Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FJ uses these 7 spline lug nuts and the tool they provide is questionable to say the least. It fits into a 22mm socket, but I’d rather have this 7 spline pattern in a dedicated 1/2” drive socket. I’ve looked around the net and I can only find this typical generic tool. Seems risky to have to have multiple sockets to do a simple task like removing a lug nut. Plus, the tool is light weight and feels like it could probably break.

Does anybody have experience with these lugs and know where I can find a better socket with a 1/2” drive or is it time to ditch them for something else?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes, I have experience with 7-spline lugs!

I broke my socket one Sunday (with a hand tool, no less)! I spent the rest of the day driving around town (in a buddy's car) hitting up auto parts stores to see if anyone had one in stock. By the end of the day - maybe 30 minutes 'till sundown - I finally found a place that had one in stock. Mine also has the stupid SAE/Metric combo hex-end that gives you a poor fit to both sockets.

I hate the things... but my wheels' lugnut holes are very small. Totally recommend getting a standard (or metric; ha ha)-sized set of lug nuts so you can just use a regular hex socket.

I haven't pursued that 'cause I haven't had to take a wheel off recently so the hate and frustration isn't fresh.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I use American-made spline lugs similar to those shown in your photos, along with the matching American-made spline wrench. The counterbores in my Method wheels don't have enough clearance to allow the use of "standard" acorn-style lug nuts and a deep socket without scuffing the anodized finish. The spline wrench has plenty of clearance, and does NOT have the "dual hex head".

Granted the special spline wrench is very thin-walled, but I have never had any problems with it. NEVER allow anyone to use a pneumatic impact wrench to remove OR install these lug nuts, ONLY a breaker bar to loosen, and a clicker torque wrench to tighten.

If you have your tires rotated at a tire shop, MAKE SURE the "no air impact" requirement is clearly written on the front of the work order, and WATCH as the tire techs work on your vehicle. They will habitually reach for the air impact as soon as your vehicle is on the lift.

As a backup, I keep a second brand-new spline wrench in the vehicle "just in case".

I would be cautious of imported spline lug nuts and especially of the metallurgy of their thin-wall spline wrench.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I have experience with 7-spline lugs!

I broke my socket one Sunday (with a hand tool, no less)! I spent the rest of the day driving around town (in a buddy's car) hitting up auto parts stores to see if anyone had one in stock. By the end of the day - maybe 30 minutes 'till sundown - I finally found a place that had one in stock. Mine also has the stupid SAE/Metric combo hex-end that gives you a poor fit to both sockets.

I hate the things... but my wheels' lugnut holes are very small. Totally recommend getting a standard (or metric; ha ha)-sized set of lug nuts so you can just use a regular hex socket.

I haven't pursued that 'cause I haven't had to take a wheel off recently so the hate and frustration isn't fresh.
Exactly what I was worried about. I think I’ve found an alternate lug nut that will fit my rims and uses a hex head. I’m running Raceline beadlocks, which will not allow the normal acorn style. This is what I have found so far, I just need to measure my existing lugs to make sure they are a direct swap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts