Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

Not sure where to post this. I have done a little searching and haven't found an answer.
My '07 FJ has a very loud whine, drone, moan sound that is very apparent from about 60-70 MPH (from low pitch whine to high pitch whine and starts to fade out after 70). When i take my foot off the gas, the noise goes completely silent. Noise does not change with which gear i am in.
I have recently changed my rear diff fluid as well as grease all driveline zerts and neither seemed to make a difference. There wasn't excessive metal particles on the magnetic plug either.
Any ideas? The noise is driving me insane.

4x4
AT
e-lock

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2007 over 60mph it has a lot of road noise coming from the rear.I have checked the rearend and can't find any play in the bearings.My tires are just M&S nothing with big lugs. I have only had it for a few months so i am not sure how much noise they have.I would see if you have any bearing play at the wheel top to bottom play.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
You didn’t state total mileage, so we don’t know how far into their normal service life the driveline components are.

Given your statement that the noise totally disappears on trailing throttle, I’d suspect bearing wear/loss of preload in the rear differential.

Before spending any time investigating the diff, make sure you check the cheap/easy stuff like U-joint condition, condition of oil in the transfer case, etc.

I’m assuming this is an auto trans model and you are NOT driving it in 4WD mode on the street.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
3,078 Posts
that sound you are hearing, more than likely are your front wheel bearings.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Are we sure it's not the top windshield molding like with so many other members here once their mph hit a certain speed?

Next time you hear it, grab your rear view mirror to see if it's vibrating. It could very well be the windshield molding / panel. (it's worth a shot)

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Dakota510, please confirm that the moan disappears INSTANTLY when you release the accelerator, reversing torque in the driveline.

If it does, that pretty much eliminates tire whine or windshield molding flutter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
that sound you are hearing, more than likely are your front wheel bearings.
I had the same issue but for me anything over 100 km/h when driving on Highway with no play in my front wheel bearings (tire pull test). With well over 190,000 km on my 08' I decided to change out the front wheel bearings. I purchased the complete hub/bearings from Midstate off-road. Fixed my issue also improved my gas mileage because guess they were seizing up on me but I was just used to hitting the pedal harder to keep up with traffic.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
3,078 Posts
Toyota bearing tolerances are very tight.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Morning,

Not sure where to post this. I have done a little searching and haven't found an answer.
My '07 FJ has a very loud whine, drone, moan sound that is very apparent from about 60-70 MPH (from low pitch whine to high pitch whine and starts to fade out after 70). When i take my foot off the gas, the noise goes completely silent. Noise does not change with which gear i am in.
I have recently changed my rear diff fluid as well as grease all driveline zerts and neither seemed to make a difference. There wasn't excessive metal particles on the magnetic plug either.

4x4
AT
e-lock
[/QUOTE
Morning,

4x4
AT
e-lock
mine does the same thing and I have a new 3rd member from ECGS that was installed 4 days ago. Did you ever find the problem?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Morning,

4x4
AT
e-lock
Did you ever figure anything out? I’m in the same boat

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bumping an old thread. I’m experiencing the same. Although in my case, the deep pitched sound is instant as soon as I hit the gas regardless of the speed I’m going and goes away once I let off the gas. Seems like it could be a rear pinion bearing?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bumping an old thread. I’m experiencing the same. Although in my case, the deep pitched sound is instant as soon as I hit the gas regardless of the speed I’m going and goes away once I let off the gas. Seems like it could be a rear pinion bearing?
that was the issue I was having when I first got my FJ. Got a new 3rd member from ECGS and asked them if they found the problem in my old diff. They said it was the ring and pinion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What does your diff oil look like?
Old oil wasn’t black but it wasn’t the cleanest either. A GOOD amount of metal shavings on the drain plug. I’m thinking about changing it again to see if there are more shavings and refilling with 75w140 oil with some friction modifier to see if it helps as a last resort.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Old oil wasn’t black but it wasn’t the cleanest either. A GOOD amount of metal shavings on the drain plug. I’m thinking about changing it again to see if there are more shavings and refilling with 75w140 oil with some friction modifier to see if it helps as a last resort.
Actual metal shaving or that silver goo?

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
The 'friction modifier' in some gear oils is to strictly to prevent chattering of the clutch in limited slip differentials, and will have no effect on worn bearings or ring-and-pinion gear problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It was metallic sludge - very fine shavings. Seems like the diff is on its last legs. Wondering if the thicker oil will buy more time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts