81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
they limit to around 225-250 vehicles.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
We had around 275 vehicles last year including sponsors. Two big factors restrict the size of the event, trail leader volunteer and trail congestion. Without trail leaders we can not sent groups out on trail runs. Our relationship with the forestry service is critical to the event happening. When the trails get too congested they get complaints about us and thats not good. If you want the event to grow then please volunteer to trail lead and we will do what we can to keep the congestion on the trails controlled.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,850 Posts
If I had more experiencing on the trails I'm registered for then I'd volunteer! I guess on my weekends I'm going to have to run those trails till they're memorized :bigthumb:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
If I had more experiencing on the trails I'm registered for then I'd volunteer! I guess on my weekends I'm going to have to run those trails till they're memorized :bigthumb:
You don't need to memorize them completely. Even some of the more experienced ones of us in the bunch that have been driving these trails for many years don't necessarily have them all 'memorized'.

One important thing to keep in mind (this is for new people that are considering trail leading, as well as for those that are being lead) is that a 'Trail Leader' is not necessarily a 'Tour Guide', and shouldn't be expected to be one.

Whenever a trail leader happens to know this or that little piece of mining, or Native American, or natural history, or whatever, it's cool when they are able to share that with the people on the trail run. I don't know everything out there (and my specialty is in paleontology and some geology, so I miss some of the old mining points, etc), but I share what seems appropriate, and I always ask others to chime in at any time if they have something to share as well.

However, again, it is not expected that the trail leader must also be a tour guide. The trail leader is there for leading the group safely from point A to point B, and for being as accommodating to the needs and wants of the group as possible (unscheduled or unexpected potty and photo stops, etc) while still keeping the group going at a reasonable pace so as to get through the entire trail run in an appropriate amount of time (of course, what's reasonable and appropriate for the various trail runs are somewhat subjective here, but this year, I think they are finally getting around to establishing some level of expectations in this area. Nothing strict, but a general guideline of how long a given trail run should take would be helpful all-around so that everyone involved has a good idea what to expect for their trip out for the day).

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,850 Posts
I wish that on the who's coming page where it shows the map and the little tags as to where people are from that you could select a tag and a forum ID would pop up or a name or something!

However, then those identity thieves out there would be able to find your info easier!

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I wish that on the who's coming page where it shows the map and the little tags as to where people are from that you could select a tag and a forum ID would pop up or a name or something!

However, then those identity thieves out there would be able to find your info easier!
X2

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
I don't know if that's even an option but even if it were, I am guessing the current setup would be kept only because it offers some semblance of privacy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know if that's even an option but even if it were, I am guessing the current setup would be kept only because it offers some semblance of privacy.
Exactly right -- The FJ Summit really does take the privacy policy that we have in place seriously. If someone chooses to post here and publicly announce their Summit plans, that's great, but we don't feel like we as the FJ Summit have the right to make anyone's decision to come to the event public information.

It's the same reason we only map to the zip codes of people who registered rather than letting you zoom in to see your house. We don't want those really shady people 2 blocks down your street to know that your house will be empty for a week in July!

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Exactly right -- The FJ Summit really does take the privacy policy that we have in place seriously. If someone chooses to post here and publicly announce their Summit plans, that's great, but we don't feel like we as the FJ Summit have the right to make anyone's decision to come to the event public information.

It's the same reason we only map to the zip codes of people who registered rather than letting you zoom in to see your house. We don't want those really shady people 2 blocks down your street to know that your house will be empty for a week in July!
Exactly what I was thinking. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts

81 - 92 of 92 Posts