly. Once you get comfortable there, you can work on shifting earlier.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
For upshifting, you may try shifting at about 2500 RPMs. That will make it easier to shift smoothly. Once you get comfortable there, you can work on shifting earlier.
Same here. The vehicle's smoother when shifting > 2000RPM, even though it "doesn't sound as nice." My ceiling's 2500RPM, although at times I'd need more on an incline.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
It takes a little time to get used to shifting the FJ. I felt the same when I first drove mine.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The throttle is a little slow to respond so you have to be earlier with it than you might be used to.

Now I just hit the gas as I'm starting to move the shifter and by the time I'm letting the clutch out the RPMs are up a little. That at least smooths out the downshift a bit.
That pretty much describes my methodology as well. Also, when up-shifting, I generally take my foot off the gas just a half second sooner than normal before pushing in the clutch. That way, by the time I've pushed the clutch, the rpms are already either stable or on their way down.

Driving the 6MT is all about timing things and listening to the engine. You just can't rush the process....no banging gears or speed shifting. I absolutely hate the drive-by-wire, but we're stuck with it.

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
Took me about a month or so to get use to it...

Couple of things to consider...

1) RPM - i usually shift at 1800 or so into second, same into 3rd and 2100-2200 rpm for 4,5,6.
2) Clutch travel - i am not saying that all FJ`s behave the same, probably not.. but i never push clutch all the way to the floor, except when shifting into first gear or reverse. Just a little bit over half way is enough to shift up or down.
3) Temperatures... then colder it gets, then less smoothness when shifting, no matter what you do.

Just my 02c :)
All helpful things to remember. Also glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't push the clutch all the way.
X3 on the short shift kit, IMO it is a must. Make a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
There are 2-reasons the engine speed increases during gear shift:
1) to maintain similar speeds between the input and output shafts to the transmission. this generally does promote smoother engagemnet of the clutch hub sleeve and gear synchronizer ring.
2) emissions; they achieve the over rev condition by leaning the fuel mixture, generally harmless under the short no-load condition of the engine.

Reactions: Dominic1

·
Registered
322 Posts
Shifting in the FJ was awkward for me at first, fortunately got use to it. It's now awkward when I jump in my fiances spectra. Very short throw and you barely have to push the clutch in to shift and there is no funky idle going on when the clutch is depressed.

I've be debated the quick shifter kit from urd, wasn't sure if it made that much of a difference or not. Thought it may help since I mostly drive on hills.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There are 2-reasons the engine speed increases during gear shift:
1) to maintain similar speeds between the input and output shafts to the transmission. this generally does promote smoother engagemnet of the clutch hub sleeve and gear synchronizer ring.
2) emissions; they achieve the over rev condition by leaning the fuel mixture, generally harmless under the short no-load condition of the engine.
Bingo, spot-on answers!

Rev matching your shifts works best or even double clutching in cold weather.

Blip the throttle just before your shifts to get your syncros up to speed - makes a world of difference.

Reactions: Dominic1
1 - 20 of 53 Posts