Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done a search and found a cracked intake manifold being the solution, but I don't believe my issue is that fix.

I currently have 750 miles on my TT, in gears 4,5 and 6 there is a constant gear whine coming from the tranny/transfer case while driving a constant speed. With the windows down or radio on it is not noticable, but with the a/c running and the windows up and radio off this hum gets irritating.

Do the gears ever quiet down? Will adding more miles quiet this issue?

My V8 full time 4WD 4Runner auto also had gear whine and it must have been the transfer case as the whine/hum went away after a few thousand miles.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Re: 6MT gera whine?

In gears 4,5 and 6. What rpms are you running at? I very rarely use 6th gear unless I am Cruising @ 75+ miles per hour.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I'm running at about 2K rpm's.

Most of this occurs with a speed of 25-65mph never exceeding 2,500 rpm in shifting.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts

22,000 miles 6 MT no whining in any gear ever. Remember that the 6 MT model is AWD and not Part-time like the automatic T, therefore it is more sensible to keeping all four tires same psi and relatively same wearing.

·
Registered
627 Posts

Yea that will die down. Thats why they call it the break in period. I have a little over 2600mi. Just curious do you feel an toothy gears? My 3rd is toothy from time to time but nothing horrible.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yea that will die down. Thats why they call it the break in period. I have a little over 2600mi. Just curious do you feel an toothy gears? My 3rd is toothy from time to time but nothing horrible.
Yes, my third is toothy. You really have to think about shifting to keep it from catching. I was thinking of getting the TRD quickshift in hopes that it would solve the toothy problem, 2nd is also kinda toothy.

Just checked my tire pressure on Saturday, 35psi all around. Dealer had them at 32psi and the doorjam said 35. I'll put another 1K on it before bringing it up to the dealer, it does seem to be abating and it is intermittent. Which is a curse in trying to get anything fixed that is not completely broken and hanging below the rig.

·
Registered
627 Posts

Well good hopefully it will pass after some time. Any non-TT 6MT drivers? I must admit the last week it hasn't been as bad. Ive never felt the teeth on second or any other gears for that matter. I'm not sure the quickshift would help with the teeth but defiantly make it feel less row boat like. Hope your enjoying the TT as much as I am.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
No teethy gears here. Mine has 22,500 miles and I have cherished every gear change.

I tend to keep it a little higher in the powerband.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts