Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
thx for that info..hows the reception on it? clarity of screen?
This setup is available on eBay for $70-75. It carries the PEAK brand name, like the anti-freeze. Same monitor. I've been working on installing mine. The monitor will mount right above the rear-view mirror:

bracket I made out of 3/4" wide alluminum that I found laying around. With modified base that came with monitor

mounted behind rearview mirror using same holes and hardware

Monitor in place, I'll be doing some adjusting to lower it maybe 1/4" and angle it up just a bit

I fished the wires above the headliner to the A-pillar then down.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
For anyone considering this, please remember that the image is reversed. Some monitors have an option in the menu mode to reverse the image.
Good point. But on this model the image can be reversed and inverted. It has adjustable brightnes and contrast too.

The only thing I've noticed on mine is that the little plastic buttons rattle. Just enough for me to hear. I didn't like it so I put a piece of transparent tape over them.

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
The only thing I've noticed on mine is that the little plastic buttons rattle. Just enough for me to hear. I didn't like it so I put a piece of transparent tape over them.
Glad to know it wasn't just me. While riding around with ya at Summit it was driving me crazy. J/K, never noticed it or maybe you already put the tape on. Sweet setup indeed Brian.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
thx for that info..hows the reception on it? clarity of screen?
Reception is not an issue. Final installation has the transmitter mounted on the ledge of the rear door(clear line of sight and only about 8-9 feet away). When I was testing it, I had the whole thing outside the vehicle laying on the ground with the back door closed and the picture was still clear. Clarity is also fine. Don't have anything to compare it to really, but no complaints. The sun was just above the camera view when I took the picture, so you can see it streaking and washing the picture out a bit at the top. Still decent though.

I went with the license plate mounting location for simplicity. You do lose a little on the drivers side because it's offset, but nothing that isn't visible in the side mirror.

One miscalculation on my part, when the wires are connected to the monitor, they stick out far enough to prevent the passenger's sun visor from folding down. I drive alone 95% of the time, so I'll deal with it. If I get bored enough sometime, I'll see if I can get right angle connectors and splice them on instead.

Heres my finished install:

I bought a right angle A/V cable on ebay and was able to find a right angle power connector at a local electronics store and splice it on. As you can see, the passenger sun visor can pass by the connectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts

·
RIP Tim
885 Posts
Bought two of these yesterday at Sam's (may or may not be available in-store in your town, and not offered online, btw). $99 each.
I'm installing one on my FJ and one on the grrlfiend's Tacoma (has a camper shell and she has a hard time seeing around it):

(Found an image of the package on ebay)

You can also use these for video playback from an iPod or similar device (has an AV input). The things I like about this camera
are the huge screen, plus it has straps to allow you to install it on the visor. So, wanna see behind you, flip down the visor, and voila.
Flip it back up when not needed, and it doesn't get in the way.

I haven't installed it yet, but will install a micro switch that's easily accessible, so I can turn it on at will, instead of just when the reverse lights activate.
Also, will have to route the 12V power connection down the A-pillar and under the dash, to tap into the ignition circuit (to do away with the cigarette lighter adapter).

Also, for those of you looking for round speaker templates for the 6 x 9 speaker holes in your doors, found these this morning on walmart.com for $9.88:

Walmart.com: Scosche Convertible 6" x 9" Speaker Adapter: Auto Electronics
could you use it as a moniter i wonder for other uses GPs ect.... thats seems like a great price

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
could you use it as a moniter i wonder for other uses GPs ect.... thats seems like a great price
The auxiliary video input on it is a headphone style connection, and it comes with a cable(6' i think) that plugs in there and on the other end has 2 RCA style connectors, one for video and one for audio. So basically, you can use whatever video source you want as long as you can get it to an RCA style plug.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Durability and Customer Service update.

I realized a month or 2 ago that my backup camera wasn't working anymore. When I started the truck, the monitor would power up, then go into standby mode(blue light blinking). But nothing would happen when in reverse. Checked and made sure the transmitter was getting voltage when in reverse and it was. I suspect the culprit was my me. I installed a switch to power the camera up manually at any time, and I probably forgot to turn it off. It's an always on power source and I drive a company vehicle for work so the FJ sits for a week at a time.

I sent an e-mail and was given a 1-800 number to call. The only problem I had was the number is only answered M-F 8a-5p, which is when I'm am at work. I went home early one day last week due to a cold and took the opportunity to call. The guy was very friendly and helpful and the issue was resolved quickly. He decided the transmitter was bad, took my name and address and said they'd send me a new one. Simple as that.

Once it arrives, I'll do the swap and then I'll be able to see if the camera burned out too.

Very happy with their service and support.

UPDATE: There was nothing wrong with the system. Turns out the monitor was just on the A/V input. It doesn't automatically switch back to the camera view when the camera signal turns on.
UPDATE 2.0: Found a setting in the monitor's menu to make it automatically switch to the camera view when it comes on.
UPDATE 7/28/11: System continues to perform terrifically. No issues after 2 salty winters, just have to clean the lens often. It's a great system, but doesn't appear to be available anymore.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I'm interested in a back-up camera. However, I couldn't find either of these kits anywhere. Can someone recommend a kit similar to these written about here. I like the idea of a 7-inch screen that I can mount near the glove box. Most of the kits I discovered did not have a flat screen and were mounted on a swivel base.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts