Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

7-20-10 Moab Day Long Safari

10K views 100 replies 21 participants last post by  FJCoastie 
#1 · (Edited)
GREAT RUN! Trail reports and pictures begin on page 9 post #84

CLICK HERE to go straight there.

UPDATE - 6/26: (*-these trails have been reversed based on good advice from multiple sources to this order: Gemini Bridges THEN Long Canyon)
Also, I will be traveling with my SPOT Tracker and can provide any interested party a link that will enable the poor schmucks who missed out on this trip to watch our progress through the Utah wild in near realtime on Google Maps. It updates our position every ten minutes or so. Just PM me and I will send you the link. It is viewable immediately, however it will not start posting our progess until the morning of the 20th. Ain't technology grand!

UPDATE - 7/10: Forget PMing me, why don't I just post the link here? Good question! Here it is...
SPOT "Moab Day Long Safari" Shared Page
Enjoy watching from the relative safety of your home as we enjoy some of the most striking panaramas in this great nation of ours from the relative safety of our beloved FJs.

Come join us for a day long safari through the Utah wilds​

With all the folks who will be in the Moab area just before the Summit, my wife and I decided to plan a BIG, LONG, SCENIC trip through some great terrain.

Here is the plan. Meet at the City Market at 8:00am with a FULL tank of gas and at LEAST a gallon of water for every person in your truck. Lunch will be on the trail, so bring some eats. We'll head north out of town at 8:30am and follow the Colorado River along RT279.

*First trail: Gemini Bridges. Starting at the US191 entrance we will go south then west to RT313.

*Second trail: Long Canyon. We will be starting at the RT313 entrance and going east to Jug Handle Arch and RT279.

We will then drive along the Colorado River on RT279 turning east on RT128 for the scenic pavement drive to...

Third trail: Onion Creek. Heading east off the highway we'll pass Fisher Towers and follow the creek. Lunch will be along the way at a random scenic spot.

Forth trail: Rose Garden Hill. Turning north and up the hill to the top of the mesa. This may well be the hardest part of the journey, (though still fairly mild compared to some other trails in the Moab area). But it's important to complete this leg to get set up for the final trail.

Fifth trail: Top of the World. For the finale we will turn south again and head down to the magnificent view of TOTW. The idea is to get here in time to chat about the day's trails and watch an astonishing Utah high desert sunset. We will NOT be starting where the map below has it's 'START' point, but rather at the parking area for the Kokopeli bike trail at the point marked '02'.

Depart after dark and head back into Moab. This should give all you play'as a chance to use those nifty lights you've been sticking all over your rig!:bigthumb:

What then? Can anyone say 'Moab Brewery'?:rocker:

Confirmed Attendies:
Apexbasher
drcaduceus
DallasFJ
baja mike
bc_indiana
linnfj
fjrohrs
Johne
El Tejon
j0enickel
(your name here)

Possibly/Maybe:
colorado mainiac

See less See more
#4 ·
Matt, based on "the book" how many hours will that take ? Is it gonna be a total "haul-ass" trip which leaves no time for enjoying the surroundings or taking any pics ?

When we did the Kokopelli Trail in May 09, we camped at the Dewey Bridge campsite by the highway and ended the day at the bottom of Rose Garden Hill. Sure we could've started the day earlier and spent less time at the Top of the World but it was still a decent day.

#6 ·
Re: 7-21-10 Moab Day Long Safari

It's a long day, yes, but totally doable, even with a light sprinkling of stops for photos and such. Whilst reading "the book" remember that the author's time line for TOTW is based on doing a round trip, while we will be combining three of the trails into one loop. So time becomes less of an issue.

This will be a fun/safe ride for all levels of experience and build.

#5 ·
ACK!! I put the wrong danged date in the thread title!!! This run is to be done on the 20th (Tuesday). Can I get a MOD to mod that?

#9 ·
:bump:

#20 ·
Hey I had shot you a pm not sure if you saw it. Could I get penciled in as a maybe. I've got a a school schedule that should solidify shortly but that looks like a very interesting trip.

Mike

#13 ·
Stockers will do just fine for this. So don't be shy, the day will be great!

#14 ·
I would like to get in on this run.

Will it be a problem if I don't have extra lights on the FJ, or will there be enough ambiant light from the others that I will see enough of the trail for the ride into town? Current mods are listed below.

:cheers:

#15 ·
Extra lighting is absolutely NOT required. I just mentioned it because many people have extra and few opportunities to put them to good use.

Shall I put you down as a definate or a maybe?

#19 ·
No worries. Your stock rig is fine for this. There will be some places to challenge you, but well within the capabilities of your FJ. Want me to add you to the list?

Put me in as a definate maybe....
Done
Were is everyone staying in Moab? I'm guessing we'll be staying in Moab the evening of the 19th and the 20th correct?
Yes, I'd recommend staying in town the 19th and 20th. You'll be pretty tuckered out by the end of this run and you won't want to be traveling that night.

I might be a maybe also, My campsite becomes available on the 20th @ Ouray, doing anything on the 19th?
I put you down as a maybe. I'll be kicking around Arches a bit that afternoon (want to go find those dinosaur tracks again).

#17 ·
Put me in as a definate maybe....

Were is everyone staying in Moab? I'm guessing we'll be staying in Moab the evening of the 19th and the 20th correct?

Rick

#22 ·
Sounds like a fun trip....be prepared for the heat, Moab can get a bit toasty in July!

Not to hijack your plans but I would suggest starting at the beginning with Gemini Bridges that way you can come back down the Long Canyon trail. Long Canyon has better views(imo) with the LaSals and fins in the background while driving down it, instead of up it.

There is also Bull Canyon, just off the trail on the way to Gemini Bridges, it is a great little spur(sand hills/trails) that is maybe 30 minutes. It ends underneath Gemini Bridges, pretty cool to look up at the bridges, then go up to the top and look down at where you just were. Just a couple ideas.

-Devin

#35 ·
As one who has also run Gemini, Bulls Canyon, and Long Canyon, I would also highly recommend to run these in the opposite direction as Devin suggests as well. Then once you get to the bottom of Long Canyon you can drive back along the river to get over to the Onion Creek trailhead.

I'm tempted to come on down for this, but that Moab heat is pretty brutal in July. :jester:

#24 ·
Done. See you there.

#27 ·
Done. Hope you can make it. Keep us posted.

You're gonna have your own little Cruise Moab on your hands. You may want to divide into a couple groups if all the "tentatives" show up.
We'll see. It's an option, for sure. I'm going to try and avoid it though.

#26 ·
You're gonna have your own little Cruise Moab on your hands. You may want to divide into a couple groups if all the "tentatives" show up.

#29 ·
Any updates for the folks on the Maybe/Possibly list?

#30 ·
Put me on the attending list. I don't have my whole Moab schedule down yet, but I will be there for this.

If anything changes I will PM you. We may want to pass around some contact info when it gets a little closer to the Summit. That way if anyone has any trouble or trip plans change they can inform the group in the field.

I am really looking forward to this and meeting all you guys. Thanks for hosting/leading the tour Apexbasher.:clap:

#31 ·
I'm out. I will have class on Tuesday and I am way to close to graduating

One day I'll get out there.

I'll be watching for the beautiful pictures from there.

Mike

#39 ·
Sorry I can't make it this year.

I see you are still trying to make it to the Top of the World!!!:rocker:

Let me know if you make it!!

#40 ·
I made an update to the original post. Please read below...

Apexbasher said:
UPDATE - 6/26: (*-these trails have been reversed based on good advice from multiple sources to this order: Gemini Bridges THEN Long Canyon)
Also, I will be traveling with my SPOT Tracker and can provide any interested party a link that will enable the poor schmucks who missed out on this trip to watch our progress through the Utah wild in near realtime on Google Maps. It updates our position every ten minutes or so. Just PM me and I will send you the link. It is viewable immediately, however it will not start posting our progess until the morning of the 20th. Ain't technology grand!

#41 ·
Any updates on attendees?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.