· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THUBUB
DUSTPARK
SCOTTY
FJROD
& UPHILL

Made the run from Deep Creek/Dishpan Springs and up Holcom Creek Trail in the San Bernardino Mountains between Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear Lake today. These are a few of the picts.

The Line-Up

It wasn't just a bunch of ugly guys - we brought pretty women along.

A lot of Titanium (THUBUB, UPHILL & DUSTPARK)

FJROD showing what his rig will do with front lockers.

UPHILL Jr. -- the youngest commander

SCOTTY shows us how it's done.

The Waterfall.

UPHILL: There is no line! (The Waterfall)

UPHILL'S Scorpion Climbs the Waterfall.

DUSTPARK in the rocks on the waterfall.

DUSTPARK High-centered.

Traffic Jam on Holcom Creek Trail.

FJROD - Scuba Driver - fords Holcom Creek.

Damage/carnage: Scraped skids and sliders (EVERYONE)
Broken bolt: Front Sway Bar DUSTPARK
Tire Stem Damage - UPHILL

Thanks to all who participated. It was a REAL blast!

Thanks especially to THUBUB for his trail leadership, to DUSTPARK for find the right line for the rest of us, to FJROD for showing us what front lockers can do (making it look way too easy), to SCOTTY for his trail acumen and all around help. I will officially remove my Jeep Recovery Vehicle sticker in his honor!

· Registered
191 Posts
Uphill, thanks for the kind words. So wat did we learn today class. 1) front lockers rock!!. 2) FJ's are way underrated as crawlers, ask the dozen or so dirt bikers, " are you going up that in that!!!" was heard several times today. 3) front lockers are awesome. 4) a small talented group can get a long way in one day! 5) Winches are more than bumper bling. 6) H1's are ****ing BIG.
7) Nothing tastes better with silt than fried chicken ( thanks FJRod) 8) The next trip can't get here fast enough.

Thanks again to Uphill, Dustpark, FJRod, And my fellow clubbie Scott. We came, we saw ( we are going up that!!!) and we checked off two great trails.
Till next time guys and gals Thubub

Reactions: uphill

· Registered
232 Posts
ahh working on a video stay tuned...Azusa tomorrow bro?

Reactions: uphill

· Registered
191 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
you gotta stay up to watch this

· Registered
461 Posts
I am jealous!

Almost had my skids in time to make this, (well also had to go to a birthday party) but couldn't get them mounted anyway due to stubborn bolt.

I will be there next time!!

· Registered
232 Posts
ok it uploading now stay tuned...uphill I saved you from being a MACHO MAN!

· Premium Member
19,414 Posts
woots, bad to bone guys. Poor Dishpan, no chance vs. the FJs :D.

· Registered
2,554 Posts
nice looks like a lot of fun, but challenging, im heading out to azusa tmrw too see you guys there

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tender moments from the Dishpan/Deep Creek/Holcom Creek Run--

THUBUB is right. Every two-wheeler who saw us stopped and said, "You're going up THAT? Oh, I've got to see this. And ...they did. The FJ's performed remarkably.

THUBUB is smiling because he's not at the bottom any more and is now spotting!

FJROD: Take the line right over where I'm standing and... everything should be fine... really... (whisper to MRS THUBUB) "get a photo of this, I don't think he'll make it."

DUSTPARK'S All Pro rig threading the needle -- cause going over the rocks in this case would be a bad thing.

MRS THUBUB -- That sign says, "Abandon Hope All Yee Who Enter Here"... what does that really mean?

DUSTPARK -- No problem UPHILL, just drive your rig over this four foot boulder, up the 70 degree slope, bounce up, turn left, turn right hard, kick it and everything might work out.

DUSTPARK -- Let me show you what I mean about kicking it!:bananahump-slvrathl

UPHILL -- Sweet going now, but the only easy day was yesterday.

· Emeritus Moderator
7,444 Posts
Wow, it looks like it was alot of fun, wish I was there :)

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SHADOW, you'd like the large and diverse group of FJ'ers we have here in SOCAL. It really is a lot of fun. And of course you're welcome do join us (but we know it's a long drive).

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All joking aside:
(a) I don't think an H-2 could make it no matter how much armor you put on it but it would be very interesting to see one try. Maybe I'd have to eat my words.
(b) An H-1? Absolutely, but the vehicle width means you'd put some damage on your $150,000+ vehicle.
(c) an H-3 stock? No A built H-3, I think they could but I have never seen an H-3 in a situation like this one.
(d) Jeep CJ/YJ,Rubicon etc? Oh, Yeah! On rocks, front lockers really tell the tale. The FJ's IFS has many other advantages for road handling, etc. I bought an FJ, not a Jeep, but FJ's do have weaknesses and this is one. FJROD's rig outperformed mine primarily because of his front lockers,
(e) A Stock FJ? I can answer that one - No.

This issue for this sort of combat is one of body armor. THUBUB, DUSTPARK and FJROD had All Pro Extreme Rock Climbing build-outs. My rig is a hybrid of a number of different manufactured and fab'd products and it performed on par with the All Pro solution. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eet-scorpion-uphills-build-up.html#post526280

Yes, the DRIVER is very important, but since you're going to take significant hits in the skids/sliders/lower control arms/front suspension again and again for something on the order of eight or so miles (my estimate of total run including Holcom Creek Trail), the best driver can't fix a boulder ripping out the guts of his truck when the only way over it is to winch yourself over the rock obstacle on your skids.

DUSTPARK's right front sway bar bolt sheared off right at the end of the trail not from any single event that we could attribute it to, but from the relentless pounding of the trail. When the hardened steel bolt snapped, it caused other damage, the boot was sheared in half and the IFS grease fittings splattered the R/F when the lines were cut.

It's easy for us to be smug here on the Forum, but the thing to remember is that you should NEVER try that run alone and I think 3 or 4 rigs are a good safety margain. No matter how well you've built the FJ out from stock to be a rock climber, you will still be damaged, and it's difficult to say when you start the run that you'll be able to finish it. We did, but DUSTPARK will be in the shop.

But we had a GREAT TIME!

· Registered
3,027 Posts
guys, you took the bypass through the center of the falls, you are suppose to go strait up it like the H2s and the Jeeps do, yes we have brought several stock H3s through those trails, come over to Adventure4x4 some times to see pics. It is mostly diver experience that will carry the day, knowing the line as opposed to picking a line can be a hugh difference, Tire time is the key, and I love the pics, the fact that you all tried it is killer, a lot of guys would have backed off. We take Holcomb 5 or 6 times each year, and we love to do snow trips up the falls on Dishpan each winter, it is a hoot when ice is all over those rocks and it is all driver.Fantastic report and great going guys

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
guys, you took the bypass through the center of the falls, you are suppose to go strait up it like the H2s and the Jeeps do, yes we have brought several stock H3s through those trails,
Please post the picts here of the completely stock H-2's and H-3's (or stock FJ's) taking The Waterfall. I'm not saying that they couldn't or didn't, but seeing is believing. Yes I'm a member of Adventure 4x4's but I haven't seen the picts.

· Registered
191 Posts
guys, you took the bypass through the center of the falls, you are suppose to go strait up it like the H2s and the Jeeps do, yes we have brought several stock H3s through those trails, come over to Adventure4x4 some times to see pics. It is mostly diver experience that will carry the day, knowing the line as opposed to picking a line can be a hugh difference, Tire time is the key, and I love the pics, the fact that you all tried it is killer, a lot of guys would have backed off. We take Holcomb 5 or 6 times each year, and we love to do snow trips up the falls on Dishpan each winter, it is a hoot when ice is all over those rocks and it is all driver.Fantastic report and great going guys
I second that Larry, talk is cheap, show us the pics beam.

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Wow, what's up with the beams bashing? :thefinger:
Not bashing -- it's a rough trail and I wouldn't take a stock ANYTHING up there, good driver not. The last time I tried the Deep Creek trail my FJ was more stock than it is today and I (wisely in my opinon) turned around rather than risk serious damage to the rig. Maybe I'm too timid? It's a possibility. I'm fond of my FJ -- maybe too fond.

I just want to see the stock GM products kick Toyota's a$$ and rip up The Waterfall. And if that's the case, maybe we all should turn in our FJ's. Convince me.

I'm in a position to pay CASH for a new H-3. Maybe I made a mistake in buying the FJ. I've only had it 8 months and maybe I could get somebody to take it off my hands. I would honestly LOVE to see a GM or FORD product out-do Toyota. I would prefer to see America back at the top of the automotive heap. It would be better for the country and better for us. So show me (please). I'm planning a URD supercharger and other expensive upgrades for the FJ - keep me from making that mistake.

:notsigned: That's all, no flame.:notsigned:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.