Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice. Spent an hour on the phone with sales rep at ToyTec today discussing suspension options for my 07 MT which currently has a 3" pro-comp lift which is tired and in need of replacing. FJ has 150lbs extra weight up front with winch and US off Road winch mount bumper, plans for dual battery in the future but that is it for mods. FJ is daily driver and we hit up forest roads and trails in CO/UT all summer to get to remote camping, not trying to push her to her limits or anything crazy...

I was 100% set on having ToyTec install 6112's up front with 650lb springs and 5160's in the rear. ToyTec sales person says I will regret this because the 6112's are basically a bigger bore 5100, I do not do any desert racing which is what the 6112's were designed for and ultimately, he believes the 6112's will fail on me sooner than the Toytec's would. He is doing everything in his power to sway me towards the more expensive ToyTec Boss Aluma 2.0/2.5 and I feel like this is just a ploy to get me to buy ToyTec instead of the tried and true Bilsteins.

Anyone have experience with these set ups and why did you chose the one over the other?

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Looking for advice. Spent an hour on the phone with sales rep at ToyTec today discussing suspension options for my 07 MT which currently has a 3" pro-comp lift which is tired and in need of replacing. FJ has 150lbs extra weight up front with winch and US off Road winch mount bumper, plans for dual battery in the future but that is it for mods. FJ is daily driver and we hit up forest roads and trails in CO/UT all summer to get to remote camping, not trying to push her to her limits or anything crazy...

I was 100% set on having ToyTec install 6112's up front with 650lb springs and 5160's in the rear. ToyTec sales person says I will regret this because the 6112's are basically a bigger bore 5100, I do not do any desert racing which is what the 6112's were designed for and ultimately, he believes the 6112's will fail on me sooner than the Toytec's would. He is doing everything in his power to sway me towards the more expensive ToyTec Boss Aluma 2.0/2.5 and I feel like this is just a ploy to get me to buy ToyTec instead of the tried and true Bilsteins.

Anyone have experience with these set ups and why did you chose the one over the other?
For your stated use the 6112’s will do great. The shock diameter is bigger than 5100 and comparable to a 2.5” diameter shock and will handle the extra front end weight better. Also the lower stem on the 6112 is much beefier than a 5100. I have heard of a few of people with broken lower stems on the 5100 but haven’t heard of that happening on a 6112.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Are the 6112s still recommended if there is no extra weight added to the FJ? I was looking into the Toytec aluma but most of my off-road travel consist of taking dirt roads to get to camping spots. I'm just looking to increase the height for bigger tires and improve the ride quality for daily driving.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
the Toytecs are rebranded Elkas
Not to hijack this thread, but where do Toytecs need to go to be rebuilt? (I ask because I have Elka 2.5's and having more rebuilding options down the road might be handy.)

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Elka is a popular brand in the ATV world. Honestly rebuilding shocks is not that difficult and with a few tools you could do them yourself . But to answer your question i would contact Toytec or Elka and ask who they use .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts