Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
First thing is A-track only works in LL so that is out.

In my opinion it is best to use the locker and stay in HL but you will have to hack the locker to get it to work in HL (its an easy hack, check my build up thread for a link) Keep the RPM's high and the speed up and have fun. In the sand you need to be aggressive.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I use my atrac and keep it in 2nd gear in 4 low to keep my RPMs around 2000 I kill hills:D

suicide hill at cinder hills flagstaff!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So just let it rip in HL? Atrac only works in LL? So if I get in a bind go to LL and use the Atrac to bail me out? I know I'm asking lots of questions...I drive a 4hp lifted electric golf cart on the sand all day so you think this would be easy stuff. I just had to ask.

No problems on the beach here...

·
Registered
499 Posts
First thing is A-track only works in LL so that is out.

In my opinion it is best to use the locker and stay in HL but you will have to hack the locker to get it to work in HL (its an easy hack, check my build up thread for a link) Keep the RPM's high and the speed up and have fun. In the sand you need to be aggressive.
am i right in thinking that the locker at high speeds is a big no no?
or is this just on surfaces with more traction

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Hatteras is not that bad with the FJ's at all... We
never got stuck or dug-in on any of our trips down
there with our FJ's, even with not airing down...
We used HL most of the time... If we saw that we
were coming to some real deep sand, we would put
it down to LL to keep the power up... Also, even
though most times we did not air down, it does
help alot to do so as far as ride and traction...

·
Texican
8,570 Posts
As long as the surface is loose as in sand or mud then lock away, you have more chances of getting into trouble when you are on high traction surfaces like solid rock or pavement.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have gotten stuck without airing down in extreme situations...had an embarrassing moment in my ol ZR2 blazer first time at the cinders in flagstaff:lol: I always air down...dont run the locker at high speeds.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I just leave it in HL and leave it in 2nd gear and just pretty much keep it at higher rpm's.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
I've gone as fast as 70-75mph with my locker on, you will be fine. I am not sure why so many people are afraid of the locker I use it all the time with out any problems, but I also hate A-trac and never use it at lest for me in the MT. I wont recommend using the locker though at high speeds on hard surfaces that is when you will break stuff, but in the sand no problems at all.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
I use LL, 2nd gear and the locker on. Keep in mind that A-Track dis-engages at around 5MPH (can't remember exact speed) so if you are going fast it doesn't work. My experience is mainly climbing sand dunes not running in the sand on a beach. I have to power up the dunes so airing down also helps, if you go lower than 20psi you take a chance of breaking a bead. Hopefully someday I will get the SC, and maybe be able to keep 3rd in LL, got a big hill I want to trash.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Yeah Jeshua I use my locker on anything hard I run both at the same time wayyyy better than hopping around in atrac just waiting to break something. Wow I didn't know you could run it going that fast I get freaked out at 10 MPH:rofl:

Yeah do not attempt a bad hill climb in 3rd:rofl: I found out the hard way! half way up 35 degree hill and engine dies..I have to somehow turn around NO WAY I WAS BACKING DOWN IT luckily the cinders held my tires firm.

Going up this hill right here 100 dollar hill after pulling out that jeep above:rofl: Now ya cant find dunes this big can ya:D

YouTube - 100 dollar hill

YouTube - Tonr riding up 100 dollar

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
You went up that in the FJ??!!!!

On the hard stuff I keep it slow when I have the locker on. :)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
YEp:D no problem and it was stock hehehehe just had to learn the 2 gear RPM thing first!

check out these other ones..they get worse going up suicide hill in a rig is impossible I went up the easier back side

YouTube - Cinders Flagstaff AZ Hill Climb

this is seriously one of the coolest places I have ever been during labor day weekend its like ROAD WARRIOR:rofl:

YouTube - Taco climbing some steep hills

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just got back from Ocracoke week before last.:cheers:

Drove all week on the beach in HL with 6MT. Air the tires down to 18psi.

No problems at all going down the beach or in the ruts on the ramps. Even tried to get stuck in HL to see if I would need to use the atrac or locker. Never had to shift to LL.:clap:

Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man,

You guys are the best. I will let the air out to about 20 and take a big stab at it. I'm pretty stoked.

I'll come back with pics. Thanks a million guys. First thing after I unload all our gear is to hit the South Tip of Ocracoke and watch the sunset!!!

Cheers,
Bobby

·
Registered
55 Posts
Man,

You guys are the best. I will let the air out to about 20 and take a big stab at it. I'm pretty stoked.

I'll come back with pics. Thanks a million guys. First thing after I unload all our gear is to hit the South Tip of Ocracoke and watch the sunset!!!

Cheers,
Bobby

Oh man, do I have some bad news for you. You cannot get to the south tip of Ocracoke:mecry: The Park Service has it all blocked off for the shore birds.

You will only be able to go just past ramp 72.

One other thing, look out for the park rangers. They are definately out in force. We got a written warning for our dogs sleeping under the trucks not being on a leash and had to dump the day's rum punch.:mecry:

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
It all depends on where you are going and how dry it has been. For most of OBX HL is fine. However, if you are going out on Cape Point and it has been very dry the sand will be extremely chewed up and very soft. When I go out on Cape Point in the summer I use 4Low and start out in third gear. I have never been out on the point in the summer and not found at least one person stuck. All the guys I have helped get out did not air down and they were driving in 4H.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts