Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my ol mam emu HD lift to Prestige Toyota in Billings Montana and they quoted me $700 to install the lift. From my understanding the going rate to install this lift is around 300. The funny part is that they charge that much for their revtec spacer lift also. I guess I'll have to wait till the 4th when I'll have access to a garage and install it myself.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
WOW!!! For that kinda $$$ I'd do the install my self and buy a set of skids with the savings. Put a thread up and ask for members to help you, I bet if you have some good food and drinks you'll get a few guys out.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I took my ol mam emu HD lift to Prestige Toyota in Billings Montana and they quoted me $700 to install the lift. From my understanding the going rate to install this lift is around 300. The funny part is that they charge that much for their revtec spacer lift also. I guess I'll have to wait till the 4th when I'll have access to a garage and install it myself.
Doing it yourself will also get you up close and personal with your rig. It will get you more familiar with the workings of your suspension system and therefore give you far more information when trying to deal with problems you may run into on the trail down the line. The $$ you save can also buy you tools and extra parts for the trail as well.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
With two people you can do it in less than 2 hours, if you know what you are doing. If its the first time you've done this sort of thing add another hour. Having a garage lift is a real time saver, but you can do it with floor jacks too.

$700 is ridiculous. Those guys could get it done in less than 1.5hours if they really tried, which works out to $466/hour for labor.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Yup, you havn't been around long. no matter where you live in the world there are more FJ family that are happy to meet ya and help on the install. for someone who never touched a wrench before it should take them 3 hours tops. for an experienced old salt it might take a little over an hour. dont wory about quality or doiung it wrong, it's as simple as changing a tire, just more peices. if you were closer My going rate is pizza and beer. I have no doubt someone will offer their help for ya.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Post up where you are located and i am sure there is a member near you that if you buy some beer and grill him up some steak will come over and help you do it. Save you a lot of money, learn about the rig, and make a friend.
That is a much better deal than a 700 dollar less bank account. (you may need to buy jack stands if the person helping doesn't have them.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I work in operations at a refinery so I'm a somewhat mechanically inclined, the install itself doesn't really concern me. I was surprised though how much they were charging for the install. After hearing that quote I'm definately going to have to borrow my parents garage over 4th and do it myself.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I work in operations at a refinery so I'm a somewhat mechanically inclined, the install itself doesn't really concern me. I was surprised though how much they were charging for the install. After hearing that quote I'm definately going to have to borrow my parents garage over 4th and do it myself.
Good call. The only thing you need that i am guessing your folks don't have in their garage is a spring compressor. You can rent or buy some of the ones that attach to the spring and you tighten down. I took mine to an auto shop and had them do it. (if you go this route, make sure you note the orientation the spring has to be in. as in the bolt hole for the lower part of the strut).

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Put up a sign near the dealership to do them for $600/alignment included and make some extra cash on the weekends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.