Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to replace my door speakers! I have seen brakets for 6X9's avaliable. Is there a depth limit? Should I be careful what speaker I buy for this reason?

Also what size are people going with for the dash and rear speakers without cutting new holes?

Is it ok to run some better speakers off the stock deck, does it have the power?

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
416 Posts
I like 6x9's for the doors. The door is huge, and the adapter I used was about 3/4" thick. You have plenty of room for new speakers there in almost any size, even 8".

Dash and rear speakers take a 3.5" or 4" speaker without too much modding, however you will need to drill a hole or two to screw the speaker down. The stock brackets are a mess, since they put the crappiest speakers on the planet in there stock.

No, it does not have any power. everything stock sucks monkey anus. I ran the 6x9's and both 4" off the stock deck for a while, then when you change decks you'll crap yourself. It will run them, but it's like having diamonds and setting them in copper. it's an insult to the new speakers! :rofl:

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I'm assuming I'd be alright hooking up an amp with line-level inputs to the stock deck and running my aftermarket 6x9s on it? Don't really have the money for a new deck, and the speakers I want need an amp wither way. Also, saw someone fit 3.5" in front and 4" in D-Pillar without modding. Would 4" have fit up front, did the factory grille covers fit back on (looks completely stock still), and what speakers were they?

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I'm assuming I'd be alright hooking up an amp with line-level inputs to the stock deck and running my aftermarket 6x9s on it? Don't really have the money for a new deck, and the speakers I want need an amp wither way. Also, saw someone fit 3.5" in front and 4" in D-Pillar without modding. Would 4" have fit up front, did the factory grille covers fit back on (looks completely stock still), and what speakers were they?
I think 4" would be a bit too big for the dash. My 3.5" fit in the dash without modification. I don't know what kind of outputs the factory radio has, but a deck with preouts isn't expensive these days anyway. If your FJ didn't come equipped with the rear D-Pillar speakers, you'll have to figure out a way to mount them. I just drilled a few screws in there and it works great. Order the plug adapters for the back and the doors from Crutchfield and it will be a lot easier. Any other questions let me know! =)

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I think 4" would be a bit too big for the dash. My 3.5" fit in the dash without modification. I don't know what kind of outputs the factory radio has, but a deck with preouts isn't expensive these days anyway. If your FJ didn't come equipped with the rear D-Pillar speakers, you'll have to figure out a way to mount them. I just drilled a few screws in there and it works great. Order the plug adapters for the back and the doors from Crutchfield and it will be a lot easier. Any other questions let me know! =)
I have the rear pillar speakers, so that shouldn't be an issue. I know the stock deck just has simple line-level outs. I know I could get a deck for cheap, but when I do get a new one I want a nice one :)

See you used infinities, what alpine amp did you use and how did you wire the speakers? Also, did you use 6.5" coax or component speakers in back, and how hard was it to mod the panels and run the wiring for the speakers back there?

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I have the rear pillar speakers, so that shouldn't be an issue. I know the stock deck just has simple line-level outs. I know I could get a deck for cheap, but when I do get a new one I want a nice one :)

See you used infinities, what alpine amp did you use and did you wire the dash and door speakers into the amp together? Also, did you use 6.5" coax or component speakers in back, and how hard was it to mod the panels and run the wiring for the speakers back there?
I'm using an Alpine 4-Channel (MRP-F450) to the 6x9's and 6.5"s. Wicked CAS (supporting vendor) offers the panels for that mod. Make sure you wire directly from the deck to the dash, otherwise you're gonna be pushing way too much power to the dash. When I originally installed the 4 channel I didn't realize that the doors and dash are wired together in the harness and you have to separate them. I did coax speakers all around because the infinity Kappas have their own crossovers for every speaker and it really balances out. Also using the Rockford 325.1 with a DVC P2. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I'm using an Alpine 4-Channel (MRP-F450) to the 6x9's and 6.5"s. Wicked CAS (supporting vendor) offers the panels for that mod. Make sure you wire directly from the deck to the dash, otherwise you're gonna be pushing way too much power to the dash. When I originally installed the 4 channel I didn't realize that the doors and dash are wired together in the harness and you have to separate them. I did coax speakers all around because the infinity Kappas have their own crossovers for every speaker and it really balances out. Also using the Rockford 325.1 with a DVC P2. I'm very happy with it.
Yeah I've been looking at the MRP-F550 for some extra power. Looked at those panels, do the current panels pop, or do you have to cut them out? I have been looking at the Alpine serries R speakers, but they don't have crossovers. Doesn't the amp have a built-in crossover? And do the speaker crossovers make that much of a difference?

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Yeah I've been looking at the MRP-F550 for some extra power. Looked at those panels, do the current panels pop, or do you have to cut them out? I have been looking at the Alpine serries R speakers, but they don't have crossovers. Doesn't the amp have a built-in crossover? And do the speaker crossovers make that much of a difference?
The panels fit in there nicely but you still have to drill into them to mount them and run your speaker wires obviously. The speaker crossovers are nice because you get a lot less distortion. The amplifier, although it does have a crossover, can't possibly take into account every speaker and every frequency they can handle, that's why I went with the Kappa's. I have had Type-R's in my S10 and they screamed!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The panels fit in there nicely but you still have to drill into them to mount them and run your speaker wires obviously.
So how are those PODs any different than just drilling my own 6 1/2" hole in the current panel? Also, did you go with the 2 way or 3 way speakers? I was thinking 2 way, just wondering if you had any experience with the 3 way.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
So how are those PODs any different than just drilling my own 6 1/2" hole in the current panel? Also, did you go with the 2 way or 3 way speakers? I was thinking 2 way, just wondering if you had any experience with the 3 way.
If you're brave enough to make that big of a hole in your panel, have at it! =) I like the idea of small holes, lol. Wicked C.A.S. and many customers who have bought the PODS do claim that the amount of airspace that the POD creates is conducive to good acoustics, and sounds a lot better.

In terms of 2 way vs 3 way, it depends on how much you want to spend, and how you like your music to sound. 3 way speakers are going to be clearer and crisper, and will general be your nicer speaker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts