Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the 8.2" rear third member that comes with the 2010+ FJ can be directly swapped into a 2007-2009 rear end (which has an 8.0" rear)?

Or, are there differences to that axle housing as well and not just to the third members.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
I don't think it will fit the earlier model year. Since Toyota has changed all the dimensions. But I could be wrong.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Funny, I had pondered this too... I don't see that Toyota would have changed the points on the chassis to fit the new axle. No reason for them to. If I could find a used 8.2 local, I'd rip the rear a part real quick to see though!

<edit>

Was too early and I was still sleeping... Missed you were asking just about the third. That I CAN see being different. But who knows? Figure Chase at ECG would be the people to ask about that.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Does anyone know if the 8.2" rear third member that comes with the 2010+ FJ can be directly swapped into a 2007-2009 rear end (which has an 8.0" rear)?

Or, are there differences to that axle housing as well and not just to the third members.
If the bolt pattern for the third member has the stayed the same then more than likely yes. The only thing I would look out for is the ring gear clearance on the axle housing.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Both the carrier gasket and axle housing are the same price for 2012 and 2007 but I haven't found a site with the actual part numbers so I can cross reference.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I hear you have to swap the entire 3rd member. I think I read that in a Taco forum or the TTORA forum.

After my diff failure Saturday, I am going to get the new heavy duty nitro gear ring and pinion in the O.E. 3.73 ratio for my rig. They are forged, heat treated, lapped for perfect matching, and high grade 8620 steel. Ordering mine today!

http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4205

I am in no way affiliated with Nitro or just differentials.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Found the following at Village Toyota, they sync up with parts search at TOD site.
07-09 Carrier Gasket
4218160130 with locker
4218160120 without

still trying to verify 2010+ part numbers
there is a listing for gaskets ending in 40 and 50 so the 8.2 may not bolt up

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
[email protected] just sent me a PM asking if I still needed to know the answer to this. Funny thing is I'd asked way back when and they just opened it. Guess we will see. Since they asked if I still needed an answer to the question, my reply was obvious. I'd originally meant to ask Chase at ECG so I sent that over to him too.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes that would be the idea, not just going to a bigger ring gear but the whole 3rd. There were a few things changed with the 8.2 besides just the ring gear size, bigger bearings, more bolts for the ring gear, and a few other items.

What i am suggesting is replacing the 8" with an 8.2" for a stronger rear end that is essentially "bolt on". ECGS might have the new thirds you could buy and send your core back to them.

I don't have an FJ i am just curious for curiosity sake :)

I hear you have to swap the entire 3rd member. I think I read that in a Taco forum or the TTORA forum.

After my diff failure Saturday, I am going to get the new heavy duty nitro gear ring and pinion in the O.E. 3.73 ratio for my rig. They are forged, heat treated, lapped for perfect matching, and high grade 8620 steel. Ordering mine today!

Toyota FJ CRUISER, TACOMA, 4RUNNER, 8 REAR, 3.73 Ring Pinion Nitro Gear [TV6-373-29-NG] - $299.99 : JTs Parts & Accessories, Justdifferentials.com

I am in no way affiliated with Nitro or just differentials.

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
Searched for the previous thead I had seen about this elsewhere, but can't find it.
Don't think any resolution was ever posted.

If the pn's for the 07-09 and 10+ axle housings are different it's likely a tale tell sign. I'm sure some machine work could make an 07-09 suitable for a 10+ third...but eventually you might want to cut your losses somewhere and go with a better axle and third all together.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I don't see why this would not work. The Tacoma non e-locker 05+ axles are an 8.4 axle housing. A buddy of mine that has a Tacoma swapped out his factory e-locker housing with a 8.4 non-elocker and put in an ARB. Works great and has more confidence in the rear end since it is now a bit larger than before. You gotta try something else when you're on your 3rd or 4th rear end.
By the way I am on my 4th now with 4:56 gears!!!:cowfrown:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Has anyone heard anything more about this swap? My rear end has been making a grinding noise for the past 2 months now :/
A complete 8.2 rear is a direct bolt in for an 8.0 but you cant just put an 8.2 drop-out in a 8" rear housing. The axles are the same but the housings are different ( I believe this is because of The bolt pattern for the drop-out rather than ring gear interference). I show the drivelines as interchangeable as well.
All this is from my Pinnacle / hollander software.
I dont know from personal experience. When i bent my 8.2 housing i installed a Dana 60.

510 Posts
Toyota 8.2" Replacement Upgrade Click Here
Nitro Rear Axle Housing

Fits:
07-09 Toyota FJ Cruiser
03-09 Toyota 4Runner
03-09 Lexus GX470
02-09 Prado 120

Differential: Toyota 8.2"
Gear Ratio: All Ratios
Manufacturer: Nitro
Warranty: 1 Year

Tech Note:
Requires housing stud, nuts & seal kit NPHTFJC-KIT.
Optional Chromoly axles available AXT60240.

The 2009 & Older FJ Cruisers, 4runners, and Prado 120 utilize the 8” which dates back to 1979, and was originally used in 3000 lb mini trucks with 80 Horsepower and 27” tires. Late model modified Toyotas such as FJ Cruiser run at double the weight, triple the horsepower, and much larger tires to top it off. For this reason there have been lots of failures, enough so that Toyota upgraded the rear to the 8.2” on the 2010 & Newer models. It may seem like a small upgrade but there are significant improvements such as beefier casting, larger bearings, larger pinion diameter, larger ring gear diameter, more tooth contact, and a beefier 12 bolt diff case. This makes for an easy swap for your vehicle and will utilize your existing axle shafts and brakes. This is for an empty axle housing. It will also require a 3rd Member, Housing studs, nuts, axle seals (all of which we offer).

We have also seen a lot of failures on 09 & older FJ cruisers and offer this upgraded rearend package click here

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,863 Posts
So the answer to the old original question is NO...Must buy the housing.. though the axles and brakes will swap....I am a tad leary on that unless it has been done? I know the 10+ rotors are not interchangeable to the 07-09, but I think the calipers are...not sure what piece makes this different.

510 Posts
No need to be leary, we have done this numerous times. As you see in the link there is detailed info.

So the answer to the old original question is NO...Must buy the housing.. though the axles and brakes will swap....I am a tad leary on that unless it has been done? I know the 10+ rotors are not interchangeable to the 07-09, but I think the calipers are...not sure what piece makes this different.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts