Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2011 NSSE seen here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/introductions-new-arrivals/531570-new-me-nsse.html

Lots of threads about manual vs auto, but not sure I'm finding what I'm looking for.

1. Why is it 6 speeds vs 5 speeds? I've only ever driven 5 speeds, where does the ratio get shorter for the 6 speed?

2. What RPMs are the autos running at ## MPH and when do they tend to shift in either direction?

I will say it seems like first gear on the 6MT is pretty damn low, which I actually like. My issues tend to pop up when i'm doing 50 or 60 MPH and can't decide between 4th/5th/6th. 50mph feels like its between 4th and 5th, 60mph feels like its between 5th and 6th. Also seems like I only really want to shift into 6th at 65mph+ which may lead to me just not using 6th very often even though I do mostly highway driving. I also wonder if hanging out at 2.5-3k RPM is kind of a bit high for this motor even though it doesn't redline until 5.5k or thereabouts.

This truck drives like a brick and has the aerodynamics of a brick, and I'm trying to avoid going over 70mph whenever possible, mostly for MPG, but I want to make sure that I'm using this 6MT transmission efficiently.

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
Be ready, you will get every answer under the sun and then some.

Some will tell you the only way to drive is to rev no higher than 2K and others will tell you to drive it like you stole it.

For me as 6MT owner, I routinely shift between 2,500 and 3,000 rpm. I still get 17-18mpg. I also do my best to not get over 70 mph.
I'd have to go for a drive and check but I *think* I do this:
40-50 mph - 4th
50-60 mph - 5th
60+ 6th
There are time if I am on a long stretch and traffic is flowing I will use 6th from 50mph +.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Am I the only MT guy that feels like FJs drive like diesel trucks because they can shift so low? :grin 6th gear is like an overdrive on older cars. It just keeps the engine at an even lower RPM so fuel mileage is better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Am I the only MT guy that feels like FJs drive like diesel trucks because they can shift so low? :grin 6th gear is like an overdrive on older cars. It just keeps the engine at an even lower RPM so fuel mileage is better.
I recall you saying something about using 6th gear for anything over 35 ( I might be confusing you with another user) I'm probably not going to do anything that extreme. I do kind of get the diesel vibe though, sometimes I think I'm driving a six track or something from WWII. Probably because of the clatter of the motor and the whine of the full time AWD. Army green helps!

I should preface this conversation by saying I only drove five speed mazda proteges, which are obviously smaller, lighter and zippier, in addition to slightly higher revving. I had similar questions about my car, 50 MPH was between 4th and 5th, and anything over 65 the car was pushing 3500 RPM and felt/sounded like it wanted to fly apart.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I shift exactly like mikey above ^

Best part about the way our 6MT's are geared is in LL off-road. You can just crawl along with the speedometer showing "0"

·
Registered
262 Posts
Has anyone with MT loaded the gear ratios into Dash Commander to see what it suggests?

I keep meaning to look up the values and then forget to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2014 MT, I try to keep the rpm around 2000 or lower, unless I'm going up an incline. On a level or downhill slope I'll sometimes skip a gear when upshifting.

30-40 mph - 4th
40-50 mph - 5th
50+ mph - 6th

·
Registered
66 Posts
Like others have said... every 10mph seems to be the best. I do start in 2nd at times and skip around(2nd to 4th etc). It will cruise along at 40mph in 6th but don't try to pass anyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2012 FJ Cruiser advertised as a 5 speed automatic, 64K miles on it. It pulls just under 3,000 rpm at 70mph. I am wondering if it is not shifting into 5th gear, as any Toyota truck I have driven is 2,000 - 2,500 rpm at 70mph. The drive ratios are 3.72 for the automatic transmission. The Ford F250 6.4L that I just blew the turbos on pulled 2,250 rpm at 70mph with 3.73 rear axle ratios, and it was/is a 5spd automatic as well. So what's going on with this FJ turning such high rpms at 70mph? Not shifting into 5th?? I bought it at Autonation Subaru in Spokane, WA last night. I am asking them to look into it, as they have a 5 day, 250 mile no fuss return policy, but I thought I might get quicker , accurate response here on this forum. Thanks. Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am surprised that several on this post “do their best to stay below 70mph”. While it isn’t the greatest for fuel economy, my 2010 6mt gets up into the triple digits pretty easily and corners surprisingly well...3” lift with 33” Dick Cepek extreme country tires winch bumper, winch roof rack, etc. The FJ also accelerates much better than you would expect and can get up close to 60 before shifting into 3rd...leaving surprised drivers in your wake? just to offer that it can be a blast to drive on and off road not just off road.

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 3" lift, american racing rims, homemade t-case shift handle
281 Posts
I am surprised that several on this post “do their best to stay below 70mph”. While it isn’t the greatest for fuel economy, my 2010 6mt gets up into the triple digits pretty easily and corners surprisingly well...3” lift with 33” Dick Cepek extreme country tires winch bumper, winch roof rack, etc. The FJ also accelerates much better than you would expect and can get up close to 60 before shifting into 3rd...leaving surprised drivers in your wake? just to offer that it can be a blast to drive on and off road not just off road.
This ^ lol I have a 6 spd
I drive easy n I drive it like I stole it. I shift by engine sound or what I want it to do. And do the same in my Tundra which is an auto that I have been know to shift manually as well. So really in my humble opinion its all preferance lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have had three FJs: two SunFusions (2007, 2008) and one Quicksand 2014 ALL 6MT. Is there any other way to drive? lol

I have driven other peoples FJ with an auto on and off road. I like how the MT and the transfer case combo gives the driver "more" tactual feedback from the terrain and the degree of traction between the tire and the road - especially in very slippery road conditions like on icy roads. With autos you just don't get that "detailed" AND "immediate" feedback from the tires on the ground. For me, this is very important and why I used 17" rims/tires. This is especially true when you need to closely monitor your accelerator pedal and traction of the vehicle.

One thing I will say is that ALL of my FJs never had any issues passing other vehicles in town or on the highways - at 60-65mph cruising speed I could down-shift to 4th quickly accelerating to 75 before I could look down at my speedo. I believe the engine/transmission/gearing combo was excellently matched for both on-road and off-road. WAY better than the three FJ40s I previously owned.

I have driven over 400,000+ miles over the three FJs since the first one I purchased in 2007. Those miles have covered every kind of road condition you can come across and dream of, some of which I would rate an 11 on a 1 to 10 Sphincter Scale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts