Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. 2007 FJ, 6MT. Driving on the highway at about 65 mph, downshifted from 6th to 5th to climb a hill and something felt funny in the shifter. Pulled over on a side road to diagnose and realized that the transmission was stuck in gear (feels like 6th) regardless of the position of the shift lever. Made it home with only four starts from a stop - mostly highway driving.

Took a look at it today and found that I couldn't find the reverse position up and to the left. Moving the shifter around feels weird...even when it's supposed to be in neutral it still appears to be 6th when I let out the clutch.

I drained and refilled the transmission. Fluid was a little dark but didn't see any metal debris - just a small amount of gunk stuck to the drain plug.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
980 Posts
You have to pull the stick to see what’s going on to start with. Do you have a fancy short throw adapter on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to pull the stick to see what’s going on to start with. Do you have a fancy short throw adapter on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope, OEM. Had a chance to pull it this evening and found that the bushing on the end was worn and cracked. Looks like that's the problem so I'll pick one up at the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks for the response - much appreciated!

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is possibly a broken shift fork. Are you hard on it? Not trying to be a downer, but I don’t think that bushing is gonna fix it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts