Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three plus years in the making and finally got a suspension upgrade. I’m in auto sales (we have FJ’s on the reg 😉) so I don’t get to wheel nearly as often as I would like. This being the reason for my selection. Wanted something comfortable for a daily driver while still being capable off-road.

I ended up going with the Bilstein 6112/5160 combo set on the 4th notch. I also did the OME trim packer (for the lean), Wheeler’s Off-Road Eibach 1.5” lift coils and Wheeler’s Superbumps bumpstops. I ordered all these parts from different vendors and made a video review/comparison of what to expect from each. I haven’t finished the editing but will post when completed!

The before and after photos are both on MB 352 17x9 wheels and Cooper Discoverer 265/70/17 ATP tires (as you will see I’m going to need bigger tires even though the pictures don’t do the stance increase justice).

I took before measurements on a full tank of gas and will take after measurements the next time I fill up. Might be a couple days before I get to it, being that today is the start of my eight day stretch and we’ve got the 4th coming up. LOL the lift went on yesterday, so of course further on down the road I will give a review on the ride quality. To answer your now questions, the mechanic shop that installed these are a locally owned/operated family business that has been around Mesa for quite some time. When he called me to let me know it was done, he made sure to tell me how impressed he was with the ride. “Usually these lifted vehicles are super stiff and ride like **** but for what you got I was really impressed with the smoothness of the ride.”

So have a look and let me know what y’all think. As more time passes I’ll come back to the thread and give you updates. Cheers 🍻

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here’s a couple pics of them installed. Finding good ones in a Google search is near impossible. In one of the photos you’ll notice a yellow piece above the coil, that’s the OME trim packer. I also forgot to mention they’re equipped with new KYB strut mounts. Phoenix did it’s number on the old assemblies, they were all dried out and cracked. Made for a quicker install

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Looks good. How did the alignment go? Also, it looks like your rear sway bar link isn't tightened up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good. How did the alignment go? Also, it looks like your rear sway bar link isn't tightened up.

I noticed that when taking the picture. I’m no mechanic but it didn’t look right. Do you think that’s a pressing issue? Looks like an easy DIY fix, no?

As for the alignment, I’m holding off for a day or two. Fourth of July tire sales have me chomping at the bit for some new rubber...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to get her to the gas station and fill her up last night. After some quick adjustments with some vise grips and a 12mm wrench this morning I got the sway bar link in check.

Afterwards I was able to get some measurements taken for you all. Keep in mind I had a couple of leaking shocks before hand, but I’m still amazed at the gains in height. The after measurements are 48 hours after the install.

BEFORE

DF- 34”
DR- 35 1/2”
PF- 34 1/8”
PR- 36 1/2”

AFTER

DF- 37 1/8”
DR- 37 5/8”
PF- 37 1/8”
PR- 38 1/4”

The OME packer was 10 or 12mm, I don’t recall. Before I had an entire inch of DS lean in the rear and now it’s at 5/8”. Not perfect but much easier on the eyes. As for the Wheeler’s coils, they are not DS/PS specific, if you need any leveling done you’ll have to ad a spacer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Any updates on the alignment without aftermarket Upper Control Arms?

What size tires are you going with after Lift?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally have a day off today and will be heading over to DT. I’m hoping that I can get some prorated cash on a new set of 285/70/17 KM3’s. These Cooper ATP’s are less than 3 years old and have been rotated at every oil change. All four tires have cracked sidewalls. Hoping all goes well at Discount and will be able to mount up new tires with a report back on the alignment in a day or two.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the trip to DT went well but made for a change of plans. The salesperson kept insisting that the cracking was standard for a 2.5 year old tire in Phoenix. Maybe he’s right? Either way we came to an agreement and he prorated me $350 for 8/32 tread depth (had the oil changed at the dealer last week and they had measured at 12/32, hmmm..). Anyways, pretty happy with the outcome and ended up ordering some Cooper STT Pros in 285/70/17. They won’t be in until Monday. Once they’re mounted up I’ll have the alignment done Monday night or Tuesday afternoon and get y’all an update

·
Registered
527 Posts
I had a similar cracking issue with 3 yr old BFG KOs and Discount Tire pro-rated my new KO 2's on the spot. I was happy because I was contemplating new tires at 60k miles next year any way. I live in San Diego, but it's dry and sunny like Phoenix. I stayed with the stock 265/75R16 because they look good, ride good, are quiet, and have decent gas mileage. The KO2s have a better sidewall tread pattern and seam that should help stop cracking.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man I love me some San Diego! Those KO2’s are a great looking tire. I was really wanting the KM3’s but for $400 less the STT Pro was a no brainer. I’m thinking the same as you though, the ATP’s were a 2-ply sidewall and the STT’s are a 3-ply. Really hoping that helps with the longevity. Love new tires but I’d rather be spending the cash on a bumper or new rack 😂

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The STT’s showed up at DT today. So stoked! Completely happy with the new rubber. Way less noise and much smoother ride than expected. Should have the alignment handled by tomorrow evening and will report back. Can’t wait to get this baby out in some dirt!

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the alignment done a while back. Not really sure how to decipher the algorithm of the alignment, but I do see that everything is in the green. She’s driving like a dream. There’s very minimal space between the tire and stock UCA but so far no rubbing. Haven’t gotten her out in any dirt yet but I guess only time will tell.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts